Moving in advanced melee.

Best answers
I've never posted a suggestion and this is obviously my first one, well here goes.

The ESF melee system is very cool and I think they shouldn't change it, but I was noticing that, while meleeing, it looks kinda static. The players aren't really moving around in the map. My idea was to let them move around while doing the advanced melee moves.

It's simple, whenever the attacking player in advanced melee makes a punch or kick that hits, the other player will be blown back a bit. That way, it looks like they are more moving around and fighting. I'll give an example:
A player finished prepunching and is starting to charge his moves and he does the following (just an example):

UP(strong), DOWN(strong), LEFT(weak), RIGHT(weak), LEFT(weak), RIGHT(weak), DOWN(medium), DOWN(STRONG).

If the other player doesn't block anything, then the attacking player will punch/kick him upwards first, so the defending player is flying upwards. The attacking player swoops/teleports upwards to wait for the defending player in order to punch/kick him down. Then, he swoops/teleports down again, waiting for the other player to arrive, he will continue with his left, right, left, right punches/kicks so the defending players moves back a little bit with every hit. Then the medium down will move the player a bit more further than the weak moves and he will finally be punched/kicked down by the last strong technique, ending up on the ground or in the air.

Now, in this situation, the defender didn't block anything and because of that they're moving in some sort of a straight line. But if the defending player blocks some moves, he'll actually dodges them according to the game. So when he dodges an attack by moving to the left a bit, the attacker will follow him with his next attack. That way, the fight won't have a straight line all the time, allowing players to fight and move through the whole map.

However, there are situations that players are fighting close to the ground, a wall or the top of the skybox. Let's say the players are doing advanced melee just a few meters from the ground and the attacker performs a down strong move. The defender doesn't block/dodge so according to this movement suggestion he will be smashed into the ground and the melee is over. That is wrong! The defending player will be smashed down towards the ground, but the attacker will teleport quickly enough to await him there and continue his combo.

This is my suggestion and it might need some tweaking and stuff. Personally, I think this is a good idea (I wouldn't have posted it otherwise) and I think it might give some more DBZ-feeling. What do you guys think?

Best answers
i think dats a great idea but wuld dat be suitable for h-l wouldnt it take alot of coding?

wouldnt it also need more animations?

Best answers
It would take probably more coding, yes. But I don't think it'll require more animations. The current animations are good enough, they already got the punches/kicks, teleport (not really an animation), swoop and the animation when you're blown away.

Best answers
One word...Briljant :)
I do agree that when in meleestruggles you should move..[OFFTOPIC]and prepunching should take up to 20 hits actually :)
Nice idea..

Best answers
Well, I wasn't really talking about moving around in the melee struggles, more in the part where they can do the directional attacks.

Best answers
Yes...but when you knock someone for above way down...then the struggle moves right?

Best answers
Yeah that would bring back the speed in the game. These certain "modes" you go in when you're advance meeleeing or getting adv meleed are crap, you can't move and you're like totally stuck, wich takes out the speed and the freedom of movement.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what about when you fight way to close to sky or ground, than there is now way he can be fast inough to catch him.

Best answers
niobe said:
what about when you fight way to close to sky or ground, than there is now way he can be fast inough to catch him.
Uhm, you might want to read my first post again. I said that, for example, when they are fighting close to the ground and he smashes the opponent down, the attacker just teleports down to where the defender will fall to catch him.

Optimus Primal said:
Yes...but when you knock someone for above way down...then the struggle moves right?
Could you explain that? I was talking about the directional attacks you can make in advanced melee, not really about a power struggle.

Best answers
Personally I agree with that, but only in cases of heavy attacks.

Best answers
Would help against people who just sit there and wait for a battle to end with a charged BB or KHH to smite the victor and/or loser. They wouldn't know where they're coming out of the fight.

Best answers
this is an awesome idea. Only addition is that if you both have high enough PL you randomly teleport around the map

Best answers
Personally I'd like to see that, but in a 4th mode of power.

Eg : It turns yellow or fusca or some crap. That knocks the person in said direction, you teleport up there, while you're waiting for their torso to come to you, you can either imput 3 minor attacks, 2 meds or one heavy, and continue your fighting with that one free hit

The circumstances :

You must have the KI left. You cannot teleport straight ontop of people without the Ki and it works to balance it's self out.

The % chances of a random direction arrow are the same as a heavy punch/kick.

If you put them into the ground/a rock...the melee ends. This aught to give you some direction as to where you're going to be smacked.

While in flight, the person being flung is subject to the same melee rules as if it were a hand to hand fight. They may not be harmed by beams and what not.

as an added Twist : If another player is caught in the attack, they will be subject to getting beat on in advanced melee.....this would need to be tweaked alot , so just an off the wall suggestion.

The pros :

It's damn cool. (never a good thing when it starts like this, but hear me out)
Adds yet another "thing" that can be done to control your terrain and what not.
Escapes the "damn it" BB fired right at you when you exit melee.
Opens up some interesting combo idea's eg : Light combo, yellow punch, heavy attack to knock them to the ground afterwards.

The cons:

Takes actual Ki to teleport. If you use this it will take alot out of you, depending on how well you do it.

Dis-orienting (eh, minor)

Doesn't really change the game dynamic.

Best answers
I agreewith you on the KI Toll, but I personally thought of only the green, blue and red attacks and not an extra yellow of some sort. With the green attacks, they are blown back only a few centimeters (the fight actually moves). Blue attacks may send them a bit further (the attacker has to swoop for a second to catch him). Red attacks send you flying away and the attacker teleports to place where the defender will end to continue his combo.

And you don't know where the melee ends. (Remedy against those beam/blast spammers when you just come out)
Combo's look cooler
Gives more DBZ-feeling

But the meleeprocedure just stays an automatic procedure where you only put in directional attacks (at least that was my idea), it doesn't change the game much like you said, but it's a vast improvement on the current situation.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uhm, you might want to read my first post again. I said that, for example, when they are fighting close to the ground and he smashes the opponent down, the attacker just teleports down to where the defender will fall to catch him.
but first you said
a few meters
and i said
way to close
to close means like like 50cm of the ground, there is no way you can catch that fast.
they would be knockt out so you just cant continuw.

Best answers
Why shouldn't the attacker be able to catch him in that situation? After a strong punch/kick down, he teleports right away and since teleport is instant moving, he will be there in time.

There's also another solution: You simply have to aim where you're punching him, or else the melee fight is over. But I like the first one better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom