Red Steel? Wii? Which is it man!?!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So the rumours are that Red Steel is the Revolutions new name. And now Nintendo.com is saying it's called "Wii" (pronouned 'we') So, um, which is it? For the love of God it better not be "Wii"

This could be turned to a very VERY sexual matter -.- That or I'm just a horn dog and turn everything sexual.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Isn't Red Steel a game made by Ubisoft? I don't think they would name a console after a game. And they probably won't change the name for the Revolution, because everybody knows the Rev as the Revolution now, it would be confusing if they would change it. On a side note, there were also rumors that they would call the Rev...NintendoGo! Which, I might add, is a very stupid name...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha- Oh yeah so you're right.

So what do you think of Wii being the new name. I can't wait to play with my Wii all night long ^.^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Revolution renamed Wii
[UPDATE 3] Nintendo announces the console formerly known as the Revolution has a new--and surprising--moniker. Analysts' reactions are mixed.
By Staff, GameSpot
Posted Apr 27, 2006 9:14 am PT

In a surprise announcement this morning, Nintendo revealed the new name of its forthcoming game system: Wii. "As in 'we'," the official statement adds. For the official announcement, visit the Revolution...err...Wii Web site.

Nintendo Wii
Behold! The Revolution renamed!
Watch | Download
After a brief Flash introduction, the site explains Nintendo's move. "While the code-name 'Revolution' expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that separates game players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games...and each other."

The site goes on to say that Wii should be easy to remember for people around the world, no matter their language, and that it will avoid abbreviation. The "ii" spelling is intended to represent "both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play." It may also be worth noting that "ii" means "good" in Japanese.

Nintendo sums up the name change with the following comments. "So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."

Game-industry analysts were swift with their responses. "Looks like a good solid name for Nintendo," said an optimistic Michael Gartenberg, vice president and research director of Jupiter Research. "The key is making sure they follow up with a strong launch campaign to evangelize the new brand and help drive the message forward."

Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter was more mixed in his assessment. "My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb," he bluntly stated. "However, upon reflection, I thought that the name Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation. Let's face it, devices with cool names like Dreamcast and Gizmondo fail, and the lame names seem to do well."

Colin Sebastian, Lazard Capital Markets' senior research analyst for Internet and interactive entertainment, displayed Vulcan-like logic responding to the Wii revelation. "The success of the console will have much more to do with the quality of the games and the gameplay," he said. "Nintendo probably believes they've found a name that can stick with consumers. Revolution was catchy, but given similarities with the Xbox 360 name, perhaps Nintendo felt they had to make a change."
Hmmm, maybe you are right?

Anyway...Wii...reminds me of something else...somehow...BUT come on, can't anyone think of something else?! I mean...you've got a multi-billion dollar company there, deliviring high quality consoles...and the only name they can come up with is...Wii? Damn...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even if they changed the name, I'd still call it the Revolution.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Revolution is, indeed, officially the "Nintendo Wii". Red Steel is a game, naturally. It's the console itself that is now called "Wii".

I cannot say I like the sound of the name, but the name itself is not going to change what the console does, so my plans toward purchasing one haven't changed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Likewise.

I'm surprised they still wanted to change it. Everyone's been calling it the Revolution ever since the thing was announced.. which was quite some time ago.

It'll take Nintendo a ton of effort to market it as the Nintendo Wii.

I personally don't really like the name. It just sounds silly.

"So, Shiyo, what're you getting?"
"The Wii."
"The what?"
"The Wii. The Nintendo Wii."
"...Yeah, me? I'm getting a PS3."
"):"

Best answers
Nintendo Wii ?....
..awww...that's so cute and so easy to remember-- seriously i love it.
I expected the name to be the N5 though, but oh well.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wii? Haha, that's just silly. I knew they weren't gonna keep Revolution as it's name, they kept saying they were gonna change it, but I was hoping they wouldn't.

Seriously though, Wii? Well whatever, I had the same response when the new Xbox was titled the 360. I thought they were retarded or something, but now I find it totally normal. So I guess the same thing will go for the Wii.

Haha..........Wii.....................

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to pretend Nintendo isn't stupid and that this name change never happened. It's called the Revolution and that's that.

Best answers
Wow the big N really ****ed us over with this one..........

Litterally..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's like the opposite with the cube. It was called "Project Dolphin" then they renamed it to the Game Cube. Granted Game Cube isn't the coolest name on earth, anything beats Project Dolphin. This is the opposite, The Revolution is an awsome name for a console; and then chaning it to Wii- it makes me angry, and makes me think of penis' which can't be a good thing =/

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Babyboy, the swear filter blocks out certain words for a reason. Please don't make a habit if purposely misspelling words so the filter doesn't catch them.

Best answers
I'll buy it but i wont call it "wii" ill spray paint over the name and put in Revolution.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like Phoenix said, Revolution was not the "name" for the system. It was the CODENAME. The system didn't have it's own name. They didn't "rename" it, they gave it a name to begin with.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol

i thought it was red steel: wii

like world war 2 is how i read it.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is straight from Gamespot.

Red Steel is a first person action game set in modern day Japan, from the makers of Prince of Persia and Far Cry.

Red Steel confirmed for Revolution launch

Ubisoft officially announces its first game for Nintendo's next-gen platform; says game will be at E3 and take advantage of motion-sensing controller.
Anyhow if they call it Wii i call it "Nintendo WTF are you thinking guys" ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The codename was so much cooler though! What's Wii got to do with anything, anyway?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Read my post above, Wii = We, it has something to do that we get in touch with the games...and eachother. Just the shear though of..."eachother" freaks me out, I mean, The Revolution being revolutionary OK, but...."getting in touch with eachother?" I see Jack Thompson already slapping an AO rating on the Revolution.

**EDIT**

Doesn't anybody read my post? I'll Quote myself then:

Revolution renamed Wii
[UPDATE 3] Nintendo announces the console formerly known as the Revolution has a new--and surprising--moniker. Analysts' reactions are mixed.
By Staff, GameSpot
Posted Apr 27, 2006 9:14 am PT

In a surprise announcement this morning, Nintendo revealed the new name of its forthcoming game system: Wii. "As in 'we'," the official statement adds. For the official announcement, visit the Revolution...err...Wii Web site.

Nintendo Wii
Behold! The Revolution renamed!
Watch | Download
After a brief Flash introduction, the site explains Nintendo's move. "While the code-name 'Revolution' expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that separates game players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games...and each other."

The site goes on to say that Wii should be easy to remember for people around the world, no matter their language, and that it will avoid abbreviation. The "ii" spelling is intended to represent "both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play." It may also be worth noting that "ii" means "good" in Japanese.

Nintendo sums up the name change with the following comments. "So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."

Game-industry analysts were swift with their responses. "Looks like a good solid name for Nintendo," said an optimistic Michael Gartenberg, vice president and research director of Jupiter Research. "The key is making sure they follow up with a strong launch campaign to evangelize the new brand and help drive the message forward."

Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter was more mixed in his assessment. "My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb," he bluntly stated. "However, upon reflection, I thought that the name Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation. Let's face it, devices with cool names like Dreamcast and Gizmondo fail, and the lame names seem to do well."

Colin Sebastian, Lazard Capital Markets' senior research analyst for Internet and interactive entertainment, displayed Vulcan-like logic responding to the Wii revelation. "The success of the console will have much more to do with the quality of the games and the gameplay," he said. "Nintendo probably believes they've found a name that can stick with consumers. Revolution was catchy, but given similarities with the Xbox 360 name, perhaps Nintendo felt they had to make a change."
So clen, we already knew it was official.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom