Sierra/Vivendi is the worst game company ever to exist.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Everyone on this forum is aware of the nightmares I've had with the Source engine games, HL2 and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Now I'm adding a new game to the mix.

I was a huge fan of the last SWAT game and when I heard there was a SWAT4 demo out I ran over and grabbed it. I double-click to install...and here's what happened:

1.) The thing tried to autodetect my very basic standard Windows set up. It froze and crashed several times at this step where any other InstallShield based install I've used (except VTMB and HL2, of course) blow through this part so fast that I almost never even notice it (the initial filling blue bar, when you go to install something). I tried to go onto the internet to look for help while it struggled to continue and it brought my entire computer to its knees, crashing explorer in the process.

2.) I redownloaded and tried again. Same problem, but I got up to get some food this time and when I had come back it was actually just inching past that freezing step. Apparently it temporarily sends explorer into "not responding" mode. Regardless I continue the installation and hit a new wall: when I hit install, nothing happened for a good ten minutes. The bar just sat, empty.

3.) I redownloaded it AGAIN, from a different site, at a lousy rate. This time, it got past the two walls I mentioned above (damned slowly, at that, almost ten minutes before the bar started to fill!!). It finally finishes, I click Finish, and it locks up. I try to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and I end up somehow crapping out explorer AGAIN.

4.) I go through all of the above a 4th time and it works (slow as hell, but it finished). I click to play...it crashes with a system-choking error report prog. I see from the error report that it detected my system perfectly, yet somehow it still didn't work.

5.) Oh I bet you thought it was over, huh? I go to their site looking for a possible solution...and their stupid website can't detect my flash plugin for some reason, so all it tells me is that I require Flash 5 to view this site, and won't let me see a damn thing.

I'm sure the first posts in reply to this will be asking about my computer, so I'll say it right now: specs are in my sig and the thing is clean. I have had maybe two minor run ins with spyware in 3 years and NEVER have had a popup problem. And as I've stated a million times before...everything I've ever gotten seems to work above my expectations or perfectly acceptably, EXCEPT for Vivendi/Sierra products.

I just did this to vent, but still. In this day and age this kind of crap is unacceptable. I run World of Warcraft on higher than average res at constant 90fps and only drop to about 40-50 in MASSIVE crowds or battles...but yet another Sierra/Vivendi POS can't even get it's own install right. I mean, for crying out loud.

At least Nintendo has the decency to let their games WORK. These guys just don't give a crap.

I wonder if it's the Source Engine? That'd just make my day, wouldn't it? :0\

Best answers
Apparently it doesn't like your system. I ran it on mine and it installed fine. Now playing the game is a different matter.

This game is like all others, it's just picky about the computer.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Arg, i'm getting stupid critical errors for no reason too. There forums aren't much help either.

*Sigh*, I was looking forward to playing this too, oh well.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you really have to make these threads about how crappy such and such a game company is? If they ran on your computer you wouldn't be making the threads in the first place, and obviously they run on some of the computers out there because not everybody comes in here making such a big deal out of it. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw, and you got the short end of the bargain. Your system obviously has problems with more than one application, leading me to believe that it has less to do with either game and more to do with your software.

Best answers
I tend to agree with SB. Everytime a game doesn't work you always complain here. What are we supposed to do about it? IRRC, you had problems with steam, you complained here, HL2, complained here, the vamp game on the source engine, complained here, now swat 4, complained here...

Why not complain on the fourms for these games? Why not email/call the company about these issues? Complaining to us ain't gonna help you cause 99.9% ain't gonna know how to fix it.

/end rant

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How about instead of you all complaining about his problem, you actually try to narrow down the causes?

You say that your computer runs everything but Source related material, perhaps your system just isn't compatible with Source games. It's an engine designed for millions of different combinations of components, who knows what could happen if a certain pair was matched. Maybe you are just having some IRQ conflicts or something, who knows?

It's probably just a freak coincidence that your computer is located ontop of a magnetic field that strikes your hard drive in only the places Source is located, causing long load times and bad hitches ingame?

I notice a lot of your souce problems deal with sound, try disabling or removing your sound card and seeing if it's hitchless. Never know.

Do you really have to make these threads about how crappy such and such a game company is? If they ran on your computer you wouldn't be making the threads in the first place, and obviously they run on some of the computers out there because not everybody comes in here making such a big deal out of it. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw, and you got the short end of the bargain. Your system obviously has problems with more than one application, leading me to believe that it has less to do with either game and more to do with your software.
And if it didn't run on your computer, I have a pretty good feeling you'd be doing the same. It's not fair to pay for something you know should run good only to have it fail miserably.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
By the way, Vivendi owns BLIZZARD, dundundun! They publish your precious World of Warcraft, too.

Best answers
Smith| said:
And if it didn't run on your computer, I have a pretty good feeling you'd be doing the same. It's not fair to pay for something you know should run good only to have it fail miserably.
I would too, but I wouldn't be complaining on a message board for something not even related to source/swat/wow/eq2...etc. I would be contacting the company and talking to their tech-support.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you aren't helping, you are counter-whining, and thus should shut up. Only people with useful information or input on how to fix his problem should post from this point.

Best answers
I'd say try downloading the VB Runtime files from windowsupdate, other than that, I got nothing. Good luck.

Such a terrible thing that a French company owns my favorite gaming company, Blizzard. Oh well, I'm over it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lots to address here.

1.) First and foremost I got the game working, and it's pretty damn good. The problem appeared to be relative to some bad sectors in the install files I got. After a few downloads from different places I got lucky and got a clean one. I don't know if the files themselves were bad or if they somehow got screwed in transit but regardless if anyone else has problems like I did try downloading it from the actual SWAT 4 site.

2.) Alea: Blizzard MAKES the game, Vivendi PUBLISHES it. I am reasonably certain that Blizzard is not nearly stupid enough to contractually agree to letting outside interference occur with the game. It is likely more a financial situation than anything else. That and, I have never, EVER, EEEVVVVERR seen a Blizzard game not work properly. Even as far back as Warcraft 2...the game ran great on my machine which was FAR below recommended specs at the time. Vivendi...Do they even own Blizzard? I think they are just their publisher, honestly. There is a big difference.

3.) Tsunami--I went to their website, and that was broke too. ANd I think I would have been laughed off their $1.79 a minute help line if I had called up to complain about an unsupported game demo.

I understand ESF is "not about SWAT 4." But it's also not about Inuyasha...Naruto...'teh pix thread'...Vampire...Halo 2...HL2...yoga techniques...fight club or roleplaying...no movies whatsoever...no music whatsoever...and yet people talk about these things all the time, and thousands more topics not covered here. My point?

If you want to complain about my post on my experience with this company, then it would only be fair of you to go and complain to all of those other topics too.

4.) Sonic--I thought Valve and Sierra/Vivendi sucked while I was playing the original Half-Life. I just had it confirmed when I played their other products.

You've been on my ass like diaper rash ever since Doom 3, Sonic. Well allow me to brush it off once more, and specify that according the AUP by which you and I's behavior is bound, it is perfectly okay for me to express my opinion on a game, game company, or the ascertained crappiness therein. What I am NOT allowed to do--and neither are you--is harass or cut down other members' topics. Flaming and spamming is all prohibited...but what about disagreeing? You can disagree with me till you're blue in the face, my friend. And I can disagree with you, too. Fact is, that chain of gaming companies has shown me colossal failure after colossal failure technologically speaking. What am I supposed to say about them?

Maybe I want to discuss the company's negative side--that was okay for you and the others a few months back when you were all cracking your flashlight jokes, but apparently I'm not allowed that same privelege. See, everything has a plus and negative, and there's no rules in this forum's AUP that say I have to only write about happy wonderfulness. If I think something is shoddy, I have just as much right to come here, with people I consider peers, and say, "Hey guys, is it me, or does [whatever] suck short bus exhaust?" That is not against the rules nor is it a detrimental contribution to the board, as far as I can see.

Suffice to say, I can write whatever I want so long as it follows the rules. I'm sorry if you don't like what I write, and I apologize for my opinions and experiences conflicting with your own. If you want to debate, that's fine, we can debate. If you want to merely express annoyance at the content of my post, that is entirely another animal. If you want to discuss the wonderful performance you've had with Steam, I will be glad to direct you the the massive class action lawsuit being filed by european HL2 customers after Steam crashed and kept them from being able to play for days. If you want to disrespect my opinions about Blizzard or Id, I would be glad to pull out a streak of titles from both companies that both revolutionized and raised the standards of modern gaming.

Like I said, if you want to debate...don't sing it and just bring it. Most of the forum knows I have a big problem backing down from such things. But if you're just here to express your dissatisfaction with my content...well truth be told, it's irrelevant to both me and to the forum disciplinary staff.

Bottom line...that all being said, I'll feed you the same lines I was fed when everyone Rodney King'ed Doom 3 all day and night:

Doom 3 Playa Haters en masse said:
"If you don't like it you don't have to read it."
(NOTE: Since I've solved my problem, I don't think there's much need for this thread anymore...so I guess you can lock it.

And after it's locked...Sonic...try to keep your self control and not go unlocking it to get in a last word. Instead you might want to try a "Vivendi is so great" thread. I'd be eager to see the response you get.)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
2.) Alea: Blizzard MAKES the game, Vivendi PUBLISHES it. I am reasonably certain that Blizzard is not nearly stupid enough to contractually agree to letting outside interference occur with the game. It is likely more a financial situation than anything else. That and, I have never, EVER, EEEVVVVERR seen a Blizzard game not work properly. Even as far back as Warcraft 2...the game ran great on my machine which was FAR below recommended specs at the time. Vivendi...Do they even own Blizzard? I think they are just their publisher, honestly. There is a big difference.
Yes, and Valve MADE Source.. not Vivendi. But yes, Vivendi owns Blizzard. Blizzard is the property of Vivendi Universal. You can check the "company info" on Blizzard's website if you like. :d

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I stand corrected; you're right. Blizzard seems to keep their work in-house, though. Vivendi doesn't seem to hold them back much. Either that or Vivendi's decisions regarding release dates, patches, etc. are kept very quiet by Blizzard.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In one sense, Pride's comments on VU are correct, they add copyprotection that stops older CD-ROM Drives from exercising fair use, which is why I bought HL2 over steam and not a store counter. WoW has significantly less ironclad copy protection on WoW than any steam product. Ultimately, loosing a copy of HL2, VMB or Swat 4 to a cracker/hacker makes a huge dent compared to loosing a copy of WoW's access software.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Before an aneurism sets in let me just say I don't understand the overreaction. Every time one of your games doesn't work you post here, and every time you post here you make it a statement against the company who made the game. My post could have been interpreted as nothing more than "leave vivendi alone" but somehow it was twisted into me interfering with your post. Let it be known that even as a moderator, I too am allowed to post content on these forums, which can consists of oppinions, constructed out of ideas in the forms of sentences. Yours are not so superior that you can attack me from the grounds that I am attempting to use my admin powers to stop you from speaking.

As I said in my previous post, the problem is undoubtedly software related. Some driver somewhere that you may never locate is interfering with multiple games using similar engines (or not), and as you couldn't fix half life 2 all the way you probably wont be able to fix this until you either reinstall your opperating system or God comes down from heaven and love taps your computer.

Now this is being said as a moderator: I wont tollerate lengthly personal attacks or attempts at discrediting my opinions by somehow trying to tell me that as a moderator I am less entitled to them. I wasn't trying to take an official action, my post was a warning that your threads may be wearing on some peoples' nerves, particularly those who have not had your experiences with these companies. If you want to try a less offensive approach try making a thread without trying to make a big statement about the creator and instead focus on the game.

You guys need to calm down. We're talking about video games on a video game forum. This is not a soap opera and nobody is harboring deep menacing grudges. Take one step back and two deep breathes before you push further into the discussion. I apologize if my post came off as 'harsh criticism' somehow but look past the veil and understand it is nothing personal.

(P.S. I didn't lock the thread, it was cucumba! Blame the pickle)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom