New Map texture's

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega said:
Textures that are scalled below 1 can also cause compiling errors ^^
Oh great... another thing I didn't know... well there goes all of my maps further down the toilet...

Anyway, those who make the maps can set the size of the texture over a given area, making it smaller makes it look nicer, making it look bigger makes it look more pixelated (don't know if that's the right choice of words). With making textures for Half-Life, the length and width of a texture has to be a multiple of 16, the highest size (either length or width) is 2,048. If you were to make all the textures in ESF 2,048 pixels by 2,048 pixels then you would get a higher quality texture. The only problem is that a lot of times the compiler for the map will give you an error due to something having to do with the texture size (I don't know if it's due to the length or width size or the file size).

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
umm guys, its called texture filtering.

Half-life uses (by default) either bilinear or trilinear (havent found out, but I think its the worse bilinear) filtering. This means that it takes samples and does samples every X distance and creates an image for that. What will happen is when you look verry close at bilinear filtering, it looks crappy. In that picture the other guy posted, he was using bilinear filtering with 24 bit textures on. On the one that is the ESF post (that is auctally a v1.2 post) 24 bit textures were turned off.

Now for the guy that has an x1900, I reccommend you go into your ATI catylist controll center. Turn on Anistropic filtering. You will see some awesomeness. This is a post process effect that will always use anistropic filtering no matter what the game or program calls for.
Anistropic filtering takes samples more often and gradual throughout the map so you dont get crappy views.

The reason why the textures cant get any better is because half-life does not use the newer texture filters, and you are stuck with the crappy bilinear filtering. And if people were to reduce the texture size, then other people with lower end machines could not play at all.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
Oh great... another thing I didn't know... well there goes all of my maps further down the toilet...
I said could cause problems. It dosent allways do it. ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't know of one.

Isn't it also wally that makes the textures a bit limited, I haven't really got a clue what some of you said, since I'm a n00b.

So you guys are saying if you go close to the texture it zooms in, that sounds weird...

Oh and all you mappers, your topdown terrain textures, do you guys use .png?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom