Star Wars: The Old Republic going Free 2 play up to Level 50 this fall.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://kotaku.com/5930586/star-wars-the-old-republic-is-going-free+to+play-up-to-level-50-this-fall

Earlier this year, the game became free-to-play until level 15. This fall, players will be able to play any storyline up to level 50 for free. To access higher-level game content and other new features that the company plans to implement, you'll have to either pay for a subscription or buy things individually.
So basically, LOTRO route. Profitable route.

http://kotaku.com/5930586/star-wars-the-old-republic-is-going-free+to+play-up-to-level-50-this-fall

Yeah, we all saw this coming.

But damn, not even a full year lol.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pshtosh.

All big words and no backup. Shows that even popular franchise can't beat stagnant mechanics.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Limited PvP and no raiding was what I read on Joystiq comments. Not impressed! Might try it sometime though! But not my cup of tea.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just as a general rule, if you like WoW, you'll like star wars. They're pretty much identical, and now that WoW is subtly adding a bunch of mechanics into their system that SW has, it'll have the advantage solely because they had been around when the subscription was the way to go and have already accrued a massive base of gamers.

One thing I really like about star wars is how big physics plays a part in the game. There's an end game boss that -needs- to be force pushed off a bridge into an endless abyss.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Am I the only one playing SWTOR here?
I used to play it, but when my subscription ended the game was buggy and performed badly, so I didn't continue with it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes. The game sucks. Go play PSO2 which isn't point and click.
Hlev, stop trolling man. Didn't we just have a big whine fest thread about crap like this?

I play it as well. I think it's a great game and they've ironed out a majority of the problems with the game, and added a group finder for flashpoints and operations. Has a lot of good stories in it, a much more fleshed out leveling experience than world of warcraft and various other mmo's that i've played.

It's just a new game, and the F2P doesn't surprise me. I think that was their contingency since before release.

Bottom line is it's a good game, just very new. I guarantee every other mmo that's been released in the last 10 years had a far worse first year.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I played it for about a week and a half. Realized it was World of Warcraft with Star Wars skins and slightly modified combat. It really could have been so much more but it turned into this. Let alone the game is close to less than a million subscribers. This game needs to be shut down for a year or two and be remade.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I played it for about a week and a half. Realized it was World of Warcraft with Star Wars skins and slightly modified combat. It really could have been so much more but it turned into this. Let alone the game is close to less than a million subscribers. This game needs to be shut down for a year or two and be remade.
It actually still has more than half a million subscribers. Seriously? Shut down for a year or two and be remade? In what world could that even begin to work, after the fact that they have invested a lot of money in the game and desperately need make that money back somehow?

What worries me, but also at the same time makes me happy is the fact that the full story of you character is open for free-to-players. This may be bad because that would be basically the whole reason why I actually wanted to play the game in the first place, for the story, being one of the people who would have actually been happier with a KotoR 3. But this means there will be nothing that would even make me think of spending a dime on anything. I can just get the game play the story like I always wanted to and then just leave.

Woooh either there is something extremely evil behind this decision, or they don't actually know how to make proper F2P restrictions...

Last edited:
FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
With half a million subscribers they would be making 7 million and a half dollars EVERY MONTH, that's still a shitload of money, I don't know why people call it a failure... I really like the game, it's true it has to improve in many aspects, but they have been working on it, I believe this game will evolve a lot as the months go by.

They only screwed up when they nerfed my class... bastards!

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
With half a million subscribers they would be making 7 million and a half dollars EVERY MONTH, that's still a shitload of money, I don't know why people call it a failure... I really like the game, it's true it has to improve in many aspects, but they have been working on it, I believe this game will evolve a lot as the months go by.

They only screwed up when they nerfed my class... bastards!
Well most of the people who say the game failed are the same people that said it will be a WoW killer when it comes out. They set those hyped expectations themselves, not somebody else.

I don't think the devs ever bragged about it replacing WoW in the MMORPG market.

It's biggest problem is that at it's core it's just like WoW. Most people wanted a bit more than that, well that is if again they didn't actually want a KotoR 3 in the first place.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The game in total was a big flop. I knew it would never be a WoW killer but I didn't think they would be so stupid as to make it just like WoW in so many aspects. If you think Lucas Arts is hurting for any money from this game, then you are crazy. They don't need to make any money back from this game.

The servers are so dead they wont even show the Server Status on the main pages anymore. They even lowered the standard of 1000 players being medium capacity on it to 500 being medium before they just completely took it down. As I said, scrap what they can from this game, remake it, and give it what it really should have been.

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, what really got me into it is the story, all the different stories for the classes, I only played one out of the 8 possible class stories in the game.

I don't care about WoW, played it on free trial once, never came back, found it to be such a boring game.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I loved the story to Warcraft 1 through 3. I loved WoW's Story to Burning Crusade and A little into WOTLK. I am no guy who loved Star Wars. I thought it was pretty cool but wasn't fully interested in it. Going based off of the story bits that I do know the story in TOR was good. The thing is... TOR is literally WoW with Star Wars Models and Mapping.

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm a Star Wars fan, but in the end, I would stop playing this game if they released a proper new Star Wars game, what I want is a space combat flight simulator based on the Star Wars universe, THAT WOULD BE THE STUFF!

I always liked space games, too bad they have become so rare since the 90's were over...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They did something like that with the Star Trek game but currently I believe EVE Online is still ruling the Space Games.

I have always wanted to try EVE Online but... That game gets expensive.

FP Wannabe
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
But I mean a more realistic thing, I don't know exactly how EVE goes, but it looks more like point and click, I'm talking about being inside of a cockpit dogfighting using my Joystick.

The game I've been waiting for is Angels Fall First: Planetstorm.

You can actually move around in first person with weapons and everything inside big space cruisers, pilot it, man turrets, get in fighters docked inside the cruiser... it's amazing, I can't post a link right now, but I will later.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I loved the story to Warcraft 1 through 3. I loved WoW's Story to Burning Crusade and A little into WOTLK. I am no guy who loved Star Wars. I thought it was pretty cool but wasn't fully interested in it. Going based off of the story bits that I do know the story in TOR was good. The thing is... TOR is literally WoW with Star Wars Models and Mapping.
I'm assuming you haven't played it all the way through. I'm not gonna pretend that there aren't a lot of similarities, but it's in no way a WoW clone. For one, SW does alot of things right that Blizzard didn't seem to realize until The Old Republic debuted. Even checking out the beta, they are adding in a bunch of small details into mists of pandaria that came directly from TOR.

second, and the reason I like Star Wars above WoW atm, is the boss battles and physics. The majority of the end game bosses have really fun and fascinating mechanics to beating them, something world of warcraft seems to not bother to do anymore. With the exception of a couple unique bosses, mostly the deathwings and that worm thing in blackwing. And that being said, in SW, the physics engine is a valid way to deal with most enemies. Particularly hard mob that's prone to knock back? Throw him off a damn cliff.

The other reason I like star wars is the general uniqueness of some of the classes. True, the knight is a warrior/paladin/dk clone, and the consular is a priest, but show me what class a trooper or imperial agent corresponds to in WoW.

Yet another reason I like Star wars is the ongoing story. Something World of Warcraft doesn't bother with past level 10. You actually feel like your character, and you actually develop preferences for which companion you use.

All I'm trying to say, granted this is a game I'll probably defend to the death solely because it's KoTor, is that you can't base your judgement off of what is similar to World of Warcraft. They did a lot different and a lot of what they did similarly is done even better. If you don't like star wars, that's cool, but saying it's a WoW clone is pretty baseless. Especially if you haven't gotten any higher than level 20, which is where the classes start to build some unique properties.

/endrant

P.s. Sorry, forgot to add this. Yet another major different in SW that i find preferable is the lack of auto-attacking. If your not hitting your slash button, or shoot, or something along those lines your not dealing damage. And while this is minor, it also means that you don't get any free procs. Also, force choke.

/realendrant

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom