Soul Calibur 2

Best answers
I think Ivy is much harder to use then Voldo, when dealing with certain characters. Ivy's epyhon whip sword can be really cheap at times.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find it mildly amusing that you keep saying that SC2 is bad because a newbie can kill a moderately skilled player, while posting on the ESF Forum.

Know what HOWing is? ^_^ The point is, the same is true for Tekken. I've seen moderately skilled people defeated by a person playing their first time, with Christie and Eddy, but those games have been heralded. The same for DOA3, people using Jahn Lee.

Almost every game has a 'cheap character' that can win with button mashing, but the point is that it doesn't work against truly skilled people, just like HOWing doesn't work against truly skilled ESF players.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saying you've got a thousand wins in conquest mode doesn't say a whole lot. The computer is dumb as a brick. Even on the highest difficulty settings all they can do is parry every other attack. Skillful players will wait and watch your character while he's flailing about and when the timing is right they'll side step in and pull off a combo. Sure, there is always the chance that they will get killed by the button mashing, but it isn't as likely as you think it is. The computer is no example of that.

Best answers
If u fight a button masher just keep doing counters, it works really well.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, 1m4, You keep saying the same thing over and over again... in ANY game a newbie has a chance at killing a moderatly skilled player... ANY GAME. You might think that he's a pro, becuase you haven't seen anyone better than that certain player. Keep in mind, just becuase someone is better than you, doesn't make them a pro. If a real Pro fights a newbie, i can garauntee you that he will wipe the floor with him. If not, well then he's obviously not a pro. If you don't like it it's fine, but you don't have to start accusing it of being a button mashing game, becuase any fighter has the capability to be a masher, and also the ability to be a greatly strategic fighting game(with the exception of Budokai).

By the way, that sword attack you're talking about with yoshimitsu is easily avoided by rolling or blocking, and yes even while you're already on the gorund

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just because the computer ai is stupid in conquest mode doesnt mean it doesnt tell u anything about what a characters weaknesses and strengths are. ive been to sc2 tournemnts here in vegas, i watch alot of video game tounement videos, so i know what is a pro and what isnt.

and im aware of back roll against yoshimitsu but alot of the time it doesnt go far back enough depending on where yoshimistsu is.

and i dont play esf so i have no idea why u r referencing to esf

u wanna know why tekken and soul calibur are simliar? because they are made by the same company. yes tekken has a mash factor but not as greatly as sc2.

and the majority of people who are ganna play this game are ganna mash through it. just because a couple can be very good at it doesnt change the fact that the majority of players mash it. and the fact u can beat the game just by mashing makes it a mashing game.

sc2 is the only game ive seen where a 5 year old can mash through it. and im not joking about the 5 year old either.

its just very annoying to see a game with alot of potential turn out to be what it is.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Almost all of the people I've talked to, say Tekken is -specifically- a button mashing game. And I mentioned ESF, because you happen to be talking in the ESF Forum. I've seen a 5 year old mash her way through Tekken(3 and 4) and Budokai, Powerstone1&2, DOA3, and Moral Kombat:TA--my sister's daughter. Just because a game, like all of these, -can- be button mashed, says nothing about the capabilities as a multiplayer game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
all those games u have mentioned suck severe ass aswell just like soul calibur. im also noticing all the games u have mentioned are 3d fighters. and im also noticing all these games u have mentioned have like a 3 hit 1 button combo. u keep bringing up tekken which i find amusing considering soul calibur is made by the same company as tekken (namco) that should probabily tell u somethign there.

I find it mildly amusing that you keep saying that SC2 is bad because a newbie can kill a moderately skilled player, while posting on the ESF Forum
i still dont see the refence,whats so amusing about me saying a newbie can kill a moderately skilled player on an esf forum. i dont play esf, nor do i really like the game. alpha had its moments but other than that it aint good.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, I'll introduce a concept here that might be new to you:

If you pay for it, you get to decide who you play it with. If you are so afraid of button mashing then don't let your little brother and his friends play against you. If you have friends who are reasonable, like mine, you will have a good time even if they button mash.

And it is a stupid idea to bash ESF in the ESF official forums. Leave the negative feedback at home unless you are in the suggestions thread. We don't want to start flamewars.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1m4 0wn y0 455 said:
all those games u have mentioned suck severe ass aswell just like soul calibur. im also noticing all the games u have mentioned are 3d fighters. and im also noticing all these games u have mentioned have like a 3 hit 1 button combo. u keep bringing up tekken which i find amusing considering soul calibur is made by the same company as tekken (namco) that should probabily tell u somethign there.

i still dont see the refence,whats so amusing about me saying a newbie can kill a moderately skilled player on an esf forum. i dont play esf, nor do i really like the game. alpha had its moments but other than that it aint good.
You're getting rediculous. Yes, the game is easy to play, which is why it's as popular as it is. Any newcomer to the game can easily learn the simple combo's and moves, and have a chance against the average player. Everyone knows that and apparently that's all you know.

However when you practice, and play the game more often you will get better, and anyone that tries to button mash will be annihilated. With all due respect, you're ignorant, becuase you've never experienced a real pro, or tried hard enough to be able to overcome a button masher. Becuase of this, you quickly start making assumptions. Don't beleive me, i don't care, you're the one that's missing out on an excellent game. Soul Calibur 2 is an excellent game, very well done and balanced.

Another thing, you're problem with the game is the PEOPLE that button mash? I'm sorry man but that isn't a problem with the game it's a problem with the people. I've also watched 5 year olds button mash through countless other fighting games. It's a capablility in all fighting games, there's no way to somehow stop it.

If you don't like it, that's fine. But going around saying that the game "sucks sever ass" (whatever a sever ass is) and was poorly made is completley unnecessary.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if u re read is says severe not sever, secondly it wasnt a quick assumption the game has been in the arcades for along time now incase u havent noticed.

thats one of the reasons i dont like the game is because it is easy. u can obtain a advanced knowledge of the game within a month. with other fighters there is no u can do this. lets take mvc2 people have been playing this game for 3 years and they still havent been able to master it. this is a true game of skill. or lets try 3rd strike, this game actually takes skill. if u can parry people without thinking twice u have obtained the rating of average at that game. mabey im biased against 3d fighting games, but i find no enjoyment in them.

i dont care play it if u want but there are far superior games out there *cough* capcom *cough* i just prefer games that can stand the test of time because they are that damn good. a game like this will 4 months tops if that.

but ya dont care what ya think of my opinion i dun like the game, the learning curve is a flat line _________________, in other words its just to easy of a game for my tastes

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My friends are too damn into that game, all i hear Raphael owns and other ****, i havent played it

.. But i might

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally, I never liked the "Marvel vs Capcom" games. The only one of that 'series' I liked was "Xmen vs. Streetfighter." Those games quickly became repetitive and battles became almost exclusively about blocking and building up superpowers. *shrug* They were okay, but nothing to rave about.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't played MvC2, though I would like to. What I have played is CvSNK2 EO. I have had that game for 3 weeks and I have almost mastered the ins and outs of 2 characters (Zangief and Kyo). Sure, knowing when to use light and medium attacks is really tricky to pick up on at first, but with enough practice, even againt the computer, you figure out which attacks interupt which moves and how to abuse the bloody hell out of roll. I stopped playing after a month because it was too boring for me personally. When I do go back and play I've been trying to master the boss characters.

I've played Soul Calibur for months and I still haven't mastered Mitsurugi. I know all of his easy cheap combos, and how to juggle them, and when to parry and when to side step, but every opponent is very different and it takes a very long time to learn what each character can do when faced with each different character. You could not handle Ivy the same way that you would handle Taki, nor Maxi, nor Astaroth, nor Hwarang, nor Seung Mina (Is that right?). Mashing buttons against a long range opponent is suicide the fast majority of the time whereas it tends to pay off (too often for comfort) against close range players who can't get their juggle combos started.

So you can say the game is great and easy, and beat Sulik a thousand times on every difficulty, but going up against Cervantes might frustrate you to death because he has a completely different style of play. Going up against a decent Ivy player might drive you nuts because she'll keep throwing you away and hitting you with ranged attacks.

The game is easy against the computer, not against other players. Rolling hopping side stepping and parrying aren't necessarily the hardest parts of the game to learn but timing is everything and if your opponent has a better dynamic of each character vs. character scenario he will beat you (even knowing at what height characters strike their weapons, so that you can block certain attacks with vertical and horizontal strikes that actually knock their weapon away). There is more to Soul Calibur 2 than you are giving it credit for.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've driven people to rip the controllers out of the Dreamcast and throw them against the wall, when I play as Ivy. :D She can be a very frustrating opponent if you don't know how to deal with her.

(Same with Voldo, for most people.. but I always found him very predictable, for some reason.)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, no, you can learn the basic moves for a character in about a month, and become a decent player. Let me tell you, if someone has truly mastered their character, and you haven't you wont touch them. I've only been playing the game for about 2 weeks, but i can easily defeat a button masher. It only makes it easier to win, you have to know what you are doing to defeat a player with some actualy skill. You obviously have never experienced this, so you have a biased opinion of the game. People that have been playing this game since it came out in the arcades are unstoppable. don't even reply with something like " oh i've seen a 5 year old buttonmasher beat a pro", becuase if you did see that, he wasn't a pro. Also the fact that you have no problem with MVC? Man, i've seen more buttonmashing in that game then in the secret dog ending for Silent Hill 2. I just can't beleive that you have no problem with MVC but you absolutley HATE SC.

Sonic and Alea are both right, you jsut haven't played the game enough to discover all of the "freshness" if you will.

Best answers
i heard that a SC was coming out for game cube and adult like is gonna be on it

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
u wanna know y i have no problem with mvc? because if u mash u arnt likely to get through the game unless u r cable. and with mvc there are infinate possibilitys for comboing oppenents. the most mashing will get u in mvc is making u use up your supers. so a novice button mashing will have no chance against a average player. not mention the many glitches that were left in mvc that also surface through certain button combinations. its what makes the game fun its unpredicatable. i find soul calibur to be to predictable. i mean u can only see a character be played the same so many times. with mvc u get 3 characters comboing and not to mention the assist feature gives an infinate variaty of entertainment not just for the player but for the veiwer

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mitsurugi and Kilik are my best. Mitsurugi isn't that stylish but I can't pass up a samurai capable of iaijutsu...

This game is pretty masher friendly, though in my experience the truly skilled player will win at least most of the time. If you want a game mash is at a supreme minimal and skill reigns VERY high, buy VF4:Evo. However I don't have the patience to sit with my friends through training mode, because honestly I don't have the time to waste on them learning that crazy complicated game. I prefer pick-up and play, like SC2.

PS: GGX2 rocks. Yes indeed.

Best answers
Sailor Alea, if you were good with Ivy in SC, you better get used to relearning most of her moves when you get SCII. Some of her moves are the same, but then I got confused with all of her different stances. I am too lazy to relearn her moveset as of now, having too much fun with Link(very predictable, also very low number of moves to preform with him as well). I want to get good with Taki, but man, I'm not used to weak and fast characters. Ivy's criminal symphony is so cool, I just hate it when the CPU pulls it off on me when it catches me off guard, but feel satisfied seeing the move in action, so cool. My GIing is above average IMO, like when some one GI's me, I can directly GI them back(I am good at that) but I usually forget about GI in other situations. If I see someone GI then I remember to use it, but if I don't, then usually I just continue attacking and blocking, and sometimes GIing. WMM(weapon master mode) is pretty fun. Any how time to get to bed, see ya some other time people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom