Review: Cooler's Revenge DVD(Uncut)

Banned
Banned
Best answers
Alright, I've had the fansub for awhile and have enjoyed this movie in all of its over-recorded grainy glory. When I heard that FUNi was finally releasing it on DVD, I was overjoyed. Number one of two of my two favorite DBZ movies was finally gonna be cleaned up. So, I got my hands on it as soon as I could and decided to review their disk.(Note: this isn't going to be a movie review, just a review on the disk itself)

Packaging: 4 out of 10
As usual, the packaging and material extra are non-existant with FUNi's dvds. All you get is a redrawn screencap with the title on the cover, a poorly worded blurb/summary on the back with two tiny screencaps, and the disk. No fancy-shmancy inserts. Not even a chapter insert. Just the disk. Compare this to, say, the T2: Ultimate Edition disk and it.....pales in comparison.
The drawings of Cooler are kinda nice, though...

Menu: 6 out of 10
They're getting better. The menu virtually didn't exist on their first disks, now they're getting a little flashier. they have short clips from the movie and some slightly non-annoying bg music. They're designed well enough, but the font is kinda small.

Video Quality: 9 out of 10
They cleaned it up very well, but anything would have been an improvment over my old fansub tapes. It almost got a perfect score, but I noticed some film-grains in the last couple minutes of the film, very noticeable on the final closeup of Piccolo(ruined the best shot of him..I cried :))

Music: 7 out of 10
I wanted to like the music. And I did, somewhat. Following the trend they started, they use music from fairly well-known and popular bands(deftones and others) for the bg music. It actually fits this time, and adds to the action. The music that kicks off the fight between Goku and Cooler is terrific(can't remember the title or band for the life of me) and pumps up the fighting better thant he old J-Pop. I had to lower the score because they kept the original music in bland mono, instead of remastering it in 5.1 stereo, like the english track. It so quiet..

Sound: 7 out of 10
This'll sound similar to the music section. The english tracks are great, crisp 5.1 stero. The japanese track(the reason why I bought the friggin thing...)is still stuck in Mono. Why? Because they're too lazy to remaster it? Oh well, I've heard that they're gonna be doing the rest of the movies in 5.1 all the way through(this means we might be seeing a THEATRICAL RELEASE of some of the movies soon!!)

Translation: 9 out of 10
The subtitles are superb. The translation is as accurate as you can possibly get. Could not ask for more(except for the traditional yellow lettering..white's kinda hard to see..oh well). The dub isn't bad either....they messed up on a few parts, like giving Sauza(leader of Cooler's Armoored Squardron(Cooler's ginyu force) a french accent. Why? He's not French. He's not from France. He's not from this PLANET! Oh well..Cooler's got a good voice, at least. My main gripe is that they suggest that Cooler only has 4 forms...but his main feature was that he SURPASSED furiza by not only being stronger overal, but by having a FIFTH FORM!. They also give Goku his usual American "Stop hurting innocent people, meanie" speach...pretty annoying. Besides these drawbacks, there were parts of the english dub that I felt fit the characters better than the original japanese..particularly some of Cooler's lines.

Extras: 2 out of 10
I don't like watching commericals. well, I take that back. I don't like watching MOST commercials. I like funny ones :). I don't, however, want to PAY for commercials. But..I just did. All FUNi gives us for extras is.......you guessed it. Commercials. I can watch commercials for Yu Yu Hasuko, Blue Gender, and the very cool IF Labs action figures(battle damaged ssj goku, battle damaged piccolo, lord slug and 5th form cooler..McFarlane Quality:shocked: :D ) After I watch a movie, I always kick back and watch the extra **** they throw on...I can't with this disk.

Overall: 6 out of 10(just an average)
Don't get me wrong. This movie is awesome and EVERYONE should own it. A definite MUST HAVE! At the very least, watch it once. Watch both the Japanese and English versions......The japanese is excellent, the english is above par. But, the disk itself is below what I've come to expect with dvd releases. DVD's are supposed to be a little more special. They're a little more expensive, and they usually come with something a little nicer. If I want ****, I'll just buy vhs.
Again, buy this dvd. The movie alone is more than worth it. At the very least, watch it so you can understand the best DBZ movie a little better.....the "sequel" to this movie. The second Cooler movie.....featuring Metal Cooler......major sweetness.

Remember boys and girls, always spade and neuter your pets, and buckle up.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The song is "the Game" by Disturbed. Cool tune, really does fit tempo and attiude of the fight (especially when Cooler gets that first facelift :)), but the lyrics suggest that Goku is stalking him for being a lying be-atch. Hehe, Goku want's to see Cooler crying so SWEET-LY. :) Just figured I'd be a pain :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom