Quitting Smoking

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey all. I've been a smoker since I was about 11 years old, and I know it was a very stupid thing to do. Well, only recently I started having severe chest pains, and I think it may be a result of smoking. I've decided to quit all out, without the patches or the gum or anything at all. I was wondering if any of you had any tips for me to help me quit. My mom gave me a hell of a lot of regular wintergreen gum to chew whenever I get cravings, but I was wondering what else I could do. Any ideas?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get a hobby. Something simple you can allways do. And just do that to get your mind off the cigs ^^

Or better yet. Get your froends to slap you whenever you think of haveing a smoke XD

OK the second one is a bit cruel and ment as a joke.

But it works since youll be to afraid to even think of cigarets.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega said:
Get a hobby. Something simple you can allways do. And just do that to get your mind off the cigs ^^

Or better yet. Get your froends to slap you whenever you think of haveing a smoke XD
Alright, thanks for the tip. *Loads Black & White 2*

I don't have any friends ><

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Well we could always e-slap you but I'd think that's slightly less effective. XD

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
will power... its the only real way to do it. I dont care what people say about this nicotine product or that, its nothing to do with it scince none of them feel like smoking, and what you crave is the smoking. You just gotta feel proud everytime u think of having a cig, and you dont. Simple as.

Best answers
² David.. My dad quit smoking 20 years ago after 17 years of smoking, he just did it by dragging along a pack of smokes, but never touched it.. He would force himself to grow will power, and it worked..

The only thing that did happen though, is that he chewed on almost every pen/pencil he saw :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All good tips, except the drinking one >_>

I'll keep these all in mind as I undertake the journey to healthier lungs.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Amnestometh said:
without the patches or the gum
There's patches and gum to help you stop smoking weed? wtf lol

Best answers
looks like it may be too late..u may die...
Chest pain and difficulty in breathing may also result if the tumor spreads to the outside surface of the lung, causing fluid to collect in the pleural cavity, the space between the lung and ribs. If a tumor presses on the blood vessels that carry blood to and from the heart, the normal blood flow may be blocked.
http://www.triadpublishing.com/lungcancerex.shtml

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I myse;f smoke, I can say fopr one that it is a hard thing to quit. I remebr when my brother once drove to qld and didn't let me have a ciggie the whole day and I went insane =S. My advice is to try drinknig lots of water as water usually helps me hold off for a little bit inbetween ciggies, but i'll usualy end up chain smoknig with friends anyway (most of the time).

Patches can send you insane, I wore one once and actually needed a ciggie more then ever simply because I don't think my body was use to them or the patch, even the slow release nicotine, was weaker then the ciggies I smoke (2mg compard to 6mg winfield light blues). Iv'e concidered quitting for the benefit of my help, and I think I am having pains down my windpipe when eating food witch I belive may be due to smoking or ethier heart burn.

Good luck, quitting is a hard thing to do, especialy if your'e going cold turkey. If you can do it then go for it, you'll also be saving some money for other useful objects and services =).

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt` said:
There's patches and gum to help you stop smoking weed? wtf lol
They make you think they help and thus tehy do. But you get adicted on them after they help you XD

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get addicted to something greater,
Do you play world of warcrack?
It will make you forget about your cravings and addictions =O

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The first few days are rough, but just hang in there. It gets easier.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
smoke less and less cigs every day till you feel comfortable without them. Quiting all together is not recommended because your body is depending on that nicotine from the cigarrets so here is my advice: if your doing 5 a day for example, try only havin 4 the next day or the day after, then go down to 3, and so on... This way your body will gradulally get used to not depending on the nicotine. I myself have never smoked a cig, only 2 puffs in total..

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Workout. Everytime you crave a cig, you do 10 to 20 pushups and 10 to 20 situps. Before you know it, your back in shape and you won't want cigs anymore.

Best answers
hacky sack...you can do it almost all the time and it's fun...just dont get fustrated if u cant do it that well... just hit it once then grab it then hit it once then grab it...once u get good enough it'll be like riding a bike.. also people can be impresssed and that's fun FUN FUN FUN

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I smoke myself but i'm not wanting to quit, I tried it once, failed and cut back instead. I can give you advice though. I wouldn't bother with the nicotine patches or gum, they don't treat your bodies addiction, just feed it in a less harmful way. Technically you'll be 'quitting smoking', but you'll still want one every half hour.

Wheening off them is much easier, I don't know what you smoke or in what quantity/strength, but disciplining yourself to one less per-day each week is easily the best way to go about it. If you go cold-turkey then the cravings will be much worse and it won't last. Just slowly cut down and make sure you stick to your daily target. It's a lot easier than cutting them out completely, and when you get down to a couple a day quitting won't be nearly as tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom