McDonalds toys illegal in California

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly i dont see a problem with keeping the toys to low fat meals. They can still choose not to buy those.

Its the stuff that Cuc mentioned thats a major issue.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't see a problem with the original way either. Again, the parents are to blame here. not the companies.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't see a problem with the original way either. Again, the parents are to blame here. not the companies.
Yea but as someone mentioned. We are not living in the 90s. A little plastic toy is not something kids want these days. So i highly doubt this can have a negative effect on their business.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're just mad. I mean, only the cool kids got these:

NOSTALGIA.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea but as someone mentioned. We are not living in the 90s. A little plastic toy is not something kids want these days. So i highly doubt this can have a negative effect on their business.
Maya specifically asks for Buger King and Wendy's because of those little plastic toys.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find the use of toys to encourage unhealthy eating habits in children to be fairly disturbing, but that's just me.

@Cuc: Good job invoking Godwin's law in your first post. Keep it up and the tea-party might make you a main figure in town-hall meetings, provided you can shout loud enough (clearly you already know more than one way of writing nazi, which puts you miles ahead of the competition) and show up armed.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maya specifically asks for Buger King and Wendy's because of those little plastic toys.
Tusche. Guess i can not fully comment on that then since im not a parent. But does this not strike you as bribery of sorts?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find the use of toys to encourage unhealthy eating habits in children to be fairly disturbing, but that's just me.

@Cuc: Good job invoking Godwin's law in your first post. Keep it up and the tea-party might make you a main figure in town-hall meetings, provided you can shout loud enough (clearly you already know more than one way of writing nazi, which puts you miles ahead of the competition) and show up armed.
While I agree that doing this is no better than having cartoon characters hawk cigarettes, I don't see why the government needs to get in between my child and my parenting.

As for your so unsubtle jab and backhanded compliment (I think), I'm just going to leave that hanging there as the hyperbole it is. Unlike your comparison, I have already demonstrated government intrusion to inexcusable levels in my household.

@Grega

Am I fulfilling my job as parent if I ALWAYS give into her desire for another plastic toy? We eat out less than once a month.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do not underestimate the ability of kids being able to play with anything. This is not something restricted to a time period, but has been true since the dawn of mankind. Even in the day of videogames, kids still love everything. It's just how they work. As we get older we seem to lose the ability, well most of us anyway, which is such a shame. :(

Tusche. Guess i can not fully comment on that then since im not a parent. But does this not strike you as bribery of sorts?
When I had a job, working at a gasoline station. We were instructed to give candy to kids. This serves several purposes. Parents need to tank, kids in the backseat demand to come back there, parents being nice actually do that. It also creates a connection to the brand, and when those kids get older, there is a big chance that they will get their gas from a specific station/brand. It's quite ingenious and evil.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Am I fulfilling my job as parent if I ALWAYS give into her desire for another plastic toy? We eat out less than once a month.
Heh guess you are right about that. Again i probably dont really have to much right to comment, since im not a parent.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've lost the need for plastic toys ever since I learned how to play with myself. I have no use for plast- ...Wait.

...Brb.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do not underestimate the ability of kids being able to play with anything. This is not something restricted to a time period, but has been true since the dawn of mankind. Even in the day of videogames, kids still love everything. It's just how they work. As we get older we seem to lose the ability, well most of us anyway, which is such a shame. :(
Watching Maya grow up has been the most informative period of my life hands down. Watching a tiny human life that is utterly defenseless in everyway and quite literally a blank slate with some instincts turn into a functional (if hyperactive) human being has been utterly without words to aptly describe. She can busy herself with a rubber band for hours and leave a $50 toy that interacts with her, speaks and makes movement or light shows sitting alone in a corner. That's not to say that fancy toys don't grab her attention, but I've seen her play with just two rocks from the driveway for hours.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Watching Maya grow up has been the most informative period of my life hands down. Watching a tiny human life that is utterly defenseless in everyway and quite literally a blank slate with some instincts turn into a functional (if hyperactive) human being has been utterly without words to aptly describe. She can busy herself with a rubber band for hours and leave a $50 toy that interacts with her, speaks and makes movement or light shows sitting alone in a corner. That's not to say that fancy toys don't grab her attention, but I've seen her play with just two rocks from the driveway for hours.
The fancy toys are not for the kids, they are for the parents. Give the parents a good feeling about themselves spending the money. Kids could not care less. Sure certain things get hyped, but in the end. Nothing is as versatile as a rubber band!
On a side note, yes. Kids are absolutely amazing.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

When I had a job, working at a gasoline station. We were instructed to give candy to kids. This serves several purposes. Parents need to tank, kids in the backseat demand to come back there, parents being nice actually do that. It also creates a connection to the brand, and when those kids get older, there is a big chance that they will get their gas from a specific station/brand. It's quite ingenious and evil.
Evil being the word. Using Kids who think nothing bad as pawns for schemes. Then again i was never one for that sort of stuff. I was happiest when i was jumping with the bike or climbing trees.

And no i never wore a helmet on the bike and didnt kill myself [/shot at overprotective people]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The fancy toys are not for the kids, they are for the parents. Give the parents a good feeling about themselves spending the money. Kids could not care less. Sure certain things get hyped, but in the end. Nothing is as versatile as a rubber band!
On a side note, yes. Kids are absolutely amazing.
Box > Rubber Band. Proven over and over.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While I agree that doing this is no better than having cartoon characters hawk cigarettes, I don't see why the government needs to get in between my child and my parenting.
I'm not going to accuse you of being a bad parent, but you have to admit that there are a lot of bad parents. Over 10% of kids have a pretty terrible home situation, even with government intervention. I have no doubt that the kids taken away from people you know were taken for good reason, as I don't inherently think goverment employees are different from normal people. I mean, if you worked in social services, would you want to separate a child from its parents? I think not.

If people did not need a government, there would not be a government. This is why there was no government for roughly 150 000 years. There was no need for it. Now that we have an agricultural society - a civilization - it is necessary to have the government regulate certain things. I believe we can both agree that children should be protected - but who will protect the children when their parents don't?

Granted, this is a tightrope, but as with all things, this can and should be regulated in accordance with the need. I think you should be allowed to give your daughter a fruit-snack for lunch at school, and there is no reason why this shouldn't be allowed. It's just an example of politics that arises out of spite rather than necessity, which in turn is a result of the two-party system you have going (where both pretend they are a polar opposite of one another). I believe in sensible politics, but it seems that neither the democrats, nor the republicans, nor the tea-party (I hesitate to even mention this, as it seems to be mostly a collection of people who should not be allowed to vote by merit of their own political ignorance) are capable of committing to sensible politics.

As for the toys, this is an example of what I'd call sane regulation. Much like I think it'd be sane to ban hedgefunds all the other fancy financial things that made the US economy fall on its ass.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not surprised, they basically made it illegal to sell (and pass out) sodas and other unhealthy foods and drinks at schools over here.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not surprised, they basically made it illegal to sell (and pass out) sodas and other unhealthy foods and drinks at schools over here.
That's fine. Banning a product as a whole. Schools have a parenting role too, and this is a proper way of doing it. However checking lunchboxes is taking it too far, because that's up to the parents.
Banning a toy from McDonalds is even more retarded as the person in charge is with their children, it's THEIR choice, not the kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom