Shadow Of The Colossus

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh man, I just played this game at my buddy's house. And all I can say is that i'm immediately buying it as soon as I muster up the money.

For anyone who doesn't know what the game is, well it's made by the same people who made ICO. It starts off with the main character entering some sort of ancient building with a deceased woman of some kind with the intention of bringing her back to life. After a conversation with an ominous voice, your off to do just that. Your task is to find and kill 16 Colossi, so that you may have a chance at resurrecting your mother/sister/lover/cousin/whomever she may be. The story kinda just drops you in, and according to my friend, remains that way until basically the end of the game.

Anyways, about the actual game. It is essentially 16 boss fights one after another. That's right, no normal bad guys, no item collecting, nothing. The game consists entirely of riding your trusty steed towards a boss, then killing him. These fights are probably some of the most fun and exhilarating moments I've had in gaming, and I only fought the first two! It's almost like a mini-puzzle in the sense that you have to use your wits to figure out how exactly your gonna injure these daunting beasts. The only difference is the puzzle isn't a key combiination, or a cleverly designed room, It's a 20 story tall gigantic monster that shakes the very earth with each step. It's truely impossible to describe the feeling you get when your fighting these skyscraper sized monstrosities.

Also, this is hands down the most beautiful game out there for the PS2. It may not have the highest quality textures, or the smoothest frame rate. But the artistic design is easily some of the best in any game ever created. Again, you have to see it to experiance it. You'll be stunned the first time you gallop full speed out of the ancient building while holding your sword aloft as it reflects a beam of light into the distant horizon, directing you to your next destination. Also, the animation in the game is top-notch, on everything including you, your horse, and the colossi.

Simply put, this is one of my favourite games ever, and I only played the first 2 bosses. Endowed with the knowledge that "I ain't seen nothing yet," I can't wait to see how much this game will floor me in sheer greatness once i'm through with it.

Oh ya, just to give you an idea on how big these Colossi really are, here are some pics.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEt, those screenies are bad ass.

Gah, damn you Hash, now you gave me ANOTHER reason to skip out off lunch (save up teh lunch moneys). I still have to get FEAR first :p

Anyways, I was kinda like ehh.... when reading it, but the screenies made me decide, im definately getting this :yes:

Any idea the price in US?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kaination said:
Any idea the price in US?
Another reason to get it, its a tad cheaper than most new games! $39.99 US. Straight from EBGames.com

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can i get it for PC at all? I don't have a Ps2 :(

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My room-mate bought it the day it came out. Beat it, love it, now one of my favourite games of all time.

True story.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its a great game, the soundtrack really makes for an "epic" feel,

but theres virtually no replay value, after your figure out how to take them down it only takes about 3 minutes (as opposed to upwards of 30-45 trying to figure it out like on your first playthrough).

the ending is among the best ive seen, spoilers in white
its awesome how the wanderer "reincarnates" as the character from ico, i was waiting for a ico tie in but i was'nt expecting anything more than a character from the game making a cameo or sumthin

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Best game evar!

It's pretty simple when you figure out how to kill them, but that's half the fun so who's complaining. There's nothing quite like stabbing a 20 story tall monster and watching it go down.

On another note, anyone try Hard mode yet? Is anything different?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
its a great game, the soundtrack really makes for an "epic" feel,

but theres virtually no replay value, after your figure out how to take them down it only takes about 3 minutes (as opposed to upwards of 30-45 trying to figure it out like on your first playthrough).

the ending is among the best ive seen, spoilers in white
its awesome how the wanderer "reincarnates" as the character from ico, i was waiting for a ico tie in but i was'nt expecting anything more than a character from the game making a cameo or sumthin
Couldn't agree more. Apparently I got into this game at first more than my room-mate and he had the benefit of watching me take down every colossus. His total game-time was significantly shorter than mine, in fact, it was less than half of mine.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've already decided I want to get this game, I've been following it for a while now and it sounds awesome, and the positive crits from you guys have only confirmed what I already believed. Now I'll just have to wait for a European release. :3

Best answers
Now I'll just have to wait for a European release. :3
Yeah, not for a couple of months yet is it?
Damn it, I really want this game too.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like a cool game. I also wanted to play ICO but I don't do consoles.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
[/COLOR]
Not exactly true, after you beat it, there's tons of unlockable items to get, and secrets to find. Also, when you unlock hard mode, some of the weak spots are changed, and the Collosi will act differently, the game is worth playing it through a couple of times at least.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phatslugga said:
after you beat it, there's tons of unlockable items to get,
Like what? =x

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh that last boss is one of the most epic fights I have seen in any game. The way it was done had me and my friends cheering the whole time while trying to do it. This game has to be the most beautiful game to ever be put out on the PS2. The art, the effects all fantactic.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unlockable Items below:

Highlight ot see

Whistling arrow
Cloak of force
Mask of strength
Lizard detection stone
Fruit tree map
Mask of power
Cloak of deception
Flash arrow
harpoon of thunder
sword of the sun
shaman's cloak
shaman's mask
cloth of desperation
queen's swoord

Let alone just wandering around the area and exploring. The game is beautiful, and if you eat enough fruit and lizard tails, you can get enough stamina to find the "Secret Garden", which I haven't done yet, thanks to guitar hero :/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phatslugga, I don't mean to sound rude, but seeing as I've not yet played the game, such information could be considered a spoiler, I would therefore kindly like to ask of you to put such information in white text from now on. I don't know if the items you've listed are common or easy to get, or if they are secrets, but in either case, I'd rather find out for myself what items are in the game. :3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
Phatslugga, I don't mean to sound rude, but seeing as I've not yet played the game, such information could be considered a spoiler, I would therefore kindly like to ask of you to put such information in white text from now on. I don't know if the items you've listed are common or easy to get, or if they are secrets, but in either case, I'd rather find out for myself what items are in the game. :3
He's actually doing you a favour. The game gives no clues or hints or anything that there are any items to actually unlock once you beat it. He's telling you what there is, so you'll keep playing.

Trust me, you'll have a hard enough time figuring out how to actually get them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, me teling you that they exist doesn't help you in the least to get them, but I'll edit my post anyway in case anyone else feels differently.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, again, I don't mean to sound rude, but if I wanted to know about any items that could be found, I'd look it up in a FAQ. :eek:

Anyway, getting back on topic: I've heard the framerate tends to drop noticeably when you're chasing a Colossus. Does this hinder gameplay, as in, cause you to slip and fall and crash to your death due to forces beyond your control, or is the framerate smooth enough at all times to allow unrestricted (read: smooth, normal) gameplay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom