PS3 is expected to suck [in sales]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well of course everything is on par now; it's all public! I'm talking about before the information was 'etched in stone', so to speak.

Reporting rumors is bad form in the news business anyway, but I guess I would be the only one here to figure that.

Gamespot is and always has been slanted. Any Nintendo related thing you saw there was probably SENT there by their own PR people, and I can assure you had nothing to do with investigative reporting. Neither does the coverage of the other stuff but it's always slanted in favor of the big N over there.

The stories about Nintendo rumors are always positive ones and the Sony ones are almost always negative. It's called 'spin', aka 'the angle', and it is a very real thing.

None of this opposition to it really concerns me, honestly. The Wii will do better than the gamecube did out of curiosity but I think that the PS3 is still going to crush everything in front of it. And sure, maybe all the people who work at McDonald's and CVS can't exactly spring for it on release day...but the industry's consumer base isn't made entirely of young people just getting on their feet, either. Those of us like myself will be able to buy it without even batting an eye, and I think there's enough people in good finances like myself to put it over the top.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I really can't believe I am seeing someone say Gamespot is Nintendo biased, haha, thats a laugh. They never update thier DS channel or GBA or Cube, thier coverage on it is **** when they acctually do it, and they slam the products pretty hard when they acctually get off thier ass and do something. I remember back before i left gamespot for good (because **** nin coverage and sony bias) that the DS channel had gone a month with no updates or news, while the PSP section was updated daily.

But hey, this isn't about gamespot, this is about the ps3 right. I think you took my previous post a little wrong, you assume I'm some kinda of idiot that either doesn't know how to handle his money, or someone with a horrible job and no money. Both happen to be wrong. I was merely saying that an extra 600 in spending cash is not just something i can get in a week or two, it would take a month or so to save up the cash....and for what? A PS3 at launch? Why, what does it have that makes me say, I NEED THAT! What features, or support makes me want to get one? None in my opinion. Especially with Sony and well, every company's first run defects. With a brand new cell processor that has never been used and a new disc reading format and disc, it's asking for trouble, especially for early adopters. I got my ps2 a launch and in less then 6 months I had the DRE and my ps2 was useless.

But hey thats just me, and from the likes of it a few others on this board. I know me not buying a ps3 won't cripple Sony, but I feel my reasons are pretty valid and I guess a few others do, with all of us combined, it might put a dent, who knows, haha.

Edit: I think it was Salior Alea that said she was going to go by history. Well that is not really a good thing to go on kinda, simple because as history has shown us, the most powerful consol has NEVER ended up number 1 at the end of the consols generation...I guess you just ment a selective piece of history.

Best answers
wow thas new for sure, and i expected its gonna be the greatest but 600$ tahts too much

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Edit: I think it was Salior Alea that said she was going to go by history. Well that is not really a good thing to go on kinda, simple because as history has shown us, the most powerful consol has NEVER ended up number 1 at the end of the consols generation...I guess you just ment a selective piece of history.
History also repeats itself.

Thrice owned shall the opposition be!

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
In any regard if you're living paycheck to paycheck you probably should be trying to find a better job or not be out on your own anyway. I mean, unless you spend every dollar you make on all that stuff, I'm sure that anyone--even a person with only 20 or 10 bucks extra per check--can save their money and get whatever they want, just in a longer timespan.
So, you're saying that the answer to the price debate is to save more money? 20 bucks per pay check... every two weeks... 35 checks... equals 700 bucks (price for 600dollar PS3 after tax and a single game, granted that single game doesn't exceed 50 dollars). so after thirty-five paychecks (about two weeks over a year if you don't count holidays at all) I can get a PS3?! Well... I'd just have to hope the PS4 isn't out by then... or the PS Three (the smaller version...)

Price matters, Pride. The average consumer is not willing to throw down 700 bucks to play one game (granted you choose the 600$ version, after taxes, game, etc.). Even if you go with the $500 PS3, that's about 600$ total to get your first game.
Look... I'm 19 years old. I don't have that much money to blow on my health insurance, let alone an entertainment console. And something tells me I won't be able to get by and grab a PS3 with my student loans like I did with my computer. Somehow I don't think the lenders would buy into my argument that a PS3 would help me in college.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's true. It isn't about whether or not you have the money to spend, it's about justifying spending that much of it in one place. The average consumer has hard time letting go of $400 on an entertainment item let alone $600. I have thousands of dollars put aside but that doesn't mean I want to drop $600 on a PS3 when I could use it to upgrade my PC or buy an Xbox and a Wii.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
History also repeats itself.

Thrice owned shall the opposition be!
The PS3 is the most powerful console of this generation.... if history repeats itself [and you agree it does] then your idea of a PS3 success is negated ;D.

Anyhoo....Bottom line is, PS3 = expensive, I = poor; expensive + poor = no ps3 for me. kthxbuy-a-wii

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Enix said:
The PS3 is the most powerful console of this generation
How can you tell if PS3 hasn't come out yet. >.<.....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Specs my dear Watson. Looking at its system specs, it is technically the most powerful system [i.e. highest GPU, CPU speed blaaa....]. It isn't much more powerful than the Xbox 360, but out of the leg it claims to have up on the 360, it has about a pinky toe...

Best answers
i saw something on some gaming show, and they had some sonic game running on ps3 and xbox 360 machines. They tried to see how much better the ps3 was by trying all these things to try and see how much difference you could tell. to see any difference you had to watch 360 on a screen, then freeze fram and switch to the same scen on th eps3. Every other time the only difference was ps3 looked a little brighter.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Enix said:
The PS3 is the most powerful console of this generation....
Be that as it may, the original Xbox still is, and always will be, the most deadly when thrown from an open window, simply due to it's massive size.

Best answers
Here's my analysis: I'm not buying one.

Sony just lost a sale. o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Price matters, Pride. The average consumer is not willing to throw down 700 bucks to play one game
This is sort of my point. You're not the average consumer; I am. For me 600 bucks is hardly a dent. My job isn't phenomenal as it might seem, I work 35-40 hours a week, get a shift differential, and get paid under 20 bucks an hour. That's where a lot of the average (american) population is. The heirarchy is simple enough:

People with no jobs
People in retail
People in lower management
People in office jobs
People in middle management
People in high management

Everything retail and below is going to have a hard time. But all I was trying to say, is anyone who wants it CAN get it--you just have to save for it. Which, to me, negates this whole stupid price debate. Because in the end everybody who wants one can afford it; if you aren't willing to save money for it then you don't even want it very much in the first place, in which case I don't see why everyone is *****ing that they can't afford something they don't even want, which is why I am so quick to anger with this anti-PS3 stuff.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's the point if you have to save for like, 6 months or more, just to get a console?

If you're really that poor, you shouldn't be thinking of getting a PS3 anyway. You'd probably be more concerned with, I dunno, having food and a roof over your head.

Some people don't WANT to have to save up for months and months just to get a stupid console. Fact is, the thing is expensive, and it's going to put certain people off of buying it. No matter how hard you try to argue against that fact, nobody is going to be utterly overjoyed to slam down $600 for one machine when the competition is hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The point he's making is that the XB360 is also expensive--and if you're in a position to afford the XB360, saving a little longer can get you the PS3. The difference between the two is significant, but it's not groundbreaking. And like -I've- been saying all along, considering the history of games that've come out for PS2 and the original X-box, you're getting a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better deal by going with Sony than Microsoft.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess that depends on your definition of 'much, much, much better', then. Since, as you implied, it's all about the games - if you don't like PS2 games, it won't be a "much, much, much better deal". Agreed?

That said, I agree that it's unrealistic to assume there's a vast group of people who don't like ANY PS2 game at all, as the PS2 library is very varied - but the way you put it (namely, saying that even though the PS3 will be more expensive than the Xbox/Xbox 360, the games will more than make up for it), implies a logical conclusion which doesn't exist, because, as I said, there might be people who don't like PS2 games and instead favor Nintendo or Microsoft.

You'd have to be a pretty hard-core Playstation fan if you don't mind slamming down $600 at launch when there aren't that many unique launch titles out yet. In my opinion, it would be best to wait until there are more games, before purchasing a new system. The added benefit of this is that there might be some price cuts on the system, accessories or games as well.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm saying that if you look at PS2's library of games, and the original X-box's library of games, it's pretty easy to predict which next-gen system will have the better lineup.

There were only a handful of games worth owning on the original x-box. Of those of you who played it, how much time did you actually spend on it? How much of that time wasn't a Halo game? I am in awe of how much faith you people seem to have in Microsoft, which six months previously from now, was the joke of the gaming industry--and in my view, still is.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Looking at the xbox and ps2 is a little different in this situation though. When Microsoft made the 360 and even before that, they have been maknig SIGNIFCANT strides into improving thier third party support. Now with Mistwalker (with EXCLUSIVE RPG's) , Square, they own Lionhead, Bioware, and just A LOT of new 3rd part support that the original xbox NEVER had, it's a bit hard to simply go by that comparison. Not to mention that the cost to make a game for the 360 or ps3 is probably 2-4x more then for the original ps2 and xbox, ergo you are going to see a lot more companies going multiplatform with thier games in hopes of getting back more and more of thier development costs (since the price of the games have only gone up like 10 bucks).

Will each system have big exclusives? Heck yeah, you can't debate that, but if your a casual gamer, which sadly makes up a lot of the market, and go to get the new madden in a year once the ps2 and original xbox are obsolet, what are you going to look up on the shelf and be more likely to chose. a 400 or less 360 or a 600 ps3? I would guess the majority of American's would chose xbox....just my guess though. Or of course the Wii, depending on how the new control works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom