Simple moddeling question

Best answers
Ive been trying to make complete enviroments in milkshape, ex: a football field. But after making all the contents ie: football field , blechers ect. i needed to make a texture for the "walls(not really walls, but teh backround, the part so its not just a field in a blue void, you know what i mean? i think its called a skybox.)". But, the problem is, i have no idea how the make it look natural, not just an obvious cube or sphere with some grass and sky texture pasted on it, and also i cant get the volume of the box right, it always seems like teh clouds are right on top of you. So, would an experienced moddeler (or mapper, it cant be that different) explain to me how to make it look natural and smooth? thanks! O_O

Force Pit Member
Best answers
So ur making a map in milkshape? interesting o_O i suggest starting this over using VHE (Valve Hammer Editor) u dont make maps in milkshape, at least i believe u dont o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WC?hammer (bad..bad name) = maps
MilkShape = models.

Sure you can do this different. But then again. Why make it so hard

Best answers
let me put it this way: its not really a map, its more of an enviromental model. Its not going to be interactive, and i suck at hammer.

Heres what i wanna know, i want to make a model of the earth and the moon, and mabye the sun (all in outer space) but how can i make it so space looks endless (when i pasted a starscape onto a box, it looks very artifical and cubic). it shouldnt be to different than making a really good starscape in hammer, just more vertex manipulation, so any ideas are welcome

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In milky you can't really do that and have it look endless, try using 3dsmax, when you render you can use it as the bg, it'lll look endless.

Best answers
i dont have that kind of money to get 3dsmax and for some reason, i cant register gmax, (and maya ple is eons away from my level of compitence) so milkshape will have to doo

Best answers
I don't know how you can do that in milkshape, but in hammer, you would have to make the box an entity called "skybox" or something like that (I don't know wether you make the box first then tell it to become an entity, or make an entity and tell it to be the skybox, actually it's been a long long time since i last played with hammer) but the bottom line is: it's gotta be an entity if you wanna have it look "endless" in-game. and I don't think milkshape can make entities.

if you want to make it endless outside the game (i.e. when you render it) then i have no idea how, but I don't think milkshape has that ability.

P.S. you can't export to half-life with gmax even if you register it.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Well you could make maps in ms3d but its has poor tools eaven for that , and than converting it , can be a big problem , if you want to do maps in Hl suggest to use Valve hammer , and if you want awesome maps , try 3dsmax if you know how to use it

Best answers
you guys dont understand, im not making a map, im just doing this for fun, i have no plans for it to be in any game!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom