Not open for further replies.
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
[EDIT: I've replaced back the old chatbox, but will leave an IRC link active in the top and on the forums for people to use]

As a lot of people already may have noticed, I've replaced the forum chat box with the Mibbit. Mibbit is a nice AJAX IRC web script. The only thing you have to do to join the chat is to scroll down the forums, enter your nickname and to click the "Join" button. You may ask, why the change?

First, Mibbit is completely independent of the ESF Website Server. This means that the Chat Box no longer uses the resources of the server that the website and forums are on. This means that mibbit will show your chats instantly with no delay, and you are easily able to private message other people and able to ignore them as well. To make it even easier for you guys, the #ESF chat channel located on the GameSurge.net IRC Server has a bot named SurgeBot. From this bot you are able to use commands such as .files , .forums and .news to trigger actions and gives you answers related to the name of the command which will help the new people further without the need of someone to be around in the channel.

And as last, The ESF channel has been inactive / almost dead for quite some time now, so it would be great to revive it once again.

I know this is kind of getting used to, but I think you'll like it if you give it some time. There are 2 themes currently. A white one (default of mibbit) and a black theme which is set on the Forum Black theme. For those who are using an IRC Software, you can join the #ESF channel on irc.gamesurge.net.

You are welcome to give comments, suggestions, complaints. But I'm afraid I cannot set mibbit so it'll automatic use your forum name. Just remember, impersonating someone (especially a team member) is a ban able offense on both IRC & Forums. If you wish to stick around for a long time, It's highly recommended to use an IRC software such as http://www.mirc.com/

Last edited:
The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sorry, I said it on the new chatbox but i'll say it here again, I prefered the other one, when I didnt have to enter my nickname every time, I could access from every forum page and the previous conversasions were stored so I could see what people were talking about. Besides this one toke away that quick acess to active threads, witch I used a lot.

But hey, maybe you're right, maybe its just a matter of geting used to. And at least it's a server relief (was it slow with the other chatbox?)

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Yea, there was some delay when sending chats on the previous chat box. And it also gives some stress on the forum server as well. I'll see what I can do about the logs though, and also the new threads/replies.

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll just leave MIRC up all day, so no problems here. That chat delay was getting worse

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I was speaking with some one last night about this and bam next day it happends lol. Damaera I think the guy was.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I'll be adding a logbot on the #ESF channel to keep a log archive/history.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
:/ I hate having to enter my nick all the time, I hate its not on every page, and I hate the active topics bar being gone.

Not a fan.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh yeah, Active Threads Bar was amazing. Now I'm sad

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It's ok. Its a heck lot more impractical then the old chatbox, but whatever, it's a matter of getting used to.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would rather have the old one back. The Active topics was great and the chat was perfect.

Gotta say thumbs down on this one.

Wouldnt really have to worry about someone stealing names in the old one due to it showing who is admin and not. Plus it was simple where as It wont even let me and many others sign into the new IRC Chat.

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Wouldnt really have to worry about someone stealing names in the old one due to it showing who is admin and not. Plus it was simple where as It wont even let me and many others sign into the new IRC Chat.
Mind sharing the error/issue/problem?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I just tried Deathshot3, works fine for me.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
EDIT:
A added a show/hide box around the chat box. If you prefer not to see the chat box, you can easily hide it and it should stay hidden. I'm still working on it to make it as best as possible for you guys. For those who really dislike it, see this as an Experiment to see how well things are going.

Last edited:
NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I found some bug.
Let's say you're logged into the chatbox. Then you go to some thread in forums, now after you viewed the thread you come back to forum index page and try to login again. It says that the nickname is already in use. And when you try another nickname, it disallows that because it's not the one with which you are registered in forums.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Most likely will cause either a quit or a timeout. If the user with the name quits, you should be able to use it right away again. If its a timeout, You'd have to wait a minute or so before able to use the name again. Never experienced this bug though.

And when you try another nickname, it disallows that because it's not the one with which you are registered in forums.
Why would it disallow it? You can use any nickname. But preferred to use your forum nickname or close it to so everyone knows who you are.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In all honesty, if I wanted to use #esf, I still have mIRC kicking around. I don't hate IRC, but I thought that the chatbox was more than convenient enough and, like most others posting in this thread, loved having an actively-updated list of threads being created/updated. Also, I didn't find the chatbox delay THAT noticeable. Perhaps it was time to clear the archive again :p

In any case, IRC is fine and dandy, but I think I'd rather just use mIRC for when I feel the IRC-craving... which may be sparingly :\

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It might not be the delay, but rather strain on the server as the reason for the switch?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It might not be the delay, but rather strain on the server as the reason for the switch?
Hmm, perhaps. But that begs the question of why the chatbox wasn't ditched in favor of an IRC applet the last time Sky put one up...

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It wasn't as active back then. It's been used a lot more since the beta applications went up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom