Spike TV Video Game Awards 2004

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VivaLaPineapple said:
EA is the freaking devil man have u heard about that bs they pulled to get the rights to certain NFL teams?
No, please enlighten me...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hwoarang said:
No, please enlighten me...
they "gave" the NFL "money" to "buy" the "rights" to making NFL games

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How is that an evil thing?

It's called purchasing rights, it happens all the time.

Best answers
I'm saying exactly that. SpikeTV was going to hand the most awards to whoever had the biggest bank account to sponsor the show with. EA bucked up to the plate, and they got into the winner's circle.

It would have been nice, if GOTY was a VOTE from the fans. And that's what woulda made the awards show something I would watch. But no, they're ****ing corporate whores, and they don't know **** about gaming. The only reason they even hosted a GOTY show was to get some money off of the fans, and game companies.

SpikeTV, go **** yourselves...

Don't be fooled into thinking anything SpikeTV says means anything. They know as much about games as you know about cold fusion.

And to further my point... Watch them review a game... They describe Radiosity, and other such effects as, "neat little sparkly effects..."

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is the stupidest thread ever.

First, we have someone from--what is it, like iceland or the netherlands or something like that?--complaining that a white person said they didn't find a game that completely mocks african american culture to a point of complete ridiculousness entertaining. No offense, but San Andreas IS ridiculous. Not bad, but the fact that the game world is pretty much ENTIRELY populated by mocking versions of african american pop culture is just ridiculous. It's not like the guy was saying he hated black people--I wouldn't want to play a game that was that type of thing either. Why? Because it's just a lame thing they did for shock value anyway, and the "gamer demographic" just plain isn't a million Lil Bow Wow clones. Period, end of sentence.

As for the award show itself, it is just a terribly put together show. Presenters fumble with their lines, awards are given out arbitrarily (I'm sorry, but in a year of HL2's, Doom3's, Far Cry's, and Halo2's, a Gran Turismo type game has NO BUSINESS being nominated for ANYTHING even REMOTELY RESEMBLING game of the year). It's just a terrible show. They miscoordinated Motley Crue's backing tracks and ****ed them up royally. They gave awards to people who were big celebrities that were attending just to have the excuse of having them onstage. The dialog was terrible. And the part that pisses me off the MOST...

...is that they haven't the SLIGHTEST CLUE WHAT THE **** THE GAMER DEMOGRAPHIC IS.

A show full of rappers, contrasted starkly by bull**** like "Hot girls reading cheat codes"...it's like, "Only cool black people and really nerdy white people play video games," neither of which is really 100% true. Nor is it the ONLY group.

I mean, let's face it guys, the corporate entity sees us as a bunch of snotnosed brats who are desperate for female contact.

All I know is I've been dedicated to video games for a long time now, and that show did not in any way shape or form reach out to me. People can complain all they want when someone says, "One of the reasons I didn't like the show was because almost the whole thing was black dudes and rappers," but that isn't a racist statement, it's a fact. You think if you put Snoop Dogg at like, the Queen Of England's Royal House Party, he's going to have a good time? You think that Source awards being handed out to people who suck by really old white people who have no clue about rap wouldn't piss him off?

No matter what any of our opinions, we can all safely say they completely missed the mark on all counts. The only people they geared the show for--the black male audience between 14-20--would never have actually watched that **** anyway. I personally am not so mad about the racial differences, but the show was very clearly molded for the "urban" audience. That's not the only people on earth who use playstations. The racial differences don't even bother me, cause it's all good either way. What bothers me, is the complete illegitimacy of the whole show. It was complete garbage from a TV standpoint, and from a standpoint of representing us as a group.

Honestly, the "hot girls" thing and the slutty Bloodrayne voiceovers pissed me off more than anything else...they think we can't get laid and are desperate losers.

Although...one thing I am happy about...

...I didn't see one drop of mention for Nintendo. Heh.

Think we'll ever escape the stereotypes?

Lid

L
Let's not forget in the pre-awards show in the "Upcoming Gamez of 2005" they featured footage of Zelda: Windwaker.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, he show was crap, I watched the first 3 or 4 minutes of it and just changed the channel. The "Sluggasense" went off, so I didn't have the pleasure of watching the rest of that crappy show.

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
This is the stupidest thread ever.
This might be the only post i agree with you with in the long run.

First, we have someone from--what is it, like iceland or the netherlands or something like that?--complaining that a white person said they didn't find a game that completely mocks african american culture to a point of complete ridiculousness entertaining.
That post right there, just showed pretty much why this is one of the stupidest threads ever. Also the guy who started the thread *****ing about a game not winning on some bull**** award show just makes this thread even more pointless.

No offense, but San Andreas IS ridiculous.
That's your oppion, not a fact hopefully you kept that in mind.

Not bad, but the fact that the game world is pretty much ENTIRELY populated by mocking versions of african american pop culture is just ridiculous.
The entire game world isnt populated by mocking version's of African Amercain Pop Culture. Im sure you couldnt listen 10 games on 3 of these next generation systems that in anyway mocks the A-A Pop Culture.

It's not like the guy was saying he hated black people--I wouldn't want to play a game that was that type of thing either.
Yea ok, so that's your oppion, you wouldn't want to play those type of games and no one is forcing you or the person your defending to play these type of games. The only diffrence btw you and him, is that he's *****ing about it.

Why? Because it's just a lame thing they did for shock value anyway, and the "gamer demographic" just plain isn't a million Lil Bow Wow clones. Period, end of sentence.
Lil Bow Wow Clones?!?! Yea Right. If that's the case, then i can say every FPS is lame as well since all of them are basically the same, ya know jame bond clones running around shooting everything in sight and advancing to the next level and alot of games fall into the category like Halo 2, Half Life 2, Doom 3, and ect. That is nothing more then just your oppion.

I mean, let's face it guys, the corporate entity sees us as a bunch of snotnosed brats who are desperate for female contact.
And i will have to agree with that, maybe not all but there's a good number of them. Obviously if anyone here who has played online games line CS and ect or any of that, try changing your name or telling anyone in that server that your a female and watch how everyones attention is set on you and you only as well as asking personal questions. They sound pretty damn desprate too me.

All I know is I've been dedicated to video games for a long time now, and that show did not in any way shape or form reach out to me. People can complain all they want when someone says, "One of the reasons I didn't like the show was because almost the whole thing was black dudes and rappers," but that isn't a racist statement, it's a fact.
That might be a fact, but thats a racist comment regardless to what you say. There's certain ways to word things, but people tend to not actually think before expressing those things to everyone which can come off pretty offensive to some people and it should. Someone couldve said..

( I really didn't like the award show due to mostly everything being about rappers and hip-hop performances. I feel that they couldve included more rock artist performances, since they kinda outdid everything in the whole urban area event.)

Notice the term black, didn't have to be used not once.

You think if you put Snoop Dogg at like, the Queen Of England's Royal House Party, he's going to have a good time?
I dont know, and neither do you that's basically just a minor assumption.

You think that Source awards being handed out to people who suck by really old white people who have no clue about rap wouldn't piss him off?
Well duh, the source award is basically an African Amercain event for the hip-hop culture that so many people online seem to have a problem with.

No matter what any of our opinions, we can all safely say they completely missed the mark on all counts. The only people they geared the show for--the black male audience between 14-20--would never have actually watched that **** anyway. I personally am not so mad about the racial differences, but the show was very clearly molded for the "urban" audience. That's not the only people on earth who use playstations.
Yes and ask yourself this, if it wasnt geared to urban audience in anyway at all, would anyone be complaining?? Did blacks complain when MTV was focoused more on the white culture at one time and point then a mixture of what it is today?? So ****ing what it was geared towards the urban audience for one event. Your *****ing as if every event is going to be focoused on that. You say the racial diffrence dosen"t bother you but your making it clearly obvious that it does.

Everyone is fully aware that blacks arent the only people who play playstation, and it's just a damn game award show it's not something you had to watch. If it got too you that much, then send emails to spiketv how you feel about the lack of anything outside the urban culture since we all know everyone at the event was black anyway, right??..

The racial differences don't even bother me, cause it's all good either way.
That has yet to been proven.

What bothers me, is the complete illegitimacy of the whole show. It was complete garbage from a TV standpoint, and from a standpoint of representing us as a group.

Yes, you might be right.

Honestly, the "hot girls" thing and the slutty Bloodrayne voiceovers pissed me off more than anything else...they think we can't get laid and are desperate losers.
50/50 So i can say that there right to some extent.

Although...one thing I am happy about...

...I didn't see one drop of mention for Nintendo. Heh.
That was the worst part of the show how can you say that!!!

Think we'll ever escape the stereotypes?
Everyone in this world are stereotypes in some form or matter. Most of you just dont admit it, or either have failed to realize it yet.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This argument of who is being racist, and who is not, needs to stop. Recognising race period, is racism.

This thread is about a fairly disorganized award show, and it needs to stay that way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
when they purchased the rights to certain teams that means no other companys can use those teams in their games, its a 5 year deal aswell so u wont see any other game except for madden that will have a full NFL roster. unless EA decides to let other companys use those teams which they wont

Best answers
in short imo these awards sucked so bad......GTA SA won game of the year......if u ask me it was pretty much just watch snoop dog talk in a mic the whole time.....also they had mostly rap music and im not a rap fan either but i mean i dont know many gamers into rap and i know plenty in my area lol, just my 2 cents =P

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VivaLaPineapple said:
when they purchased the rights to certain teams that means no other companys can use those teams in their games, its a 5 year deal aswell so u wont see any other game except for madden that will have a full NFL roster. unless EA decides to let other companys use those teams which they wont
Seems like smart buisness, not to mention that their NFL games rock.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I loved how on multiple occasions they called san andreas gta 2, that right there shows you how bad the whole thing was.

Well at least you got to see motley crue at the end.

Lid

L
VivaLaPineapple said:
Pfft. Pro Evo Soccer up until this year didn't have licences because of Fifa and it was still the best soccer game.

Best answers
Hash said:
I loved how on multiple occasions they called san andreas gta 2, that right there shows you how bad the whole thing was.

Well at least you got to see motley crue at the end.
yea forgot to mention that in my post lol those spots there proved they were memorizing a buncha **** wrote down lol and going by what they know......which isnt much to go on lmao

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sakura said:
And i say, your a guy, making a thread over some bull**** award show that didn't pick what you thought shouldve been game of the year and now your upset because alot of years went into making HL2 and it didn't get picked based off your oppion. I tell you what, next time you find yourself getting angry over something that didn't sastify your own selfish desires, try thinking about everyone else around the world who actually enjoy playing this so called " Crap, Crippity Crip Crap " game known as GTA SA.

I personally find HL2 & Halo 2 to be some of the most overrated games in there time. I dont care how many year's were spent on devlopment. The game didn't win game of the year, so what who cares, you have your copy and you know what you like and dont like so dont ***** about it. I wished MGS 3 wouldve won but it didn't so oh well, congratulations to GTA SA on its GOTY Victory.
For christ sake, lighten the **** up. I was merely trying to see what everyone's opinions on the award show was. And I now know the reason why HL2 didn't recieve GOTY, and GTA: SA did. It's because Half-Life 2 isn't out on consoles yet. The majority of people have consoles, not computers (Or not computers that can run Half-Life 2 anyway). So there, I'm not mad anymore, as I've figured it out. And before you come in another thread acting like a little *****, I suggest you take a couple deep breaths. If you're going to act that way about something, then it's best to just stay out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom