Texture Swap for Models

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never made a suggestion here =P but here goes...

Not sure if it already has been implemented but I was curious if it's possible to have a feature that will allow to swap between textures of a character model for a specific animation.

Think facial expressions, like switching a sub texture for a specific animation
Powering up/transforming/Getting hit:

(Mainly notice the eyes)
May seem dumb to some people but it's a feature that can add a lot of eye-candy and it can be fun to toy around with custom models =P

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it may be possible already, with some qc file editing.... it mite require sub models though, im not sure =\

theres a page somewhere telling all different functions of what is possible, i cant find it though >_<

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it may be possible already, with some qc file editing.... it mite require sub models though, im not sure =\
just look up esf beta 1.1 - trunks melee

its possible, i though about something simmilar just about damaged clothing, like when your under 50hp you get another clothing wich is damaged and bla bla bla

though i gues its not only qc file editing

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just look up esf beta 1.1 - trunks melee

its possible, i though about something simmilar just about damaged clothing, like when your under 50hp you get another clothing wich is damaged and bla bla bla

though i gues its not only qc file editing
Sub model and sub texture are a bit different.
To make a sub model just for a sub texture is a bit too much I think...

Battle damaged clothing is wayyy off from what I'm talking about, I'm talking about simple texture swap.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub model and sub texture are a bit different.
To make a sub model just for a sub texture is a bit too much I think...

Battle damaged clothing is wayyy off from what I'm talking about, I'm talking about simple texture swap.
i was just talking about what i thoug haswell.
well i gues you may need to do a small 128x or 256x map only for the face, and include all emotion faces into the mdl thanks to compiling or simply animate it or make for every emotion a submodel...like you said its to much.... but the hl engine is realyl old, i wouldnt think of that right now.

esf pimped allready so much out of the Halflife engine.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was suggesting a nice, comfortable and easy way to get something simple done =P indeed why should I start making all kinds of maps and submodels.

I'm sure HL can handle this little feature ^^"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
.... im to confused today.... i guesi had a to good new year, well dunno , never heard something of sub texture tbh. so nvm lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was suggesting a nice, comfortable and easy way to get something simple done =P
Yeah I brought this up awhile ago. I wanted to see my models blinking and bleeding and such. I can't remember what the answer was, but it was somewhere around the lines of "Too much work" or "Too much space for all the extra skins."

But who knows what the future holds.

Best answers
Meh, too much space? just convert it into 8-bit with photoshop and ure off.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Meh, too much space? just convert it into 8-bit with photoshop and ure off.
The point is, that you'd need to do them for all the chars. A blinking eye would probably be three skins. I'm not going to do the math, but that's three extra texture files for all our chars and their transformations. And that's just for blinking eyes, not including wounds and attacks and other animations.

It's not just a simple "Let's shave off 5 kb! That'll solve it!" kinda problem.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I brought this up awhile ago. I wanted to see my models blinking and bleeding and such. I can't remember what the answer was, but it was somewhere around the lines of "Too much work" or "Too much space for all the extra skins."

Too much work? T_T darn it seemed so simple when I thought about it.
And about the space, it could be just a feature to be put there for the fans to toy around with, basically the user will choose if he wants to add the extra skins or not.

Xenon

X

Alot of work, yes. But worth it for the sake of a more realistic battle.

Discord Member
Best answers
Well if the community is willing to make the skins......is the team willing to implement it xD.......Jus thinking......Like the operation tien...We finish the skins nd stuff you just implement it ;)

Xenon

X
Well if the community is willing to make the skins......is the team willing to implement it xD.......Jus thinking......Like the operation tien...We finish the skins nd stuff you just implement it ;)
That's actually a really good idea. There are plenty of skinners floating around here, so I think it could be managed, assuming the community would be willing to do so.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kama is the ESF skinner, he also suggested the idea before, I think that he could manage to do all of the skinning work himself since he actually suggested it, by "Too much work" he probably meant coding wise.

Like I said it seemed really like a simple thing to me but I dont know much about coding, hopefully Pcjoe or harSens will be able to drop by this thread to give their opinion about it.

Implementing this feature and letting the fans do their thing with their custom models is also an option if it's a space problem.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SV, I've seen a model which seems to do so, Super Buu from ESF world, use mouthblast and see.

Plus Pokemon Stadium can do it, why not the HL engine?

EDIT: 250 posts in 2 1/2 years. Woo.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
I think it is possible ,it's just much ..much work

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SV, I've seen a model which seems to do so, Super Buu from ESF world, use mouthblast and see.

Plus Pokemon Stadium can do it, why not the HL engine?

EDIT: 250 posts in 2 1/2 years. Woo.
Thats modeled mouth, I know how to do that already, what I suggested is skins, textures, making them swapable, so you can switch around them between animations.

Ryokeen said:
I think it is possible ,it's just much ..much work
Oh =o how much work exactly? just curious...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom