PS3 is expected to suck [in sales]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The PS3 is expected to fail, mainly because out of all 3 of the next-gen consoles, it will be the most expensive, said to be around $600. The Wii is expected to cost the least, which is said to "not exceed $250", around $199-$250 and the Xbox 360, which costs $299 for the core system and $399 for the full system.

The sales analysts statement, and the rest of the story can be found here:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6153458.html

Discuss :O~~~~

Best answers
A assumption is just that Assuming, this is all just best guess, but honestly the sales for the 360 only did good in america europe and aust, japan doesn't want much to do with it.

PS3, and WII will be the main sellers there, Not to mention everyone i talked to said yea the price is steep, but look at what you get, id say 600 is cheap for that system, so if it failed so what, it would just be another dreamcast =P.

Microsoft is trying to convince the japanese developers to stay with 360, but i honestly think they will stick to sony, because they always have but i dunno only time will tell.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sony will keep itself alive on increasing PS2 sales while it's next generation system creeps into the market. I don't think it'll sell as many units as the other systems, maybe ever, but in the future it'll be moderately successful as the price drops. The PS3 is probably just going to raise Xbox 360 sales when pressured parents rush out into the fray at christmas and realize that they can spend $400 to get a system with nearly identical graphical capabilities (which, in our society, is huge) instead of $600 for a newer system with less games on it. It wont make sense in the mind of anybody but the die hard gamer that can't wait to get his hands on the next MSG and realizes that five years from now the PS3 will be a superior system.

I really like Sony, but I get the impression working in the retail market that they tend to ship a lot of products without considering what their competition has up for grabs. I don't think they'll sink, since they're supposedly going to keep producing PS2 games for the next five years, and they still have a massive fanbase there, but it'll hurt the company in the long run.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
They shoot themselves in the foot so often, I'm surprised Sony actually has any toes left. They've been losing format/device wars for over 15 years now.

Maybe they'll get a clue eventually, but definitely not in time for this generation. This battle is over, go home boys.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ermmm, didn't they beat the N64 with the playstation? The Gamecube with the PS2 and IMO, the PS2 is still better than the XBOX. That's 2-0 for Sony. Now the PSP is just a preference, some may look at it as a failed gaming handheld, but those people haven't looked at the homebrew possibilities with the handheld. If you compare the full power PSP (UMD Games, movies and homebrew etc., GPS system, Camera and possible other features they can release.) it blasts the NDS away!

Now I know 599 euros/dollars may seem like alot of money, and it is. But you get a 60gb hdd (more than the 360 if I am correct.), a HDTV output better than the 360(but you'll need a good HDTV then...), free 360-like internet service. Motion sensing in the controller, compatibility with the PSP. And a ****load of other things. Personally, I don't care if they supposedly "steal"stuff from other consoles. But I think with all these features, it is well worth 599 euros/dollars.

Best answers
-- The price will cause a few setbacks, but in all honesty, i think it's simply preposterous to believe that the Playstation 3 will fail-- especially due to the sales of the console. If a placement drop is essential for the PS3-- then i think it's safe to say that they won't drop any further then second place. The Playstation 3 and the Wii will definitely be battling it out for the six million console mark that will probably assure future dominance for either of the two seemingly amazing gaming consoles.

It's the next-gen vs the new-gen war this time around, and the current leader will always be the underdog.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really like Sony, but I get the impression working in the retail market that they tend to ship a lot of products without considering what their competition has up for grabs. I don't think they'll sink, since they're supposedly going to keep producing PS2 games for the next five years, and they still have a massive fanbase there, but it'll hurt the company in the long run.
When you win every time and the competition hardly puts a dent in you, it's perfectly normal to have that kind of reaction to opposition in the market.

According to Sony's pres, this happens every time Sony releases a playstation.

PS1: "250 dollars! How can you expect people to buy it for that price?! It'll never work!"

PS2: "300 dollars! How can you expect people to buy it for that price?! It'll never work!"

In the end the same thing happened both times--it ended up vastly outselling the competition.

I also hear that it is going to have a huge amount of launch titles, so that will be another deciding factor.

I'm not worried. It'll smoke the others, as they always have.

I swear, every time I say something negative about the Wii, someone goes and googles "PS3 sucks" and posts the link here. :0\

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im not getting a Bulky Huge Missle looking system for 8 thousand bucks

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to agree. The Playstation name alone is enough to get most people I know to buy it on release. Everybody can't wait for the PS3. I think it was a bit of a bad decision to release the 360 when they did. Sure, that meant their competition was the now inferior PS2, but with the limit of available games (even now) the only money they're going to get from it is simply from the fact that its the only and first super-platform on the market. Meanwhile, the PS3 still has time to be thoroughly tested and improved. The release of the 360 also alters the playing ground, because Sony knows the public reaction and expectations. Therefore they build off XBox 360's mistakes and get it ready for a bugless, perfect platform release.

They buzz and hype alone is enough to make millions overnight, so the idea that it will fail due to price is rediculous. People don't think in price if they really want something. The money is just an obsacle. The difficulty to purchase it only makes you want it more.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The PS3 will be successful; it's just a matter of how successful it will be compared to the competition. It's foolish to say that a 600 dollar price tag will not hurt Sony. A 600 dollar price tag will alienate the casual gamers who were the people that made the PS2 so successful in the first place. Many people bought a PS2 just to play sports games such as Madden (hell, the only reason I have a PS2 is because my brother bought it to play Madden with his friends), but how many people will buy a 600 dollar beast just to play Madden?

So far two major publishers have stated that they want a pricedrop by 2007 (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/03/sega-ubisoft-want-a-ps3-price-drop-in-2007/), this will affect third party support. If publishers think the PS3 needs a price drop for their games to be successful, they'll be less likely to make a game for the system.

The bottom line is that the PS3 is not that much better than the 360, definitely not 200 dollars better. You're paying for the brand name and Blu-Ray. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably get a PS3, but I'm sure as hell not going to be paying 600 dollars for it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
Ermmm, didn't they beat the N64 with the playstation? The Gamecube with the PS2 and IMO, the PS2 is still better than the XBOX. That's 2-0 for Sony. Now the PSP is just a preference, some may look at it as a failed gaming handheld, but those people haven't looked at the homebrew possibilities with the handheld. If you compare the full power PSP (UMD Games, movies and homebrew etc., GPS system, Camera and possible other features they can release.) it blasts the NDS away!

Now I know 599 euros/dollars may seem like alot of money, and it is. But you get a 60gb hdd (more than the 360 if I am correct.), a HDTV output better than the 360(but you'll need a good HDTV then...), free 360-like internet service. Motion sensing in the controller, compatibility with the PSP. And a ****load of other things. Personally, I don't care if they supposedly "steal"stuff from other consoles. But I think with all these features, it is well worth 599 euros/dollars.
Well yes indeed the PSP has better graphics capabilities than the NDS, but it seems that doesn't matter. PSP games generally cost $16-$20 more than NDS games and sell a lot less than the NDS. Not to mention the system itself costs almost twice as much as the NDS system does.

More info here on that: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6140988/p-2.html

The PS3 has a few, almost insignificant advantages over the Xbox 360, and nothing that would make it worth twice the price of the Xbox 360.

Read more on that here: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6125087/index.html?type=tech

The Wii has motion sensing controllers, backwards compatibility with the Gamecube and the ability to communicate with the NDS, as well as the feature that will probably be my favorite, a virtual console. A back-catalog of video games from all of Nintendo's old systems, including the N64, all downloadable on the Wii. So basically 5 systems wrapped into one very compact console [described as 3 DVD cases stacked on top of each other], all for $250 or less? I say hell yes to that, and Sony can take their expensive console and shove it, because I know where my money is going...

Now I am not a big Xbox fan, but the Xbox 360 delivers almost the same power as the PS3 and at half the cost, and it's already out with a mounting video game library.

I like Sony and all, and I still love my PS2, but charging $600 for a system that has features everyone else has, but for less cash is insane, and will result in their downfall in sales. The only reason I would even CONSIDER purchasing the PS3 would be for the new MGS game...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Think whatever you all want. Bottom line is for every one of us that buys a PS3, you have to sell 3 wiis to equal the profit.

They're going to do fine.

As for the links...

[gamespot search on 'ps3 sucks'] FTW.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be honest i can't stand the sight of a PSP, but PS2's are awsome

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Pride: Actually, you're wrong. Nintendo is almost making a profit on each system sold while Sony is losing hundreds of dollars for each system sold. Nintendo will make the most money next generation, even if they sell the least.

Best answers
Kurt` said:
They shoot themselves in the foot so often, I'm surprised Sony actually has any toes left. They've been losing format/device wars for over 15 years now.

Maybe they'll get a clue eventually, but definitely not in time for this generation. This battle is over, go home boys.
QFT.

It seems with every press conferance Sony destroys any hope it has of making the PS3 successful. Their E3 conferance was probably the worst press conferance I've seen from any company (and yeah... I watch my share of press conferances, and not just in the entertainment section). Removing the rumble for their "unique" motion sensoring device in another press conferance. Revealing that games can cost you upwards of 100 bucks each at another...

It's really unfortunate. I really had high hopes for Sony during the '05 E3. Sony's presentation was really good. And a failure for Sony's PS3 is a failure for nVidia. I've always been an nVidiot... And until it was found out that a lot of things shown were pre-rendered, I was sure I was going to buy a PS3. If not for anything, than for Metal Gear Solid 4. But with the constant stream of bad news Sony puts out itself... I can't justify spending well over 700 bucks for one game (no matter how good it is). Or... "Riiidge Racer!" Not only that... I'm not exactly interested in any kind of "actual Japanese history" that involves giant crabs.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PS3s cost a lot more to make than Wii's, because the Wii is running on mostly familiar hardware. That's why the price is so high.

I might get a PS3 at some point, but with all the news cropping up about it maybe not living up to everyone's expectations, I've been hesitant. However, not at one point was I ready to put down $600 for a system, no matter how awesome Sony tells us it is. PS2 games are fun, but most of them lack the polish that Nintendo games get, so yeah, my money's on the Wii.

Decades of Big N games for cheap without having to hook up 5 different systems = FTW. o/

Last I heard, you can't even hook up a PSX/PS2 Memory card to the PS3. Then what? If my PS2 breaks down, I can't play PSX games anymore, and I'll have to get ANOTHER PS2 just to play them. That's ****ing retarded right there. At least Nintendo's on the right track with its Virtual Console.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We have a 360 in the household, yet I still want a PS3. I have read that the PS3 will only be slightly more powerful than the 360 and that the cost is coming from the Blu-Ray capability. Now I plan on keeping this PS3 in my room, but is there a point for the Blu-Ray technology/HDTV if it is played on a regular TV? That is what concerns me on wether it will be worth it or not.

I've always prefered my PS2 than the Xbox, so I would hope that it would be the same for nect generation.

Best answers
wow is there ever anyone making threads about the 360, its like people dont even care it exsist or something its always nintendo or sony this and that :S but as for sony, the causla wont let them fail soo the only way they could fail is if they walk right into the halo 3 launch :rolleyes: :D

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Think whatever you all want. Bottom line is for every one of us that buys a PS3, you have to sell 3 wiis to equal the profit.

They're going to do fine.

As for the links...

[gamespot search on 'ps3 sucks'] FTW.
They are selling a $1000 machine for $500 or $600, your logic is completely backwards on this. Even Microsoft is losing $100 or so on their consoles, Nintendo will be making money on each system sold, and they won't be charging nearly as much for licensing their format as sony will, something that made all the 3rd party devs jump to sony in the first place.

Hmm, looks like Sony decided to make some nintendo mistakes this time around.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well Xbox 360 news isn't really interesting now that it's out and we know exactly what it has to offer. It's more fun to speculate and discuss information about systems that have yet to launch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom