Take THAT Music Industry!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
After seeing a story on the news about how the RIAA are trying to ban the legal ripping of CD's, I went looking for more info and found this:

It's funny how the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) have slowly 'taken over'. I remember when they were a small viglante-like group taking on (and beating) Napster, and now they have more power than the artists themselves.

http://www.wired.com/news/mp3/0,1285,54773,00.html

Anyway, after a bit of thought I decided to thread it for discussion, i'd be interested to hear what you (the world :O!!!) think about it :) I don't think this is political enough to be considered...political.

EDIT: Censored image for family forum goodness.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not going to say much, I don't think it's necessary; it won't really change anything.

I just see it as a case where technology grew faster (it tends to do that) than the law. The law'll catch up eventually.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
eh, i don't think that they are really going to press down on people. I mean, even if it is banned, it will still happen. It's like drugs, those are banned but still sold. Whether it's illegal or not it's going to happen, people will rip and burn cd's and download ****. Like bit torrent for example. All that copy write stuff, it's all illegal, but people download it anyway. There isn't anyone can do about it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Burning of cd's were suppose to have been so that you can take your favorite songs off the cd's you have purchased, and put them on one "mixtape." People then abused the technology by hosting the songs on p2p programs and thus began illegal downloading. But bootlegging has been here for ages, so it would not stop because it's a way of american society such as drugs and alchohol. But being an artist, I DO respect the artists now and buy their cd's when i want to hear them. I know what it feels like to be bootlegged and it aint a good feeling. Artists put there heart and soul into their writing, recording, vocals and everything to be ripped off by the public. If half of you understood what it takes to record one decent song, then you'll respect them too. :)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I bought the music, it's my property. I can do anything I want with it short of copyright infringement.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Same usually, but i'll almost always download the tracks first. That's the way it is.

And I think if it's made illegal then Microsoft will have to release a new WMP that doesn't allow ripping or burning :(

Thing is, the comic is right, the court doesn't care if you own the CD's as well, because you can copy and distribute the mp3's. Stop funding terrorism :O

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ice Man said:
If half of you understood what it takes to record one decent song, then you'll respect them too. :)
I know a band that recorded an entire cd in a day :D Pretty good damn cd too.

But yeah, i know where your going with this. But it's not going to stop, not anytime soon.

I'm not sure if i'd like it to stop, cuz i mean, i have dled gb's of music but only becuase i can't afford it. If i could pay for cd's hell yes i'd buy them. I feel bad that i can't. But i'm just not sure >.> I know this goes against the policy of the forums, but eh, i feel it needed to be addressed.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be honest, I can't remember the last time I bought a cd. Why buy it when I can get it for free in a much more convenient manor?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I understand record artists need money too..But you steal an apple from the super market, its no where near the penalty for stealing ONE song form someone who is rich. 99% of the time, i only want ONE song on a cd, but they have ways that you can but single set songs on the internet, which is good, a nice way to get the songs you want without stealing.

If you are 18 years and older... You have to make an account, have billing account, which i dont have and it is tetious to have to ask your parent to create an account just for ONE song. Not saying im gonna start downlaoding music, since i dont wanna take the risk of gettign sued to a rediculous amount, but good god.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt said:
I bought the music, it's my property. I can do anything I want with it short of copyright infringement.
actually, the law says your not even allowed to play that cd at an audable volume of > 10db while there are >= 16 people present, as you are then making a broadcast. you cannot reproduce the cd for anything other than personal means. which means that you can only use it to back up the media. and your also not allowed to lend the cd to your friends. that too, is against the law.

that being said, my opinion is, as a guitarrist, who wants to make a career out of this.

i put a lot of money into recording an album last year, nearly £1300. which was spent on marketing, and production in the local area.

of that, i made a loss of -£740, over half. now, take into account that we were playing at venues of 500+ people, and we were selling the cd's at £5 a go. you would think that someone would buy some cd's right? i mean, it cant be that they dont like the music, otherwise why would they go to the concert?

a short while later i found some of the songs floating around the net...

you do the math.

my opinion is, if this was my actual career, (and i want it to be). people who download music for free, are robbing me of my wages, and thus, my means of supporting myself.

ive got nothing against people lending a cd to a mate, or sending a song or two over msn. but downloading is ****ed up, and i think bastards who download should realise how hard it actually does hit the industry.

if theres no one to pay the entertainers, eventually, there wont be any left. and then what you gonna do??

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
whatever happened to the old purpose of creating music being enjoyable and not profitable?

seriously isnt music supposed to be something that should be free to listen to?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DaRkOwNs said:
whatever happened to the old purpose of creating music being enjoyable and not profitable?

seriously isnt music supposed to be something that should be free to listen to?
i agree, and im actually not in it for the money...

HOWEVER, in order to be a full time musician, you have to well... not have another job. cos believe me, writing songs, practicing, performing, touring, and then having to work as well? dude... seriously harsh. so how are yuo gunna stay alive while your not working?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
that being said, my opinion is, as a guitarrist, who wants to make a career out of this.

i put a lot of money into recording an album last year, nearly £1300. which was spent on marketing, and production in the local area.

of that, i made a loss of -£740, over half. now, take into account that we were playing at venues of 500+ people, and we were selling the cd's at £5 a go. you would think that someone would buy some cd's right? i mean, it cant be that they dont like the music, otherwise why would they go to the concert?

a short while later i found some of the songs floating around the net...

you do the math.

my opinion is, if this was my actual career, (and i want it to be). people who download music for free, are robbing me of my wages, and thus, my means of supporting myself.

ive got nothing against people lending a cd to a mate, or sending a song or two over msn. but downloading is ****ed up, and i think bastards who download should realise how hard it actually does hit the industry.

if theres no one to pay the entertainers, eventually, there wont be any left. and then what you gonna do??
This is why i feel bad when i DL music :(

Just because you love to do something doesn't mean that you have to make it free. If you want to do the things you love (for example Almighty_Gir's love as a musician) you need to get paid for it.

Yeah, sorry, i guess i'm on both sides for this debate. Although i hate the fact i DL music, it's the only way for me to obtain it, and i hate, HATE, going a day with out music. Hell, i hate it when music isn't on. (sorry Mad_AxMan, i wanna be on your side on this one, but i can't >.>) For the record, i haven't dled music since i lost my high speed, which is 5 months... if that helps any <: /

Best answers
I never download music. It's blatant thievery, one song or 1000. That said, I don't find anything wrong with ripping if you're just going to put the songs on an Ipod or just to have on your PC. If you make ripping illegal, you're eliminating quite a market. Except I'd be very interested to know how one would enforce such a law.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While it must really hurt to see your sweat and calloused fingers being stolen, I have heard that some bands actually use it to get their name out.

After hearing your story, I will never download songs from any small time artist. I still feel that many artists have too much money (ever turn on MTV?) and I will gladly rip, burn and share their songs merely out of spite. Now, if only I could stomach their music...

Best answers
Though I do download music, you have to look at it from a musician's standpoint. If I knew people were paying nothing for music that I worked my ass off to make, I'd be kinda pissed too, and I would look at the RIAA a little differently. But if I were a musician with enough money to feed Africa, no, I wouldn't give a ****. But I would care about other artists who aren't as well off as I am, and that they're being ripped off.
On one hand, I feel for the artists, but on my other much more important and dominant hand, I don't give a ****.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I havn't bought a CD in years. I sleep fine at night.

Best answers
I'm being a hipocrit in saying this. Coz i am guilty of the afor mentioned crime.
But what really annoys me is that peopel think it's their RIGHT to be able to hear these songs for free. But the thing is it cost money to make the songs and it is a product. It's stealing but people don't take it as seriously as stealing a TV from an electronic store but it's exactly the same thing. Same with movies. At my house we have like 1000 dvd's (all bought). But we have this family friend that thinks it's their right that they be able to take our dvd's home and burn them. It's stealing from the people who made it, the retail stores, and it's like i bloody bought the dvd for them but they don't see it that way. And what REALLY pissses me off is when they say "they've made it legal now". WHERE IS THE LOGIC IN THAT?!?!!?!? Why the hell would they invest hundreds of millions of dollars in making a movie and hand it to u for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom