Melee Combos

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well that's your problem Lynxy, you're assuming that people can't perform them. You don't really know, it seems that you hold yourself up much higher than other people and won't have any claims that people can do combos. That's fine man, but it just makes you look like an ass, I also don't think anyone cares about a list of waht you think is possible or not. Most people already know anyhow.

Best answers
Do you know what makes you look like an ass? The whole thing of not reading my lines. You take a quick look at my nickname and you start typing. I never said they couldn't perform them. I'm saying they probably wouldn't perform them if those who they are practising at would be playing, dodging and recovering.

Of course, anyone can perform a combo at someone not moving. Everyone knows that, you just smash them against a wall or ceiling, wait for them to fall down and go for another hit.

I'm not assuming you can't do a single combo properly in a fight, I'm assuming you'd be suprised whenever that person is fighting, recovering from hits and not that easily to get in an angle to hit. Call it my problem or not, it's a fact.

Try combo'ing someone who's fighting, recovering and keeps dodging. The time of recover will be instinct to you in no time, you'll be smart enough when you can perform something and when you cannot. I think that's a tad more effective than just go around like "OK stand still, let me try my 3 combo".

Just my point of view, might actually help.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lynxy said:
Do you know what makes you look like an ass? The whole thing of not reading my lines. You take a quick look at my nickname and you start typing. I never said they couldn't perform them. I'm saying they probably wouldn't perform them if those who they are practising at would be playing, dodging and recovering.
What is with you and accusing people of not reading your posts.. I read your entire post, and yes, you were assuming that most people that say they can do combos, really can't in a regular game of ESF.

Of course, anyone can perform a combo at someone not moving. Everyone knows that, you just smash them against a wall or ceiling, wait for them to fall down and go for another hit.
Yes, well since you don't know what combos we're talking about, I don't think you should speak of things like this, becuase this wasn't one of the combos. Maybe you should go get the demo cell was talking about so you could be properly informed before you speak.

I'm not assuming you can't do a single combo properly in a fight, I'm assuming you'd be suprised whenever that person is fighting, recovering from hits and not that easily to get in an angle to hit. Call it my problem or not, it's a fact.
Yes i know of that fact, that's why i only perform them when the situation is right.

Try combo'ing someone who's fighting, recovering and keeps dodging. The time of recover will be instinct to you in no time, you'll be smart enough when you can perform something and when you cannot. I think that's a tad more effective than just go around like "OK stand still, let me try my 3 combo".
Heh, You keep thinking... wait a minute... you keep ASSUMING, that i've only performed these combo's to a standing enemy. That's far from the truth man, but think what you will, i could really care less.

Best answers
Wow, so you went into a game, had 17 duels and exactly in the 17th, you did the combo? Yes, that does sound like you were actually fighting *cough*. And don't try to tell me which combos I know, I know more than you can count. Fighting to perform combos isn't fighting, it's trying to get someone in that exact angle you can do your combo, I wouldn't call that fighting.

Yet again, it's not that they don't know combos, it's if they know how and when to perform them. Everyone knows how that regular 3 combo of hitting someone up and immediately smashing them down, another thing is to perform it, which is another case.

Knowing combos doesn't mean you can perform them. I know alot of combos, in fact, every hit you make can be turned into a combo. Then comes the performance part, where you actually screw up.

There are hits like real fights, when your both in a swoop and one hits another, the one flies far to the back, there are things like teleporting 8+ times and giving them another hit. Do I know them? Yes. Can I perform them most of the time? No, I can't.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lynxy said:
Wow, so you went into a game, had 17 duels and exactly in the 17th, you did the combo? Yes, that does sound like you were actually fighting *cough*. And don't try to tell me which combos I know, I know more than you can count. Fighting to perform combos isn't fighting, it's trying to get someone in that exact angle you can do your combo, I wouldn't call that fighting.
How ignorant are you? When i posted that i could do these combo's Cell contacted me and wanted me to show him, so i did. I also mentioned that i couldn't do one of the combos, so he tried helping me with it. It was just for show but it was fun to actually pull it off. Yes, that one took me 17 tries. Why are you assuming that this is the only time i've ever tried doing combo's? Why don't YOU try reading people's posts fully instead of complaining that people don't read yours. Let me make it clear for you so if you haven't been reading up to this point

**READ NOW**

in a NORMAL game os ESF, when I'm fighting someone, i can pull off a 3 hit combo if the situation is right. NORMAL, not a game where someone is standing around letting me hit them, a NORMAL game of ESF with say about 10 players in it or more.

Yet again, it's not that they don't know combos, it's if they know how and when to perform them. Everyone knows how that regular 3 combo of hitting someone up and immediately smashing them down, another thing is to perform it, which is another case.
YES, like i said before when the situation is right i can perform a 3 hit combo.

Knowing combos doesn't mean you can perform them. I know alot of combos, in fact, every hit you make can be turned into a combo. Then comes the performance part, where you actually screw up.
Ok, well i didn't say that i KNOW them, i said i can PERFORM them..

There are hits like real fights, when your both in a swoop and one hits another, the one flies far to the back, there are things like teleporting 8+ times and giving them another hit. Do I know them? Yes. Can I perform them most of the time? No, I can't.
Another pointless example... All you're saying is you don't beleive that i can do them, personally i could care less. I'm not going to send you a demo or get into a game with you just to PROVE that i can do something, maybe one day you'll be in a server and you might see me do one.

Best answers
The thing i cant get is y the hell did u have to comment on this in the first place Lynxy.... fair enuf u have ur "opinion" on this topic but no1 has ever said anything about having done the combos they say they do in a real fight.....u were right somethign dose smell like crap Lynxy... and thats u....uv single handedly taken this thread off its intended topic of "Ideas on how to do melee combos" and trued it into "Lynxy's Im better than u all so have to add my 2 cense cuz theas ppl cant live wihtout my input".....geee hardy har har look Lynxys made a negetive statment and now has to validate it by pullingup the cradencials of lesser payers.. that although do combos on otherwise still targets...can do them non the less....BTW
how the hell do u expect ppl to learn how to get the timeing and aim down pact if they dont practice?? gee makes perfect cence....so whats it like to b perfect?????? cuz we all know u woke up 1day and hade EVERYTHING worked out..wake up man....If ur gonna say negitve things ur just gonna get negetive things back.....so next time u get this type of earge heres what u do....

open note pad.......write what u feel...read it till its NOT so funny to u anymore...then (and heres ther tricky part) leave it alone!!
I know im not perfect but, do i know of combos?...YES.. and can i preform themMOST of the time on half decent players? YES......

Best answers
Visit school and pay attention to english classes, that's all I can say to you, whoever you are. Also, you don't need to mention my name every sentence. Well well well, so you can perform combos at will in any fight? That's just great. Why don't we 'check' that out in ESF itself. I'm ready for it, are you? I'm sure a reply like "No I don't feel the need to show you" will get there, I'll just take that as a "No I can't because I'm only talk talk". I know what most people can do, I've been playing this for ages. Someone pulling a 3 combo at me during a fight, besides those in -Lite- ? No, never seen 'm. So I'd like to see you do that to me at any server alive.

And erm, ssj4goku58, if your coming out of nowhere with a total view of who I am, leave down a name or anything so I can actually memorize you. Also, stop bragging about me if you don't know me, fair enough. You can practise all you want, I'm not holding you, nor is anyone else. I'm saying you should practise with the recovery time included. It's not like people are going to stand still watching how you combo then.

Anyway, up to you, if you'd like to 'practise' like your playing a not-moving ESFbot, I'm not holding you. If the only thing you can get out of my posts is the thing what 'hurts' you, then stop reading them. If you would actually get the prime point, you'd know where I'm talking about. Your just taking out the thing that's aimed exactly at you and going completely over to that. This thread is about combos, not about me.

Anyway, about that game. I'd like to see you pull out a 3 combo or whatever at me while I'm fighting. I'd be suprised if you would manage that. If you want, I can take care of a server.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You guys are all taking each others' opinions too personaly. If you want to start a war do it on foriegn soil, I'll have none of it here.

Slugga: All that lynxy was saying is that very few of the people who brag that they can do these combos successfully in game actually can. They've done it against bots perhaps, or new players who dont know how to recover after they've been hit with melee, but there is next to no chance that they could perform a three or more hit combo on someone who is constantly moving and swooping out of the way of your attacks.

If you are swooping at somebody and they teleport and take off to your right, and you head them off and hit them into the ground, you aren't lined up for a perfect combo. You *might* be able to recover from that sharp turn fast enough to swoop down and knock them up in the air, but if you are in the middle of a fight and you've both been going at it you probably wont have enough ki to teleport up in the air and knock them back down, let alone teleport the number of times you've practiced exactly, and end up just where you need to be to hit them back down. When you're swooping in straight lines it's one thing. When you have to compensate for angles during a fight it throws off your game. Unless you are one of the top ten or so players of the ESF community you will not be able to pull off these moves the majority of the time. Even if you are one of the top ten best you most likely can't pull these off the majority of the time... perhaps a quarter of the time, or a third if you've practiced the hell out of it. There are just too many variables.

How do the combos change when there is a wall involved? How do you compensate for a sloping ground? Water? Other stuff comes into play. You guys seem to be thinking that there will always be flat ground below you or a flat wall in front of you, which isn't always the case.

So no matter how great you think you are, unless you can nail someone out of a teleporting swoop combonation from the side at the perfect angle to take them down on a nice flat surface which happened to be placed directly under them and still have enough energy to swoop down, knock them up, then teleport up in time, assuming latency doesn't kick in, and you don't accidentally teleport the wrong number of times, and you move yourself over your opponent quickly enough to aim at the correct angle and have enough ki left to successfully melee your opponent... well you probably can't do it. That's all he's saying.

And lynxy, people respond hostily to you because of your attitude. Relax.

Best answers
Combos are one of those things that make the game fun. However, when two players are great, a 2-hit combo is pretty much the only thing I've seen. That is, hit em to the ground and then swoop-hit em up. The only type of 3-hit combo I've ever done on an elite is on cell day, when I keep smashing them into walls and bumps. So yeah, you guys can practice combos off a block counter as much as you want, but I guarantee you that you will choke during the real thing, and it also takes away from your fighting skill because you keep thinking about doing the combo right. I think they said 7 +/- 2 is the magic number for storing things in your brain at one time in psychology class. So yeah, I had my stage where all I did was practice combos, but then again, I realized that its a waste of time and the action is too fast to even pull them off unless you have a favorite one. I have one combo that I try to pull off, because remembering more than that is no good. My 2 cents.

Best answers
The thing that bothers me is that they don't even read the post, they just go by the 'attitude'. I'm not responding personally to someone when I know hes not that good related to me. I just answer the question or talk along. I guess that's what's making my posts seem that hostile, while they're in a helpful way if you take a second look at it. I guess that's the main problem, oh well, it'll pass :)

ForeverZero mentions what I was about to, when your having a fight with an elite of your caliber, it's too fast to even think of a combo to do. Except for some wall and floor hits, there's pretty much nothing you can do. I'll try to get a demo when I'm having a good fight and you'll see how hard it is to even try a combo at that speed.

grOOvy, get ur ass in uni :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"They don't even read my posts"

Rofl... you say that a thousand times, but you are the one who doesn't really read. How many times have you brought up the fact that you think i say i "know" these combo's when i haven't said that. I've said that i can "perform" them each time. How many times have i said that i only do combos when the situation is right... Which means that i know you can't always do it, that sometimes when there is a really mobile player it's hard to do a combo. I've said all of this, at least twice already yet he acts as if i haven't. I knew that he was going to end up asking me to prove myself even though i typed down that i don't take the game seriously enough to actually take time out of my day to prove to someone that i can do a combo... in a GAME. So don't accuse me of not reading, and don't be so hypocritical.

Sonic, i respect what you say, but not only is he saying that he doubts people can do them against an adequate player( becuase if he was, I would have no problem with his post) He's also saying for people to just stop all together. He's trying to hint that he's better than everyone, it's just a little annoying to hear that. That's what bothers me about his post.

Yes, i know that there are tons of factors that come into play when doing a combo, that's why i've said repeatedly, i only do combos when the situation is right. I don't disagree with any of you about how hard it is to do combos at certain times. However when the opportunity presents itself, i take it, even then it doesn't always come out right, but yes, i can still do them. No lynx, I'm not going to try and prove it to you (if you would have read most of my posts, you would have already known that) The only way you're going to see me do it, is if you happen to catch me doing one in a server. I'm not going to take time out of my day to satisfy someone who's done nothing but frustrate and anger me.

All in all, i just think Lynxy should try not to constantly be so negative, i don't see how his post was of any use to this thread, other than a " look I'm better than you and you suck so don't even try" comment.
I'm not going to post anymore becuase it's pointless.

Best answers
Awwww, did I step on your toes there? Sorry, won't do it again pup.

Satisfying me? I'm asking you to get into a server along with me to just show me those 'combos' during a fight. "Take time out of my day", do you need that much time? It sounded like you could do those combos at any time during a fight, or are we backing off from that?

Point taken and rejected, if I was to be treated with any decency, I'd consider being 'positive' towards you, or anyone else(Doesn't mean I'm being this on purpose, you'll get the point). We wouldn't have gotten through all this if you just didn't felt that offended and hurt by my little comment. It's just about a game, as you said.

I guess it were pure talkings after all. No matter, I deal with them everyday. I'm done with it, it's settled, over.

Back on topic again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Point obviously not taken. You want me to show you my combo'scorrect? If i do then i will be satisfying you, understand that. I have no intention of doing that. You're condescending attitude is not needed, there are plenty of people that anger me, for different reasons. Your reason is becuase of ignorance, so No, you're not stepping on my toes. Treat you with decency??? If you want decency you'll have to show some to me first, you were the one that started this whole thing.

"This is a game, as you said" No, this isn't a game, these are forums... When you insult me, you're doing it in real life, not in a game. Stop being a fool.

You have to be the one of the most childish people I've talked to on these forums. Crying about someone else having a similar name, insulting people becuase you don't think they are as good as you. Well go ahead man, I'm glad you're so proud of yourself sitting in front of a computer and being good at it, Congratualtions.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No offense Slugga but you've said exactly what he already posted that you would say about not needing and/or wanting to show him proof because he "doesn't deserve it." You have fallen into his trap.

Also note that these forums are just a small sampling of reality, and in no way representative of "real life" or life outside of the internet.

Lastly you also applied to his point about people dodging his arguments by bringing up his attitude. Sorry Slugga, but either you didn't read what he wrote, or you too hastily pumped out that last response. This round goes to Lynxy.

HOWEVER I do agree that he was showing off his attitude by telling everyone to stop practicing. I don't think he was doing that to be a ******* though, he was just pointing out how futile the attempt to master that kind of thing is. There are more important things to do.

Best answers
Never cried about anything. And don't try to pull attitude or anything into this thread. This is about Melee combos, not about your experience with me. And I said this is about a game, not a game. If I'm truly insulting you from here, not even using curses, sorry, I feel sorry to hear that :/

Oh, and I don't know where you got your "Wow ur so much better" part of. But I'd take that as a compliment, whatever your on about.

I'm not replying anymore either, it's settled.

[Edit: Sonic was a few steps ahead of me, ignore the story above. Anyway, I wasn't telling people to stop practising. I was telling that if you actually practised in true battles, you would eventually learn it. It's the point of performing them, not just knowing.

If it sounded like I was ordering you to stop, then sorry. After all, it was an attempt to help, however you take it].

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No offense Slugga but you've said exactly what he already posted that you would say about not needing and/or wanting to show him proof because he "doesn't deserve it." You have fallen into his trap.
Oh dear god. I posted that long before he asked me to prove myself, which was one of my points. So, no i haven't fallen into any trap. Even if I did, i could care less waht he thinks about me, and how good he thinks I am at a game.

Lastly you also applied to his point about people dodging his arguments by bringing up his attitude. Sorry Slugga, but either you didn't read what he wrote, or you too hastily pumped out that last response. This round goes to Lynxy.
I have never dodged any of his points. I've addressed all of them, and I added my Opinion of him at the end, so, i don't know where you're getting this from. With all due respect Sonic, i don't consider you the authority on who has the winning side of arguments.

I won't be able to reply for the next two hours, i have a class.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not the authority on who is "winning" I was just stating the obvious.

If you cannot support the claim that those combos can be used in battle then you cannot argue the point in question. If you are simply arguing whether or not Lynxy has an attitude than the answer is yes.

Lynxy wanted you to show him what you were arguing and you decided against it. You didn't come up with a sufficient reason why you wouldn't (considering that you were arguing this with him) and so you have sidestepped his confrontation by making comments about how full of himself he is.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, well, you should realize that my point is i really don't care if anyone beleives me. You don't have to, I don't feel obligated to prove myself to someone i don't know. Maybe if someone i respected asked me to I would try my best to show him/her, but this isn't the case. not only that, I can't just get into a server and start doing combos all over the place. I've already said this but here it goes again. I can perform combos when the situation is right, or when the opportunity presents itself. I've never claimed that i can do it all the time, or in any situation.

You are right about the whole attitude thing. That's why i replied to him, becuase he had an attitude, and his post had nothing to do with the thread. The thread was originaly about Combo Idea's. Lynxy came in saying that he didn't beleive that most poeple could perform combos in a regular non-controlled enviroment of ESF. What does that have to do with the thread? Nothing, it was just a negative comment that really didn't belong there.

It's not like he asked me to prove myself before i denied it. The truth is that's not what this thread is about and i already pointed out that i will not prove myself just becuase someone wants me to. I said this before lynxy challenged me, so he shouldn't have asked as he already knew the answer. That little portion is between Lynxy and I so if you want to discuss more Lynxy, i suggest we talk about it on AIM or MSN it really doesn't belong in this thread.

AIM - Phatslugga1000
MSN - [email protected]

Best answers
I think it belongs here. People need to hear that while combos are cool, they aren't practical. Why should we sit here and watch an entire thread influence 15-20 naive newbs to waste their time practicing something that won't make them a better meleer?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think they can be practical. If you're fighting in a real fight, there are all sorts of times that are a good use for combos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom