Take THAT Music Industry!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I havent bought a single song... I can surely afford it easily... but... I dunno why not lol...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
your not talking about morals devion, but we are. its not just the legal side, its the moral side as well. i know i would be pissed if someone took stuff from me, i mean... what if someone came into your house, and took something that you worked hard to make, and says "its ok, i wasnt gonna buy it anyway, but ill take it for sure".

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
your not talking about morals devion, but we are. its not just the legal side, its the moral side as well. i know i would be pissed if someone took stuff from me, i mean... what if someone came into your house, and took something that you worked hard to make, and says "its ok, i wasnt gonna buy it anyway, but ill take it for sure".
As I stated before, I'm taking, but you aint losing anything.

And if I find an album that is good, I would buy it.

I see it as try it for you buy it.

And you werent also talking about morals, but about the law, saiyan pride was talking about morals.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You are both right ok? now thats it :p geez lololol =P

But if you want to TRY it there is allot of like... sites of the authors that you can lisn to the music online like relient k(band) 's music can be lisntened to online. quite nice band anyways.

If i was in Girs shoes i would aslso be like "nOOO dont do it its bad" and such but if I aint its like "I dont give a crap cuz life is just about me and I am selfish"

IMO albums are not that expensive at all. But we are just to lazy to buy them or rather use the money for somthing else i guess.

I might buy and album... or I might buy me some pie :p and then download the music.

know what i am saying?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i have a question

have you ever test driven a car? did u buy the car right after that? now why didnt you buy the car even though you have test driven it?

1. its an issue of money
2. its an issue of how much you liked it
3. its stupid to buy something without knowing if its what you really wanted.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
VivaLaPineapple said:
i have a question

have you ever test driven a car? did u buy the car right after that? now why didnt you buy the car even though you have test driven it?

1. its an issue of money
Ding, ding, ding, jackpot.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VivaLaPineapple said:
i have a question

1. its an issue of money
That would be more like stealing the car off the lot (downloading music) instead of test driving it (music clips available at most stores).

"But officer I didn't know if I really wanted it, so I took it anyway because I wanted to make use of it without paying for it, becuse I'll be damned if I'm going to pay a dime for using something I'm not sure I want."

Anyway I'm not going to try and say I don't download music just the same as everybody else. I do, and yes it's technically wrong, and I'm not going to defend it on a moral level. Though, like people have already said, if I have a healthy respect for the band, I will buy the album. I refuse to spend a dime let alone 15 bucks of my money on crap music and one MAYBE semi-good song, as people have also said. That right there is probably the best argument for downloading music. Though... there are sites where you can buy single songs for like, a dollar or something. If I'm going to download something, I'm going to look for a way to do it free first. That's just the way it is.

A perfect example of this is the newest A Perfect Circle album. They had one or two good songs on it. The rest were.. well.. crap. My dad was pretty pissed he wasted the money on it. My parents even take CD's out from the local library and have me rip the tracks off and burn them a copy. Now go back a few years. Disturbed filled up their CD with good songs. I could listen to the entire thing and not have to skip any tracks. I bought that CD.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned IRC. Torrents, IRC, Kazaa, DC++, there are even some non-us sites that have music up for grabs.

I really hope Pride isn't right about the "no new original music" thing either. As it stands now Punk and Emo are the current fad, and I'll be damned if there are anymore crap bands like Good Charlotte or Sum 41 or Simple Plan (or whatever ****ty punk/emo/crap band is popular right now) defiling my eardrums with their ****.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For the THOUSAND time I said, I(!) can download it legal here, for MYself.

I already said, sharing is against the law.
But Devion...you're downloading it from a source that exists because people uploaded it. You say uploading is illegal. So...what's that make what you're doing?

Pain said:
I really hope Pride isn't right about the "no new original music" thing either. As it stands now Punk and Emo are the current fad, and I'll be damned if there are anymore crap bands like Good Charlotte or Sum 41 or Simple Plan (or whatever ****ty punk/emo/crap band is popular right now) defiling my eardrums with their ****.
I think that there will always be one or two fads going but none that are really original or new stuff. When Jimi Hendrix came out...the opposing record companies looked for something ELSE that could maybe get a similar reaction, not a second version of Jimi Hendrix (which they wouldn't have been able to find anyway--not for another ten years or so, anyhow).

There will always be one or two stupid things that will rise up and only be popular in a temporary way but they will always be only slight variants of something that always existed already. Emo is just a slightly more wussified version of 'light punk' that bands like Blink 182 popularized. Blink 182 is pretty boy punk--cute songs with light-hearted hooks played by effeminitely handsome frontmen. Both are cut from the same cloth, you see. So it really doesn't matter. In the future names will be given to SUBgenres, just like they are now, and we'll CALL them new kinds of music, but really it will all be marketing stuff that dictates such thing. Sometimes the criteria is pathetic, though.

As an example, emo is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of, because it gets its name from the content of the lyrics and that's just stupid. Emo is what happens when a punk band's primary songwriter gets dumped by his girlfriend; it's not even worth calling it a genre of music.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
.... you're talking about popular punk? sorry but i hate it when people can generalise punk based on that kinda music, im a big real punk fan. There is a few really good emo bands out there but they are few and far between, for example, saves the day are one of my favs, hot rod circuit are also pretty good, their lyrics are damn good, and some of the music is really well written, they've been around for quite a long time too. Blink 182 used to be a pretty hardcore punk band a while ago before they got famous, then they started trying to copy NOFX. Sum 41, good charlotte and **** like that arent punk, they're pop punk. Sorry but real punk is still rather underground and unknown. Had to get that off my chest...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Real punk" has existed since the 70's. I played bass in a band that opened for Showcase Showdown in Boston.

The things that categorize the style are same throughout. All the bands mentioned are just pluses and minuses, really:

NOFX = punk + more complicated chords, Green Day = Punk + more melodic vocals, Offspring = Punk + high voices + topical lyrics, Blink 182 = Punk - All Balls - All Angst + Clean Guitar work, Good Charlotte = Punk with a dash of emo + a dash of pop.

Big thanks for proving my point, too:
Pride said:
In the future names will be given to SUBgenres, just like they are now, and we'll CALL them new kinds of music
Davidskiwan said:
Sum 41, good charlotte and **** like that arent punk, they're pop punk. Sorry but real punk is still rather underground and unknown.
Either way, what does any of this matter? It's no different then me getting mad at someone calling Children of Bodom 'metal' instead of 'death metal.' It is what it is, and you can differentiate as much as you want to make yourself feel segregated from the parts people don't like--pop punk is still under that same umbrella, like it or not; it's a derivative of punk no matter what word you put in front of it, same way all the [something] metals and [something]cores are derivative.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the point being is punk is supposed to be rather anti capitalist, where as these "pop" punk bands, all seem to be in it for the money, i dont like the two being associated, as the principles behind the music are not the same, infact they're two opposites. I know what you're saying, like i said i just hate the generalisation, as the two "genre's" have different principles. Not to mention they dont sound the same. You wouldnt associate Nazi's with liberalism would you? thats why i feel they should be disticntly different.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I see your point. But when I say cut from the same cloth, I mean that musically speaking the songs and sounds have similarities. I wouldn't associate a nazi with a liberalists, but if the liberalist was wearing the same uniform as the nazi, saying similar things, and only notably different by his motives, it might be easier to confuse the two.

I don't think it's a matter of anything about being after money. Fact is, pop punk bands are more marketable--Blink, Sum41, Good Charlotte, they all have things in common that make them easy to sell. Pretty front men, ballady songs, light-hearted playful yet extreme image. These are the same things that make Avril Lavigne famous.

Really we're getting off the topic here, so I'll bring it back by saying this: nobody wants an ugly person as a marketing crutch. It's damn near impossible; today's world is obsessed with appearance. The reason is because it's easier and less costly to market a sexy looking artist. Honestly it requires almost no effort from the record companies at all, really.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dave, i say this as a friend >_>

go ask johnny rotten what he thinks about all his money >_>

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
johnny rottern is a self involved ****, he was part of a manufactured band. He's no punk.

woops for the offtopicness >_< forgot, but yar, i agree that it hurts artists, its just im too selfish enough to stop downloading, if i had the money to spare i'd buy more albums, but as it is... i cant afford to =\

Best answers
u do know they charge less on the sites because of the extra shipping and handling fees right?
You do know that Circuit City and Best Buy OVERPRICE their CD's anyway, and that you'd be better of going to a music store like Boarders to get a good price, right? And just... no, I can guarantee that the Circuit City's prices are the same in the store as they are online. They keep the online price the same as the in-store price purposely. Know why? So they don't lose money on the "Purchases $25 and over are FREE" deal. I wouldn't have posted those sites if I wasn't damn sure of the prices, the only alternative for me is to go into the store and take pictures, which I'm NOT going to do.

As I stated before, I'm taking, but you aint losing anything.
How? If I have a pie, and you go Star Ocean style on me and draw an edible copy of that pie, how am I not losing a profit?

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
But Devion...you're downloading it from a source that exists because people uploaded it. You say uploading is illegal. So...what's that make what you're doing?
For the last time, IT DOESNT MATTER.

The dutch "auteurswet"(sort of copyright law) says you can make a copy for yourself, no matter the source.

And yes sharing is illegal, downloading isnt, it may sound weird, but thats the law.

Also I just read over it, Axman, you said you needed to learn the dutch law to get your citizenship.

That's bull****, you dont need to learn the law, only the constitution.(You just have to know what it contains)

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blah blah blah BLAH.

This thread is going nowhere fast. Instead of people voicing their opinions on the subject. It's turned into an all out war between those who do, and those who don't. Let me remind everyone that while someone's opinion or behaviour differs from your own, that by no means gives you the right to drag the thread off-topic in a battle of who has the better morals. On that note, I think this has gone on far long enough.

- Closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom