Live Action Dragonball Z Movie: In the Making

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Paul Anderson isn't directing AvP2, so hey, nowhere to go but up.
have you seen the trailer? looks like a modern take on an 80's teen slasher flick, and not in a good way. they've completely thrown out the predators honor code, and, although there's only gonna be 1 predator (awsome), there's only gonna be like 5 aliens, and the predalien dies early on...

what happened to the good old days? in the original alien and predator films, you didn't know what the **** was killing people for the first 3/4 of the movie, and THATS what made things scary... the fact you've spent time getting to know, and like, the cast, they aren't just an elite commando team, they are YOUR elite commando team. seeing them killed off one by one, seeing them quake in fear... that's what made the original films so good.

the only thing that could redeem AVP2 os this:

pred walks into a bar, meets arnie and danny glover remeniscing over the preds they've killed, a brawl ensues, and a group of aliens burst in. knowing the only way to survive is to team together, they do, but soon realise they are ****ed. but!!!

all of a sudden, and Ellen Ripley, who's traveled back in time to wipe out the alien race before it ever reaches its prime, bursts in, saves the earth, and kicks the crap out of arnie, glover, and a predator.

seriously, i should be a script writer.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hey, if paul anderson can have a dayjob and write scripts, so can i!

Best answers
I think Sean Schemmel is a good balance. When he's NOT serious and just being fun loving, his light almost clueless sounding voice fits Goku to a "T". But when he's pissed and in hero mode, his voice goes into that familiar mid-tone growl. His fighter and childlike personalities are so different from each other, and I think Schemmel really captures that.

Remember the ssj3 Trans?
lol Sean Schemmel rocks.

Grega said:
I remember a transformation where an ozaru roar was heard in the background during the scream. The US version didnt have such things.
@ Grega:- Oozaaru voice? That would be Super saiyan 3. and the dub has that sound btw.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Japanese music? I like the SONGS, with vocals for the openings and such. Not so much of a fan of how the orchestral music came out for the actual score. It's a bit muffled too. It's good for Dragonball, but later in the DBZ it's not as effective. Faulconer I loved for DBZ. The techno-rock fusion went well with the overall feel of the show, not to say all his work was brilliant, but he did justice to nearly every landmark scene. GT, I despise Mark Menza. From the intro theme to his stale soundtrack, the soundtrack of 1,000 themes, all of them the same. Why he was chosen over Faulconer escapes me greatly. In GT I'm sure the Japanese score was better. I certainly like Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku over the "GT Rap" (or should I say "cRap").
Heh, imo, the japanese soundtrack really does suck, with a few glorious exceptions, which contained guitar solos in them and such. But....classic instruments for an anime like DBZ? That definitely didn't go for me. But no more than Faulconer's music did. At first, I have to admit I did like it, but it got to repetitive and bored me after 10 eps. There are much better music artists than him, I mean just look at any currently airing anime's soundtrack. Naruto, Bleach, even Death Note had a nice soundtrack. Tenjou Tenge as well, and many others. I prefered them all over Faulconer. Why not take one of those artists? I'm sure they'd do a much better job than Faulconer. But maybe that's just my taste. I just hope he doesn't do the music for the film.

And....Mini-Me as KRILLIN!? WTF!?

Best answers
Heh, imo, the japanese soundtrack really does suck, with a few glorious exceptions, which contained guitar solos in them and such. But....classic instruments for an anime like DBZ? That definitely didn't go for me. But no more than Faulconer's music did.
Personally, I love the original Japanese score.

Orchestral music is a perfect fit for Dbz, it's epic and is incredibly effective at invoking emotions, I've never understood the pre-occupation some people have with for a fight to feel like it has any sort of impact, someone has to be thrashing a guitar.

I can understand why some people don't like it, it's more subdued than Faulconer's score most of the time, and yes, it is dated (@ J-Dude, the muffling is because the show was recorded in mono, and Funi's masters of the show have quite poor audio quality, if you compare Toei's remastered sets, it's still mono, but is far more crisp) but so is Dbz, it started it's first broadcast run in 1989, so of course the music is going to represent that point in time, which for me, is a great thing as in my opinion it carries so much more charm and emotional weight than electronic music ever could.

I found all the corresponding dub scenes except for one, these are some of my favorite scenes from the show.

*edit* I was going to talk about the American VA's vs the Japanese VA's, but this post is already longer than it should be*

Goku's 20x kamehameha against Freeza
(Japanese version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOpNFwKNu68
(English dub)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTtL63yqCFE&mode=related&search=

Gohan turning ssj for the first time (I couldn't find the dub version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Zoqdlvmi0

Gohan turning ssj2
(Japanese verison)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkksoQ435Iw&mode=related&search=
(English dub)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZUX5hzbcUw

I think Faulconer's music during the 20x kaioken was adequate, but the Ssj2 transformation was nothing short of horrible, It sounded like they used one of those boring ambient tracks during it, I don't understand, because Faulconer had some tracks that would have suited it so much better.

Now music aside (and this is probably pointed the most towards you J-Dude) the reason fans of the original don't care for the English dub (and aren't terribly excited about the movie) is because the English dub isn't a translation (and Funimation state this themselves) it's a "re-versioning", I see the two as completely different shows, I for one perfer Goku as a simple naive hick from the mountains, not the American super hero vibe Funimation went for, they are completely different characters to me, now I can completely understand why people like the English dub, it's in their native language, and has had the Japanese themes and influences, pretty much written out of it (not to mention the way some characters were interpreted)

Now you stated earlier that being a "purist" like it was a bad thing, but honestly no matter how much dub fans hoot and holler about "elitist fanboys" the fact of the matter is they are watching a interpretation of a translation, and considering how complicated Toei made things when they started the Anime, dub terms and rewrites just add a whole new level of confusion to me.

Anyway, I probably had a point, but I understand that was largely ramble.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally I like the English soundtrack way more, the music has far more power to it than the crappy Japanese circus-like music. Compare Gohan going ssj2 in Japanese and English. In English, it sounds like he is seriously powering up, something no one has done before. In Japanese, it sounds more like he is happily taking a walk in the park.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now you stated earlier that being a "purist" like it was a bad thing, but honestly no matter how much dub fans hoot and holler about "elitist fanboys" the fact of the matter is they are watching a interpretation of a translation, and considering how complicated Toei made things when they started the Anime, dub terms and rewrites just add a whole new level of confusion to me.
Heh, now that you put it that way, you're right. Heh, I kinda feel stupid right now. Yeah, I'm a purist. That aside, I'd like to present one piece of evidence that proves that the original DBZ wasn't just orchestrated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgOdKgOeKok

Now, I wouldn't mind at all if the music in the film was as it was in that clip. The voices weren't bad as well. Now here's just a little comparison for you dub-crazy fanboys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWcZY-sDL3A

Let me see you compare the voices, music, lines and anything else from that example, and say that anything is better in the second. Then I will hang myself for not being able to stand the stupidity. No offense.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally I like the English soundtrack way more, the music has far more power to it than the crappy Japanese circus-like music. Compare Gohan going ssj2 in Japanese and English. In English, it sounds like he is seriously powering up, something no one has done before. In Japanese, it sounds more like he is happily taking a walk in the park.
I would have to go half and half with the English and Japanese music. The English is good at times, (well at most times to be blunt), but the Japanese music has it's times. I'm not a fan of the instruments and the content of the JAP music but in some movies the JAP music seems more fitting. I haven't watching DBZ in Japanese, so I wouldn't know the differences in the anime, but only in movies, where they use some cliche' rock song at parts. Take the Lord Slug movie for example, where Goku turns into a Giji SSJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daieywhGRbA

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, now that you put it that way, you're right. Heh, I kinda feel stupid right now. Yeah, I'm a purist. That aside, I'd like to present one piece of evidence that proves that the original DBZ wasn't just orchestrated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-hHnDNbKOo&NR=1

Now, I wouldn't mind at all if the music in the film was as it was in that clip. The voices weren't bad as well. Now here's just a little comparison for you dub-crazy fanboys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWcZY-sDL3A

Let me see you compare the voices, music, lines and anything else from that example, and say that anything is better in the second. Then I will hang myself for not being able to stand the stupidity. No offense.
Uh...do you realize that first video is some Tenacious D mind trip, and proves nothing for your argument whatsoever? Do tell me you're joking...

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's a good Japanese version song for you guys:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vsF72A6uH9o

As for me in this debate, I like some songs from the Japanese version and some from the English version. Between the two, I prefer the English version. The Japanese soundtrack's weakness is that a good majority of the songs were too much like Dragon Ball's soundtrack. While I'm aware the Japanese version of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z share a lot of the same songs, the transition from comical, carefree, sometimes serious Dragon Ball differed from the more serious, action oriented Dragon Ball Z. So, what worked for Dragon Ball didn't always work for Dragon Ball Z.

Either way, chances are that either soundtrack is going to be used for this movie is extremely slim. Bruce Faulconer is no longer involved with Dragon Ball Z, and Japanese music isn't exactly the best choice for the English audience. Besides, there's not one film director that I've heard of that stays true to the original work for which their film is based off.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's a good Japanese version song for you guys:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vsF72A6uH9o

As for me in this debate, I like some songs from the Japanese version and some from the English version. Between the two, I prefer the English version. The Japanese soundtrack's weakness is that a good majority of the songs were too much like Dragon Ball's soundtrack. While I'm aware the Japanese version of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z share a lot of the same songs, the transition from comical, carefree, sometimes serious Dragon Ball differed from the more serious, action oriented Dragon Ball Z. So, what worked for Dragon Ball didn't always work for Dragon Ball Z.

Either way, chances are that either soundtrack is going to be used for this movie is extremely slim. Bruce Faulconer is no longer involved with Dragon Ball Z, and Japanese music isn't exactly the best choice for the English audience. Besides, there's not one film director that I've heard of that stays true to the original work for which their film is based off.
Hear hear, good man! And yes, that piece of music was much better than what I'm used to hearing from the original. Not bad at all.

Yeah, I'm sure a DBZ live-action movie soundtrack will be comprised of new music alltogether as well. Even I can't see Bruce's music being used for something non-cartoon.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
personally im more lookin' foward to Bad Robot... who's with me?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uh...do you realize that first video is some Tenacious D mind trip, and proves nothing for your argument whatsoever? Do tell me you're joking...
LOL! I was watching that clip while I was watching the one I put in now, the japanese version of the clip, got them mixed up apparently, sorry about that XD.

Well check out the right version now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgOdKgOeKok

It's also in my other post.

EDIT: Lol, I just noticed I used the same example MC did.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
They should make it with japanese actors and just add subtitles :p This will undeniably disapoint younger viewers .......well.......screw them XD

why is dbz character have to being performing by those bunch asian actors??? why would goku and vegeta have to be asian????????? that sicking me.

because the market in asia(china& japan) is bigger and greater than north america & europe?????????

no metter what would become this film is suck ass.

imagining goku and vegeta are been play by jacket chan and jet li..............(omfg....)

Best answers
why is dbz character have to being performing by those bunch asian actors??? why would goku and vegeta have to be asian????????? that sicking me.
Yes, because Dragonball Z is as American as Mom and apple pie.

The funny thing is, those "asian actors" in question probably have a greater grasp of the English language than you do.

You "sicking" me.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

because the market in asia(china& japan) is bigger and greater than north america & europe?????????

no metter what would become this film is suck ass.

imagining goku and vegeta are been play by jacket chan and jet li..............(omfg....)
Actually Chang and Lee would be a close match for Goku and Vegeta. Goku is in fact asian. Anime americans are drawn with a difrent face. All characters in DBZ are drawn as asian.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Actually Chang and Lee would be a close match for Goku and Vegeta. Goku is in fact asian. Anime americans are drawn with a difrent face. All characters in DBZ are drawn as asian.

but you know the most anime we watch are used to be look more like caucasian. (like bleach, naruto, zenki, slam dunk, gundom, trinity blood, hell teacher... etc..) that's how japanese does all the time(they like to draw people look more caucasianized). it would be weird look if you put some original asian face(especially chinese...) in the anime. which i highly suggest caucasian are the best choise from anime live action movie(most of fan will agree with me...even japanese them salve.....because for let chinese performing the movie.......just terrible..)

what do you know goku is an asian?? he is an alien who been adopted by an old asian man in childhood....and that doesnt mean he's is asian >< because we all know he's saiyan!! so is vegeta!! beside they can turn ssj it will make them look more weirdo if they are perform by chinese.....omg!!!

no more chinese ><

Best answers
but you know the most anime we watch are used to be look more like caucasian. (like bleach, naruto, zenki, slam dunk, gundom, trinity blood, hell teacher... etc..) that's how japanese does all the time(they like to draw people look more caucasianized). it would be weird look if you put some original asian face(especially chinese...) in the anime. which i highly suggest caucasian are the best choise from anime live action movie(most of fan will agree with me...even japanese them salve.....because for let chinese performing the movie.......just terrible..)

what do you know goku is an asian?? he is an alien who been adopted by an old asian man in childhood....and that doesnt mean he's is asian >< because we all know he's saiyan!! so is vegeta!! beside they can turn ssj it will make them look more weirdo if they are perform by chinese.....omg!!!

no more chinese ><
From that unholy post, I'm personally not sure if you're a white supremacist or just stupid.

There is no Japan in Dragonworld, however considering everybody (animals, aliens) speaks Japanese (not to mention all the Katakana and Kanji everywhere) , It's safe to assume that we're not talking about America.

In any case, Dragonball IS a Japanese show, thus the movie SHOULD be Japanese made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom