PS3 is expected to suck [in sales]

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1. Parent's will get the PS3 for their kids for christmas.
2. Teenagers who have a minimum wage job can make 600 dollars in 2-3 weeks.
3. People who have full time jobs can easily afford 600 dollars.

The PS3 will do fine. ****, I'm **** poor, but I'm buying one. Why? Because I can easily make 600 dollars. I make 1000 a month, and that money's not going anywhere fast.

Oh yeah and just so you know, Sonly wouldn't make something that didin't sell, or doesn't have the money to create and then sell, and not expect a profit. Also understand Sony doesn't JUST sell Playstations, they sell cd's, stereo's, walkman's, headphones etc.

Best answers
It would be foolish to dismiss the undisputed champion of the last two generations simply because of a relatively modest price difference
Like I've been saying all along, history and precedent are valuable. As far as XB360/PS3 are concerned, there's definitely going to be a "next-gen winner," and if you take Microsoft's record--a $300 system with only a handful of games worth owning--the winner(s) are pretty predictable. Sony and Nintendo will "win" this next generation.

-- Agreed, Alea nailed it spot on, pretty much.

Best answers
It has SOny's label on it. SOny plans to use that label to make stupid people buy the PS3, so it will do MUCH better then the Wii....since the Ps2 did much better then the Gamecube. Casuels thimnk SOny's cool, so they will beg their parents or work until they can go to the store and order a PS3.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heres the way I see it:

1. Nintendo markets to a diffrent market than Sony or Microsoft
2. X-Box markets to a diffrent market than Nintendo or Sony
3. Sony markets to a diffrent market than Nintendo or Microsoft.
4. Yes, SOME (little ammounts) will be the same market as the other 2

This is mainly why the reason I bought a Nintendo DS over a PSP. I just did not like the games on a PSP and what places that I would normally use any other hardware that was on either of them, I already had the equipment for. The way I see it is that each console really does market to a diffrent audience. Its up to the audience to decide, not some random people on boards deciding on what to do.

Best answers
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mf29 said:
Im not getting a Bulky Huge Missle looking system for 8 thousand bucks
lol, says the guy whos favorite franchise sold out to nintendo xD (looking at your avatar/sig).

to be honest, from the amount of pre-orders weve gotten already (and were what, 5 months away from launch?) ps3 sure as hell doesnt look like a flop on sales.

yet weve had an overstock on 360's since january...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
And this time, the "competition" is just as expensive, like I've mentioned above--the XB360 and the HD-DVD will cost you about the same as a PS3.
Just wanted to address that statement. The core system, the basic set, which just allows you to play the games, nothing extra, just the system the hookups and a controller, cost $299. The full system comes with a few upgrades from the core, and in my opinion is worth it. It comes with a 20gb HD, a wireless controller, ethernet cable, and a headset, all for just $100 more, coming in at $399. Now I denno where you are from, but $300-$400 is a lot less than $600...

Back on the subject of the PS3. I am a little worried about the initial lauch, because it seem Sony has the most expensive system to be released and the most expensive system to manufactor. I am worried Sony might take some cuts in production to save some money, kinda like what I remember with the ps2, how just about everyone I know is on their 3rd ps2 (as am I) because they kept dieing out, and that is well known, even now if you go up to a game exchange store and try to trade in one of the older series ps2, they won't take em, cause they know they are faulty. I denno if that will happen now, but it already happened to the Xbox 360, and it could happen to Sony again. I'm not really worried about Nintendo, because history shows a line of clean releases for them.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want the full system, you're paying $400--and the HD-DVD add-on will almost certainly cost $100 (or more). Like I said, you're probably going to end up paying roughly the same amount of money, but getting a better system with the PS3.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The HD-DVD will be optional and it will cost $200. As for one system being better than another I wont get into that argument since neither system is going to be running at its 'peak' for years to come. In the meantime, until Microsoft decides it is absolutely forced to use HD-DVDs to provide a better gaming experience, which will not be for years, $400 is superior to $600. Look at it from a parent's point of view as well... they wont buy it for the... how many movies are on blu-ray as of now? As of its release? They just wont be able to justify it, just like I can't justify it.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As with PS and PS2, it's not the system that justifies the purchase. It's the games. But thinking ahead, due to the superior studio support, Bluray is the likely winner of the next-gen DVD war--and the PS3 will be a relatively cheap Bluray player--especially when the price drops even more.

Gamers know how much of a dissapointment the original X-box was, and how dissapointing the XB360 line-up is, as well as how well Sony's delivered in the past two generations. I really think it's shortsighted (even to the point of being pig-headed) to think that the non-monumental price difference is magically going to make the system a failure.

If this was the case, you wouldn't see anything but low-end Toyotas driving around on the streets--but you don't, do you?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Regardless of what so-and-so analyst says, which can be disputed easily, I prefer to look at history. And history shows the PS1 outselling the N64 and Saturn, and the PS2 outselling the Gamecube and X-box.
This is the most true statment ever said. Ps3 will hands down, out sell 360 and the Wii. Wii will give good competition but won't come close.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
This is the most true statment ever said. Ps3 will hands down, out sell 360 and the Wii. Wii will give good competition but won't come close.
Opinion, not fact.

IMO, I don't think the PS3 will be a failure as far as sales are concerned, but that's me. From my perspective (like, pretty much, everyone here, my opinion is skewed by past experience with Sony's conoles), I anticipate a large and varied selection of titles. That's what sold me on a PS2, and if extensive third-party support continues for the PS3, one could expect to see a similarly-sized and varied library of titles. Blu-ray be damned; if the games are engaging and span a decent spectrum of various gameplay styles, I'm sure many people will be inclined to save for the system, or (in the case of me and my bro when we bought the PS2) wait until the system drops in price in coming years.

cloud13

C
Considering that ps3 has almost as many games that arn't out yet that people want as the xbox360 has worth owning. Also thousands of people every year pay two to three times more for a computer with the graphics that ps3 will have and and the ps3 won't need upgrading. Sign me up, i can't wait.

Best answers
as for the ps3, i dont see what you are raving about games at launch that are going to be "total ownage", from what ive seen on e3 xbox and wii had the best display of games coming up, and ps3's games didnt looks all the spectacular...

yea oh well, what games that are coming out at launch, are extremly good that will be worth a 600 doller investment?(not a retorical question)

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Two hundred dollars is a monumental price difference to a lot of Americans when it comes to entertainment. You can buy 10 brand new special edition DVDs for that price or rent 40, and that's on top of the other $400 you're spending either way. It wont sink the system but it wont help and parents buying crap for their kids are not going to shell out $200 more dollars. We sell an Xbox about once a day, perhaps once every two days where I work, and I work in a very high volume retail store. We sell somewhere between four and six playstation twos a day because of the $129 price point (we sell 0-1 Gamecubes a day), and the majority of people I see picking up these systems have no idea what they are. The people who come in knowing what they want still gag over the $400 premium Xbox (assuming you don't get an additional controller, plug and play packs to recharge them, or games). The only people that I forsee buying PS3s from us will be strictly upper-class grandparents who throw all of their money at grandchildren or middle-class metal gear solid and gran turismo fans.

In terms of selling the console I can't justify the price tag either. The system is not significally better than the Xbox with regards to anything besides the gyro in its controller and how much superior the games might be three to five years from now. Microsoft might not be the best company when it comes to games but the price difference and game selection will win this christmas.

Sony will keep a lot of its fans, either through continuing the PS2 line or graduating them up to PS3s, but it's going to lose several of them to Xbox. Sony isn't going to die, I just don't think the PS3 is going to be a smash hit, not for a year at least. I mean, what's worth picking up on its launch day anyway? Metal Gear is a given, Warhawk if you have to play a flight sim on a console, Devil May Cry 4? I don't see anything else that justifies the splurge. Hey look everybody, it's Tekken 6! This time, it's back.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ouch, I don't know of any of you read this older article, but it seems to still stand true with the news on the PS3's launch price:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6144600.html?q=ps3 launch

Now I'm obviously not an expert in sales and manufacturing, but why doesn't Sony just go with the more cost efficient equipment in the first place, if they didn't want to get ****ed royally in sales at the initial launch? That way, the system wouldn't cost a small fortune to purchase and it wouldn't cost them their entire fortune to produce it, but maybe there is some contract they have to stick to for some odd reason that prevents them from using the cheaper stuff... If what is said in that article is true, then I think I will be waiting three years to get my PS3, I'm not in any hurry to play MGS4...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol, america's economy sucks... a premium x-box 360 costs ?209 with a new release game, an extra controller, and a month of xbox live xD

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
1. Parent's will get the PS3 for their kids for christmas.
2. Teenagers who have a minimum wage job can make 600 dollars in 2-3 weeks.
3. People who have full time jobs can easily afford 600 dollars.

The PS3 will do fine. ****, I'm **** poor, but I'm buying one. Why? Because I can easily make 600 dollars. I make 1000 a month, and that money's not going anywhere fast.

Oh yeah and just so you know, Sonly wouldn't make something that didin't sell, or doesn't have the money to create and then sell, and not expect a profit. Also understand Sony doesn't JUST sell Playstations, they sell cd's, stereo's, walkman's, headphones etc.
Where is this fantasy land you live in kid? Just because you got a full time job at McDonalds while living at hom making 1000 a month, great! That doesn't mean everyone can scrape together the 600 needed. I make around 1500 a month, but that goes to rent, insurance, car, food, water, gas, electricity, and sooooo much more. a nice 600 dent in that, for a system that is doing nothing new or must have then a 360, I'll pass.

Many of you seem to forget that the reason the ps1 and ps2 did so well was THE GAMES! It had unprecidented third party support that really pushed it along in the marketplace with some KILLER exclusves. Now though, with the highest dev costs in history, companies can no longer afford to hold big name titles to only one system hope to recoop all thier money spent. You will see more and more fo the must have games on ps3 AND 360. Look at recent news to find that even Assain's Creed is now going to be on the 360! What this means for consumers is that when they look at a 400 dollar price tag (maybe lowered even around christmas time) and a 600 dollar price tag, for only a small boost in graphics and some other features MOST consumers aren't going to use or care about...well I think that parents and consumers alike (Save for the hardcore and rich) will go for the cheaper of the two.

Heck if Micro does lower the price, people could get a Wii and 360 for the price of a ps3...I know where my money is going :D.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Where is this fantasy land you live in kid? Just because you got a full time job at McDonalds while living at hom making 1000 a month, great! That doesn't mean everyone can scrape together the 600 needed. I make around 1500 a month, but that goes to rent, insurance, car, food, water, gas, electricity, and sooooo much more. a nice 600 dent in that, for a system that is doing nothing new or must have then a 360, I'll pass.
This sounds a lot like the kind of stuff Cucumba says when it comes to this debate. And I have the same response: If you have all of those responsibilities the idea of buying a video game system should be the last thing on your mind.

Besides you neglect other stuff,

You guys really need to stop citing that ****hole Gamespot, too. That place is so Nintendo-biased...it's the place that's reported all the inconsistent 'rumorish' news about the PS3, the hundred dollar game bull****, the incorrect system specs, all that stuff. Gamespot is on nintendo's nuts HARDCORE.

In any regard if you're living paycheck to paycheck you probably should be trying to find a better job or not be out on your own anyway. I mean, unless you spend every dollar you make on all that stuff, I'm sure that anyone--even a person with only 20 or 10 bucks extra per check--can save their money and get whatever they want, just in a longer timespan.

You must not have ever witnessed what happens when a kid cries for a Playstation and gets an Xbox instead, either. Parents don't make the decision, the kids do. There might be some carry over in that group--kids who see the Xbox display and their moms are able to change their mind, kids who ask for one or the other, etc.--but none of that matters because PLAYSTATION IS NOT FOR KIDS anyhow, and I suspect it accounts for a relatively small amount of money overall.

I'm not rich. I make my bankage, though. I can EASILY afford this, though. Most of my friends who are working **** jobs at like CVS have all recently gone on a computer buying spree, on which they've spent up to 800 bucks...so while your excuses may be valid in your case, you can't blame you not having your finances solidified on the company or its product. My boys are in the same scenario you are with rent, gas, insurance, etc...and we live in Taxachusetts to boot, costs us ****loads of money just to go to each others houses because we have to take toll roads through town, etc. but they all managed to get together plenty of money for their computers--with only a few weeks of saving, at that.

I guess what I'm getting at, without trying to sound like a jerk, is that the company isn't going to fail just because you in particular can't afford the machine.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
You guys really need to stop citing that ****hole Gamespot, too. That place is so Nintendo-biased...it's the place that's reported all the inconsistent 'rumorish' news about the PS3, the hundred dollar game bull****, the incorrect system specs, all that stuff. Gamespot is on nintendo's nuts HARDCORE.
O RLY?

That's funny, because I see the same thing, from many other sources like..I denno IGN, CNN, Wikipedia and even the BBC:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/680/680835p1.html - http://ps3.ign.com/articles/714/714775p1.html - http://ps3.ign.com/articles/716/716144p1.html

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/08/technology/ps3_pricing/index.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4752895.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5088154.stm

Even found some of the same stuff on well known Playstation fan sites:

http://www.ps3land.com/article-415.php
http://www.ps3portal.com/ps3/article/447.html

Gamespot reports the rumors about the PS3 because there are many rumors being spread, and if there were more rumors about the wii, they would report them, and they have been. I think the news they report on each system is well rounded, and not one sided at all. Also Nintendo is getting a lot of attention because they are actually doing something new and haven't revealed everything yet, and of course that will lead to a few extra articles, but that's to be expected with something we know little about.

Also, you said they posted incorrect system specs, well the system specs have been posted on the Playstation 3 official website...

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/specs.html

and it seems Gamespot posted them correctly:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6125429/index.html

as did IGN:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html

No one hates the PS3, that is all in your mind, we just don't like the price tag...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom