Quick question about the PS3

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And there was no reason for Hardware to brick a machine either.

No excuses either way, but it doesn't matter when it happens.
Actually, it does. The machines had just come out, Microsoft wanted to sell as many as possible and it didn't matter that there was a severe flaw in the design of the machine at that point, because it'd be quite some time before everyone realized just how widespread the RRoD was. Over time, the machines got better, RRoDs became less frequent and are now something you don't have to think twice about when purchasing a new machine. If the new machines were still dying and/or killing their owners, everyone would be on Microsoft's ass. We're late in the game. All of the kinks should have been worked out on all sides, and a quality assurance team or whatever Sony has should have tested the patch more thoroughly.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, it does. The machines had just come out, Microsoft wanted to sell as many as possible and it didn't matter that there was a severe flaw in the design of the machine at that point, because it'd be quite some time before everyone realized just how widespread the RRoD was. Over time, the machines got better, RRoDs became less frequent and are now something you don't have to think twice about when purchasing a new machine. If the new machines were still dying and/or killing their owners, everyone would be on Microsoft's ass. We're late in the game. All of the kinks should have been worked out on all sides, and a quality assurance team or whatever Sony has should have tested the patch more thoroughly.
Microsoft knew about the flaw and what caused the flaw.

They were using a graphics chip that was made 'in-house' to cut costs. It ended up costing them billions by not using a third-party chip set that was dependable. They've changed the chip set, and now you don't see RRoD much anymore. Microsoft knew about it, and that makes it even worse then releasing a firmware update that you didn't know would 'brick' machines.

You're just being ignorant if you think newly released things should come with known hardware issues.

But like I said, faults are faults, and should be looked after once they're known. That's why Sony is reworking the update. I don't think I've ever heard of an update (on any system) working flawlessly on the initial launch; that's why I wait a week or so to see if there is anything to worry about. This is the same with pretty much every software/hardware updates.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure me saying they realized there was flaw in the hardware but chose to release it anyway because it'd be quite some time before everyone noticed warranted you repeating exactly what I said.

I can understand releasing shoddy hardware to make a profit. That concept makes sense to me. Allowing software to brick someone's console isn't acceptable this late in the game. Patches don't need to be rushed. Patches shouldn't have a ridiculous flaw so horrible that it makes your console a paperweight. There is absolutely no excuse for allowing that to happen. They were either extremely lazy or are just horrible at testing their own software.

And no, this isn't the same with all software updates. My Zune doesn't stop working when I update it. My 360 doesn't stop working when I update it. My computer doesn't stop working when I update it. Nothing I have stops working when I update it. Why? Because these updates are tested.

You said:
You're just being ignorant if you think newly released things should come with known hardware/[software] issues.
You said:
I don't think I've ever heard of an update (on any system) working flawlessly on the initial launch; that's why I wait a week or so to see if there is anything to worry about. This is the same with pretty much every software/hardware updates.
Looks like you're the one who expects things not to work; not I.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just think that an update that is suppose to make your console better actually makes it useless means Sony owes those owners.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Who cares. Argue/debate/whatever in another thread.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sure me saying they realized there was flaw in the hardware but chose to release it anyway because it'd be quite some time before everyone noticed warranted you repeating exactly what I said.

I can understand releasing shoddy hardware to make a profit. That concept makes sense to me. Allowing software to brick someone's console isn't acceptable this late in the game. Patches don't need to be rushed. Patches shouldn't have a ridiculous flaw so horrible that it makes your console a paperweight. There is absolutely no excuse for allowing that to happen. They were either extremely lazy or are just horrible at testing their own software.

And no, this isn't the same with all software updates. My Zune doesn't stop working when I update it. My 360 doesn't stop working when I update it. My computer doesn't stop working when I update it. Nothing I have stops working when I update it. Why? Because these updates are tested.

Looks like you're the one who expects things not to work; not I.
Good lord man, you're insane.

There are lots of people who had the update and it worked fine for them. If you know anything about software updates, there are sometimes issues that arise. There's no reason to expect everything to work fine all of the time.

I would agree that Sony is responsible for those PS3's that stopped work, just like Microsoft is responsible for the RRoD X-Boxes.

My only point was that it doesn't really matter when the issue arises, the fact is that the companies need to deal with it. Microsoft knowingly released a faulty system. Sony accidently released an update that effected some PS3's. My PS3 is just fine.

Did it botch your PS3?

I've worked in phone support, and I know what updates can do to a system (in my case it was iPods). 99% would work fine, but there would still be people calling and complaining about update issues, or hardware failures. That's just life in the technology industry. Obviously Sony made a mistake, and that's why they're trying to resolve the issue.

Just because you've had good luck with all your updates doesn't mean that everyone else does.

Some examples:
http://iandixon.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!36983156CAA83EA9!1604.entry (not the update exactly, but an issue related to getting a software update none the less)
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/06/latest-xbox-360-update-causing-problems-for-some/ (this update bricked systems)
http://technabob.com/blog/2007/08/08/xbox-360-august-2007-update-problems/ (another that was causing issues)

---

I firmly enjoy both systems, but it's unrealistic to expect companies to always be spot on with their updates and releases, and I'm surprised that you'll say it's okay to release a faulty system, but not okay to release an update that they didn't know was going to cause so many issues. It's all the same, and it sucks both ways.

Who cares. Argue/debate/whatever in another thread.
That'd just spam up the forum. Better off to keep it to one thread.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No. I'm not a mod, but I'm asking you to either stop or put it in a new thread.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No. I'm not a mod, but I'm asking you to either stop or put it in a new thread.
Jeez dood, why not just relax? It's not hurting anyone or anything. Just don't read it if it really irritates you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It doesn't really matter, if someone wishes to post something that pertains to the topic, they can.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good lord man, you're insane.

There are lots of people who had the update and it worked fine for them. If you know anything about software updates, there are sometimes issues that arise. There's no reason to expect everything to work fine all of the time.

I would agree that Sony is responsible for those PS3's that stopped work, just like Microsoft is responsible for the RRoD X-Boxes.

My only point was that it doesn't really matter when the issue arises, the fact is that the companies need to deal with it. Microsoft knowingly released a faulty system. Sony accidently released an update that effected some PS3's. My PS3 is just fine.

Did it botch your PS3?

I've worked in phone support, and I know what updates can do to a system (in my case it was iPods). 99% would work fine, but there would still be people calling and complaining about update issues, or hardware failures. That's just life in the technology industry. Obviously Sony made a mistake, and that's why they're trying to resolve the issue.

Just because you've had good luck with all your updates doesn't mean that everyone else does.

Some examples:
http://iandixon.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!36983156CAA83EA9!1604.entry (not the update exactly, but an issue related to getting a software update none the less)
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/06/latest-xbox-360-update-causing-problems-for-some/ (this update bricked systems)
http://technabob.com/blog/2007/08/08/xbox-360-august-2007-update-problems/ (another that was causing issues)

---

I firmly enjoy both systems, but it's unrealistic to expect companies to always be spot on with their updates and releases, and I'm surprised that you'll say it's okay to release a faulty system, but not okay to release an update that they didn't know was going to cause so many issues. It's all the same, and it sucks both ways.

That'd just spam up the forum. Better off to keep it to one thread.
The only update you found that bricked systems came out 2 years ago, which goes back to my, "It's really late in the game to be making horrible mistakes like this". Network problems? Fine. Patch not working completely as it should? Fine. Those are acceptable outcomes. Nothing is perfect. Breaking your console at this point in time? No excuse for that. The consoles have been out long enough for them to avoid this kind of problem.

You've stated over and over again that in the beginning, the 360's failed. And they did. The keyword phrase there being in the beginning. Microsoft has ironed out most, if not all, of its problems, whereas Sony just bricked a bunch of consoles. Your PS3 is fine. Awesome. Some people weren't so fortunate. If their system was a little bonked, and was fixed with a patch 1 or 2 days later, that'd be fine. There's no valid excuse for bricking a console. Not in 08. Not in 09. Not for the rest of either console's lifetime.

It was okay to release a system at the very beginning of its lifetime that didn't function properly. It was a business move. I'd rather they hadn't, but I can understand why they did. They tested their machines and they knew **** was wrong. Sony obviously didn't test their software in 08 as thoroughly as Microsoft did before their machines ever came out. That can be attributed to laziness or ineptitude. You decide. Either way, it shouldn't have happened this late in the game.

Microsoft is on the ball now. Sony just dropped it.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only update you found that bricked systems came out 2 years ago, which goes back to my, "It's really late in the game to be making horrible mistakes like this". Network problems? Fine. Patch not working completely as it should? Fine. Those are acceptable outcomes. Nothing is perfect. Breaking your console at this point in time? No excuse for that. The consoles have been out long enough for them to avoid this kind of problem.

You've stated over and over again that in the beginning, the 360's failed. And they did. The keyword phrase there being in the beginning. Microsoft has ironed out most, if not all, of its problems, whereas Sony just bricked a bunch of consoles. Your PS3 is fine. Awesome. Some people weren't so fortunate. If their system was a little bonked, and was fixed with a patch 1 or 2 days later, that'd be fine. There's no valid excuse for bricking a console. Not in 08. Not in 09. Not for the rest of either console's lifetime.

It was okay to release a system at the very beginning of its lifetime that didn't function properly. It was a business move. I'd rather they hadn't, but I can understand why they did. They tested their machines and they knew **** was wrong. Sony obviously didn't test their software in 08 as thoroughly as Microsoft did before their machines ever came out. That can be attributed to laziness or ineptitude. You decide. Either way, it shouldn't have happened this late in the game.

Microsoft is on the ball now. Sony just dropped it.
lol the xbox was released on November 22, 2005. One of the updates which messed up systems was back in 2007.

You're wrong, and I don't know why you're being such a fanboy.

That's not even getting into the continuing issue of discs being scratched via the Xbox.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol the xbox was released on November 22, 2005. One of the updates which bricked a system went back to 2007.

You're wrong, and I don't know why you're being such a fanboy.
It is now 2008. 3 years later and hardware is no longer an issue. The only link you posted about bricking was from 06, which is 2 years ago. So again, why is Sony having difficulties testing their software in 2008 and why are you defending what is obviously a terrible mistake that should have been ironed out before release? You're comparing hardware problems that no longer exist to a software issue that should have been ironed out. Which is more difficult? Holding back software for a bit, testing it and fixing it or throwing out thousands of units because of a malfunction?

I'm not even sure how I'm being a fanboy. My position is simply, "This shouldn't have happened." You're saying it's perfectly fine because someone else did it long ago. Has that defense ever really worked? I never said, "I LOVE MICROSOFT BECAUSE THEY RELEASED A FAULTY PRODUCT!" No, I said I understood why they did it, and frankly, it made sense to do what they did. Do I appreciate being sold bad hardware? **** no, but I know why they did it, and it worked for them. They learned from their mistake, and most of the problems people had early on are gone. That was then and this is now. Why isn't Sony learning from past mistakes, be it theirs or Microsofts? You're the only one being a fanboy. You're saying it's alright to brick consoles because, you know, **** happens.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seriously, keep this **** out of my thread. God damn.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't care if it's dead. I asked a question, I didn't think the thread would turn into an argument.

Best answers
why dont u ask a mod to close it, if you dont want anyone debating. question was answered.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We're not arguing. We're conversing. Your question was answered and the topic of discussion changed slightly. It's still related, but it has a different focal point. Why would you deprive us of this conversation?

Wait a second. Is this part of....The Painening?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, I laugh every time you say that.

Whatever, you can continue :p

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And that, my friends, is called the Nixium mind trick.

I'm kidding. Or am I? You are not reading this post.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Wow...

just...

wow...

I don't even know what to say about the last... 7 posts above mine..

God damn.

;edit;

other than maybe "I used too many ellipses in this post"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom