New Map texture's

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering that 1.3 is going to be the lastest installment of ESF, I figured that they need to update the map textures. Most people have better computer then when ESF first came out, and I feel that ESF should accommodate those who do.

When your character is close to the ground, you can see that the textures are not as defined as they could be.
In this picture below, you see that the lines on the Cell Tournament square are fuzzy/blurry. What they should be is smaller, more realistic and better looking.
http://www.esforces.com/images/gallerynew/g_21.JPG

In this picture, the grass textures are fuzzy/blurry as stated before. They too, should also be more crispy.
http://www.esforces.com/images/gallerynew/g_15.JPG

Yes, the textures do look perfectly fine when you are in the air, but they should also look nice when you are on the ground as well.

Possible ways of fixing this problem:
- Making the Textures more scaled to the ESF models. The squares and grass textures should not be bigger then the character models.
- Not sure if they are 24 bit or not but if they are, possibly kicking it up to 32 bit.

If ESF did this, then it would give them more of a professional feel. Remeber, details do mean alot.

Best answers
Hmmm he does have a point ya know...............this game should be updated with games of it's times now. Make it better lets start a riot Kidboy17. *starts riot!

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I am not trying to start a riot. I am just pointing this out. ESF 1.3 should be more aimed towards better computers. They coudl always have the options of nice graphics to be able to turn off if the player chooses so. If I play 1.3, I want it to look the nicest possible.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
o_O

Up your vid card settings kidboy

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Its called half life.

Remember when you're on the floor its like being zoomed in, esf is scaled down.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
1) That's not KidBoy's pic, hence why it's being hosted on esforces.com, it's a genuine 1.3 pic.

2) Your camera is way zoomed out, the other pic is zoomed all the way in. It's probably the same.

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
"Making the textures 32-bit" doesn't have anything to do with the problem, nor would it fix anything. Bit depth is the number of colors that can be represented in the image; what you're seeing is an issue of resolution.

Say, for example, that the tile texture you see is a 128x128 texture. If it were to be resized and touched up (so you're not just stretching it) you'd be able to get closer to it without it becoming blurry. Some maps use detail textures (example), a relatively recent addition to the GoldSrc engine, to address your issue.

The Viking
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Even though we pull everything we can out of the hl engine graphical wise, we still want more people to be able to play it, so resizing the textures probably won't happen.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't remember where, but aaaaages ago (like, last year) I recall PCJoe (or maybe Hars) mentioning a modification he wrote to the HL engine to allow high-res .PNG's to be used as textures. While I think it was in reference to player model textures, it might work the same for maps too?

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
I can't remember where, but aaaaages ago (like, last year) I recall PCJoe (or maybe Hars) mentioning a modification he wrote to the HL engine to allow high-res .PNG's to be used as textures. While I think it was in reference to player model textures, it might work the same for maps too?
If that is true, then that would be awesome.

And DragonDude had a point, resizing would be good.

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
If you can find that, post it. I'd like to see it. :eek:

However, the way models and maps are treated as files and rendered is rather different. Models are much more of a... liberal format than maps. Using PNGs as map textures may be possible, but certainly not in the same way. I'd imagine you'd have to create your own custom WAD specification, rewrite WAD and map compiling tools, and rewrite much of the map rendering code in the GoldSrc engine. To me, it just doesn't sound like it would be worth it.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Basslover722 said:
Wow there has been alot of posts since i last posted today!
I fail to see the joke in there O.O

Anyhow. The problem is that ESF is scaled down. Heck Goku is 64 pixels tall. Now i want you to make a texture that fits that size with out loosing quality. Its next to impossible.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It is possible to downscale textures in Hammer, making them sharper and smaller, but I hear that makes the map slower...lag...etc...

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Textures that are scalled below 1 can also cause compiling errors ^^

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The .png thing is just for models, just to let you know. Was fairly sure that was supposed to be either force pit or kept secret... i cud be wrong though :x

The Viking
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The .png thing is for maps and it's already in use, Joe was also going to implent it for the models. If you check your texture folder in your esf folder there's png textures in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom