PS3 is expected to suck [in sales]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sadly, as much of a nintendo fanboy i am, the predictions are wrong. Very wrong. SaiyanPride is right, customers, rich or poor will pay anything for the crap Sony spews out. Whether it's the vast launch titles, like the vast amount of games available when the PS2 was released (Midnight Club, Gran Turismo 3, Tekken Tag, and a couple of other games) or the ****load amount of peripherals you need to buy to fully enjoy/play the game the way it was intended, Sony has won. Boy do i wish i was rich so i could buy the PS3...

Best answers
Ness said:
Sadly, as much of a nintendo fanboy i am, the predictions are wrong. Very wrong. SaiyanPride is right, customers, rich or poor will pay anything for the crap Sony spews out.
See... things like that make me want Sony to fail. The FACT that Sony is actually counting on the stupidity of gamers (no offense).
Sony is counting on it's brand, and only it's brand, to sell the PS3. Sony could put a giant turd inside the PS3 and it would still sell, because gamers buy into their bull****. It's exactly what Nintendo did the first year or so the gamepube was around. It wasn't until a couple years ago that really innovative and fun games started coming out on the Cube. I can totally see Sony do the same exact things Nintendo did. And without the innovation and imagination of people like Miyamoto, Sony might not be able to climb out of their self-dug tomb like Nintendo did.

Best answers
-- I think some of you are jumping too far ahead-- it's almost a fact that both gaming consoles will sell out during launch-- with that said, i don't think it's fair to actually pick a winner just yet. But after the first 6 months-- who's going to see a massive slowdown in gaming console sales first-- Sony or Nintendo ? that's the question, and what we should really be speculating about, but i think it's pretty obvious in my opinion. I just hope Sony made some quality hardware this time around, because alot of people surely won't be replacing a Playstation 3.

Random

R
Anyone want to buy my Sega Genesis? My scrub butt is not going to shell out a freaking mortgage payment to play a console. Screw that, I'll go make friends with some rich 13 year old kid and buy him cigarettes and beer or something.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This was posted on Gamespot a few days ago, but I think it might be relevant to the PS3 release if Sony doesn't find a way out of it. It seems Sony has cheated the Tokyo Tax Authority and might get stuck with a rather large bill for taxes.
[almost $800 million dollars]

More info here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6153438.html

[edit]

Also, to add-on to my comment about the Wii and its virtual console, it seems you will also be able to download games from the Sega Genesis and another system I have never heard of.

"At the 2006 Game Developers Conference, Nintendo announced backward compatibility for the Sega Genesis and Hudson's TurboGrafx-16."

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
You guys are arguing over which prediction is right?

Am I the only one who sees something wrong..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think this is going to nessacairly stop the Sony fanbois getting the console however. I'm waiting to see what titles are going to be released for it. I haven't really bothered with consoles for a long time now, the last consoles I bought anything for were for a PSX & N64. Heh, and me and my mate busted out my Snes the other night when he found it in my other room to play some street fighter, truly old school o/.

If the titles are any good for it, then I might consider buyying one, I'd assume I'd have more money and have my carpentry apprenticeship by the time it's out.

Best answers
I used to think that the ps3 would be first, the revolution(wii) would be second, and that the x-box 360 would be last.
But now the way i see it is the x-box 360 first, the wii second, and the ps3 is last.
And I love my ps2 and my ps1 and all my nintendo consoles, and i really hate the x-box(don't ask me why i don't know). And yet now i dislike sony, can't side i hate the ps3 because it still has mgs, but unless the ps3 fridge actually refrigirates my food its not worth $600. /rant

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
dude if the ps3 had a fridge it'd be the number one appliance and console hands down.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Regardless of what so-and-so analyst says, which can be disputed easily, I prefer to look at history. And history shows the PS1 outselling the N64 and Saturn, and the PS2 outselling the Gamecube and X-box.

Time will tell.

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Regardless of what so-and-so analyst says, which can be disputed easily, I prefer to look at history. And history shows the PS1 outselling the N64 and Saturn, and the PS2 outselling the Gamecube and X-box.

Time will tell.
Yeah but history has also shown that a single company will not always have the lead. History has also shown that mistakes in consoles can have huge consequences for a company (ie Sega Dreamcast, Atari, what have you).

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
History has shown that there was never a company #1 for three generations in a row. We shall see.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You will never Truly Know until, Wii and PS3 hits the stores, then you can say what is actually gonna happen.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
History has also shown that overpriced consoles don't fair too well. :rolleyes:

*looks at Neo-Geo*

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
Yeah but history has also shown that a single company will not always have the lead. History has also shown that mistakes in consoles can have huge consequences for a company (ie Sega Dreamcast, Atari, what have you).
History hasn't really shown anything conclusive. There's only one remotely similar example, which is Nintendo's fall-from-grace by designing the N64 around a reactionary, conservative decision to sacrifice its capabilities in favor of a pointless, slightly-harder-to-pirate (Although time has shown--which games can you find ROMs for every smash hit within 30 minutes of searching--N64 or PS1?) storage medium.

Nintendo lost their two-generation lead with NES/SNES (although arguably, the Genesis did very well on its own ground, especially worldwide and in Japan) because of their backwards decision with N64 and Sony's relatively forward thinking with PS1.

Sony stole that lead, and has kept it until now. There's no 'precedent' that Sony's following--only Nintendo's previous failure, and if anything, this would be similar to ATi and nVidia constantly battling it out for superiority, except with more at stake.

Sub said:
History has shown that there was never a company #1 for three generations in a row. We shall see.
In an industry that's only been around for the past 20-30 years, or in the case of consoles, a little less, the absence of something is hardly "evidence against it." Sony's shown no signs of slowing down--they still have the third party support (among other things) that made their systems smash hits in the first place.

It would be foolish to dismiss the undisputed champion of the last two generations simply because of a relatively modest price difference (especially if you compare the $599 model to the $400 XB360 model--what happens to that "$400 price" if you buy the HD-DVD add-on?)

When PS3 comes out and we start seeing Bluray quality movies and 1080p games, I think people will see the difference between the competition. XB360 will be just as expensive with the HD-DVD add-on, but with less and inferior games (just like with PS2/X-box) and Nintendo will be left-over, mostly appealing to families and children.

I really don't see much changing. The price certainly is surprising, but you only have to pay it once, and the difference isn't staggering. Even if sales are a bit slow at first, the first time a must-have comes out (like MGS4, the next Final Fantasy, etc)--you'll see people forgetting about the price (or possibly dealing with a price drop) and the system will re-assert itself as leader.

Like I've been saying all along, history and precedent are valuable. As far as XB360/PS3 are concerned, there's definitely going to be a "next-gen winner," and if you take Microsoft's record--a $300 system with only a handful of games worth owning--the winner(s) are pretty predictable. Sony and Nintendo will "win" this next generation.

Edit:

Kurt` said:
History has also shown that overpriced consoles don't fair too well. :rolleyes:

*looks at Neo-Geo*
CDi and 3DO are also good examples of that. However, neither of them had either the marketing expertise, third party support or technological framework that Sony has. Also, Neo-Geo was outrageously priced. Nobody in their right mind would buy it. The PS3 is merely "very highly priced." $499 and $599 respectively aren't impossible to afford. And this time, the "competition" is just as expensive, like I've mentioned above--the XB360 and the HD-DVD will cost you about the same as a PS3.

Best answers
The way i see it is that the sony is doing to the ps3 the same thing that nintendo did to the gamecube. Sure the game on it will have better graphics than the wii but making these games will cost the developers (and the consumers) more money. Anywho i'll probably end up buying one anyway however it will not be anywhere near the launch of the ps3 but most likely closer to the launch of the ps4...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They are selling a $1000 machine for $500 or $600, your logic is completely backwards on this. Even Microsoft is losing $100 or so on their consoles, Nintendo will be making money on each system sold, and they won't be charging nearly as much for licensing their format as sony will, something that made all the 3rd party devs jump to sony in the first place.

Hmm, looks like Sony decided to make some nintendo mistakes this time around.
Yeah, well I guess a company that's been 'going out of business' for three years must make those kinds of dumb mistakes.

If you want to talk about backwards logic...by your own explanation, people are all complaining about a 400 dollar instant rebate off a thousand dollar machine that none of them allegedly even want. Where's the logic in that?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
clen said:
The way i see it is that the sony is doing to the ps3 the same thing that nintendo did to the gamecube. Sure the game on it will have better graphics than the wii but making these games will cost the developers (and the consumers) more money. Anywho i'll probably end up buying one anyway however it will not be anywhere near the launch of the ps3 but most likely closer to the launch of the ps4...
No offense intended, but did you put much thought into that statement? Sony is doing the exact opposite of what Nintendo did with the GameCube.

Nintendo, for the second console in a row, chose a worthless storage medium (mini-discs) in hopes that they would deter piracy--they kept the production costs low, along with the system's capabilities. They chose not to compete in graphics, control (or anything, really) in favor of pushing out a cheap, easy-to-manufacture console.

The result was a profitable system that developers didn't flock to because of programming issues, limited capabilities and the widespread popularity of alternatives--the GameCube sold a decent amount of units (because they were cheap), but there were only a handful of big sellers.

Sony is taking the exact opposite route--they're investing in next-generation, as opposed to "last generation" (as Nintendo does) technology, and risking on an expensive, unprofitable system, hoping that the games will make the machine a success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom