Quick question about the PS3

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It is now 2008. 3 years later and hardware is no longer an issue. The only link you posted about bricking was from 06, which is 2 years ago. So again, why is Sony having difficulties testing their software in 2008 and why are you defending what is obviously a terrible mistake that should have been ironed out before release? You're comparing hardware problems that no longer exist to a software issue that should have been ironed out. Which is more difficult? Holding back software for a bit, testing it and fixing it or throwing out thousands of units because of a malfunction?

I'm not even sure how I'm being a fanboy. My position is simply, "This shouldn't have happened." You're saying it's perfectly fine because someone else did it long ago. Has that defense ever really worked? I never said, "I LOVE MICROSOFT BECAUSE THEY RELEASED A FAULTY PRODUCT!" No, I said I understood why they did it, and frankly, it made sense to do what they did. Do I appreciate being sold bad hardware? **** no, but I know why they did it, and it worked for them. They learned from their mistake, and most of the problems people had early on are gone. That was then and this is now. Why isn't Sony learning from past mistakes, be it theirs or Microsofts? You're the only one being a fanboy. You're saying it's alright to brick consoles because, you know, **** happens.
I was going to quote the three or four times I said it wasn't acceptable for any company to release faulty equipment, but then I decided I didn't care if you didn't care enough to read my posts.

What I am saying is that **** does happen---especially in the technology business. I challenged you to find me an update, or any other release that did not cause some issues. I never claimed it was okay, but merely said it was to be expected. The degree at which it happens is where the issues should be. If you're talking anything more then 2-4% of the machines, then you're talking about something that should never be allowed to be released. This update did not brick very many machines, and from what I can gather, it was the older generation PS3's that were bricked. For crying out loud, 1/3 of the Xbox's originally released died of RRoD.

The point is whether or not it's acceptable, but whether or not it's bound to happen; and it most certainly is.

---

I edited my previous post, but I didn't know you had quoted me by the time I had a chance to edit it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it's to be expected, it's acceptable. I don't expect what I download or buy to not work. Once more, you're saying Sony's failure to catch a major flaw is perfectly alright because Microsoft did it too (of course, Microsoft knew of the flaw showing their quality assurance team is significantly better than Sony's). It is not alright for me to murder you because you killed my cat.

If you truly believed Sony releasing an update that bricked consoles was unacceptable, you'd be on my side, not arguing that it's alright because **** happens.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it's to be expected, it's acceptable. I don't expect what I download or buy to not work. Once more, you're saying Sony's failure to catch a major flaw is perfectly alright because Microsoft did it too (of course, Microsoft knew of the flaw showing their quality assurance team is significantly better than Sony's). It is not alright for me to murder you because you killed my cat.

If you truly believed Sony releasing an update that bricked consoles was unacceptable, you'd be on my side, not arguing that it's alright because **** happens.
You aren't listening to me, though.

I'm suggesting that any sort of bricking is not good (it doesn't matter if it's known before hand or not). Quality Assurance is all about assuring quality... Not releasing unacceptable things. Sony and Microsoft both dropped the ball.

I don't think it matters at what stage of the game it happens in, and by saying it's expected, I'm not suggesting it's acceptable. I'm just saying that you're never going to get a product released that will never have flaws. It may be the goal to work out all known issues, but you just can't stop everything.

You need to listen to yourself, man. You're saying it's fine to release faulty products as long as you know about it.

I'm merely suggesting it's not fine to do it ever, but that it's to be expected with all releases, which is why I don't use RRoD as a reason to not enjoy the xbox. This update for the PS3 affected very few PS3's, and it was hardly a console killer, but it was an issue that would have cost Sony a lot of money if they didn't cease downloads, and re-work the patch. That's quality assurance at work. A little late, but still working hard. There are always things that come up which not expected with every release of an update, software, or hardware; it's not good, but it's just realistic to expect.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You aren't listening to me, though.

I'm suggesting that any sort of bricking is not good (it doesn't matter if it's known before hand or not). Quality Assurance is all about assuring quality... Not releasing unacceptable things. Sony and Microsoft both dropped the ball.

I don't think it matters at what stage of the game it happens in, and by saying it's expected, I'm not suggesting it's acceptable. I'm just saying that you're never going to get a product released that will never have flaws. It may be the goal to work out all known issues, but you just can't stop everything.

You need to listen to yourself, man. You're saying it's fine to release faulty products as long as you know about it.

I'm merely suggesting it's not fine to do it ever, but that it's to be expected with all releases, which is why I don't use RRoD as a reason to not enjoy the xbox. This update for the PS3 affected very few PS3's, and it was hardly a console killer, but it was an issue that would have cost Sony a lot of money if they didn't cease downloads, and re-work the patch. That's quality assurance at work. A little late, but still working hard. There are always things that come up which not expected with every release of an update, software, or hardware; it's not good, but it's just realistic to expect.
I didn't say it was fine for Microsoft to do so. I said I understood why they did it. Two completely different and unrelated ideas, guy. We shouldn't have to expect our consoles to break or cease functioning is my point. It just shouldn't happen, and especially not because of a software update. We're at a point in the "console war" where everyone needs to be and can afford to be more careful with what they release. If they need an extra week to test an update, take it. No one is going to say, "Oh **** that, I'm not buying a PS3 because a free update was a week late".

If they release an update with a few bugs, that is acceptable. If it bricks your system, then they ****ed up and it becomes something else entirely.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't say it was fine for Microsoft to do so. I said I understood why they did it. Two completely different and unrelated ideas, guy. We shouldn't have to expect our consoles to break or cease functioning is my point. It just shouldn't happen, and especially not because of a software update. We're at a point in the "console war" where everyone needs to be and can afford to be more careful with what they release. If they need an extra week to test an update, take it. No one is going to say, "Oh **** that, I'm not buying a PS3 because a free update was a week late".

If they release an update with a few bugs, that is acceptable. If it bricks your system, then they ****ed up and it becomes something else entirely.
If Sony thought the update was ****ed up, they wouldn't have released it. They thought it was fine, but then it caused issues with a very small group of PS3's. It's not the end of anything.

And as I said, it's unacceptable to have it brick your system, but with any update, these issues come up. If you look at any update for any major piece of hardware, you'll come across an updates that caused issues for someone. As OP pointed it, though, it was a small amount of people who had issues.

I wasn't debating whether or not it was acceptable... I'm just saying it's expected with any major update. We aren't talking about a little patch, this was a pretty major update for the PS3. And besides this hiccup, Sony has done a pretty good job with updates. You suggest that it's expected early in the game, but not later in the game, but you haven't really given a good reason as to why this is. To pump out more systems? Well, Sony is coming off a huge month in sales, and wanted to pump out a major update. What's the difference?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You really want to compare the initial release of a system to a "push" several years later? Really?

I think you may just be the only person expecting to get bricked when you update your system. SP2 didn't brick windows, SP1 didn't brick windows and SP3 didn't brick windows. Bricking isn't an "issue". It's a huge ****ing problem. That's something you, you know, test for.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I'm pretty sure if that were any kinds of valid in any way, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

According to that this "minor problem" is easily fixable. Whereas, apparently, a **** load of people, because of this 'update', can no longer play their PS3. And yet everything you have posted is all rainbows and sunshine about it.

It's a curious thing.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007209.html

obviously it's widespread enough to make sony pull it.

Last edited:
Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In an official statement issued to ThreeSpeech, SCEE explains the problem with firmware 2.40. It seems that there was a problem which "prevented a limited number of PS3s from activating properly after updating to version 2.40, when certain system administrative data were contained on the HDD." This has now been fixed with 2.41, though those who suffer from the problem (which prevents the PS3 from loading up the XMB) will not be able to access the new firmware update.

Instead, those who had problems with 2.40 will need to contact Customer Services and will receive a replacement PS3. 2.41 will prevent this problem happening to anyone else. The statement also reiterates that those who installed 2.40 successfully will not suffer from any issues. Good news all round, really. We're happy those people who were too slow to grab 2.40 will now be able to start earning trophies and enjoying in-game XMB with the rest of us.
According to Sony it is isolated. I guess we won't really know until they tell us how many PS3s they had to replace.

Luckily for me, I was getting drunk on a boat when the firmware was released. And it had been pulled by the time I got home.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They released the 2.41 patch for it today :|

But I know if an update made my console completely unusable and unrepairable, I'd be mad as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom