iPod vs mp3 player

Best answers
Well, I've read a bit about iPod on Wikipedia, and I gotta say it's not bad, but I'm still sticking to what I've said before. Not because iPod is bad, but because the price is just unreasonable. I think some are even $400 or more. Here you can get an MP3 Player for $30 with 512 MB of flash memory, which I think is more than enough for all your songs. If you want something to play videos, view pictures, even CALL, then get iPod. But if all you want is to listen to music, then MP3 Player is the way to go. It's just unreasonable that something like iPod is $400. It's even more crazy what they're doing with them. First, iPods were just for music. Then pictures. Then the ability to make phone calls. Then video support. The same thing is happening to mobile phones. I swear one day someone is going to make a mobile phone or iPod that's gonna fire laser beams and teleport us to the moon :\ .

You have different iPod models eh.. Shuffle 1GB ($79), Nano 2GB ($149) 4GB ($199) 8GB ($249) and Video 30GB ($249) 80GB ($349).
As you can see, there are cheaper iPods as well, but you won't get video on the Shuffle and Nano (photos on Nano though).

Also, the iPhone isn't part of the iPod series, the iPhone is a phone with MP3 player, not and MP3 player with a phone.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
8GB Nanos and 30GB Videos are the same price?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
512 mb isn't enough o_O.

I top out at a modest 3.4 gigs of music. I say modest because I know a lot of people who dl songs they've never heard and will probably never listen to just so they have 10,000 songs.
Well I have about 20 songs I listen to, so that memory is more than enough. Most of my songs are around 3 MB, so do the math, that's 60 MB roughly. 512 MB would then have the ability to store 170 of my songs. I used to have a 256 MB player, and I never got it full with songs. Not ever.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
product comparance:

Creative | Price .EUR
-Zen Vision M 60GB 459.79
-Zen Vision W 399.99
-Zen Vision M 303.99
-Zen V Plus 1GB 148.99, 2GB 182.77, 4GB 240.25, 4GB 240.25, 8GB 246.99
-Zen V 1GB 125.30, 2GB 159.78, 4GB 170.99
-Zen Nano Plus 1GB 90.21, 512MB 71.20

Apple
-iPod 30GB 289
-iPod 80GB 399
-iPod Nano 2GB 159,4GB 209, 8GB 259
-iPod Shuffle 1GB 89,00
-iPod Video 80GB 400

As you can see, the prices are very different, iPod seems to be somewhere cheaper and more expensive than Creative's Zen's.
I'd still go with Zen's because quality matters to me..

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think Zeonix meant, most people have more than 20 songs they listen to.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bolteh said:
And you might just think "Why doesn't Mac make OSX for PC then?".. Well, because the strength of OSX lays in the fact that Apple design OSX to work flawlessly with any Mac-hardware.. Macs use about 100% of their hardware.. While PCs hardly use 70-80% of the available hardware.. If Apple was to create an OSX for PC, it wouldn't run so fast as it does now + they would basicly have to rebuild OSX from scratch (since OSX for Macs actually use the hardware).
LOL *cough*
Firstly, it wasn't apple's idea to come up with bootcamp. when the intel macs started to go on sale hackers took it upon themselves to get XP running on it after some tinkering since you technically could at the time because the intel macs are x86 hardware. I wonder what that also means for apple, native OSX designed for x86 or either using emulation on some apps until they have a x86 version designed for OSX (or unix if you want to call it, since OSX is practically based off Unix). There's also a x86 version of OSX too.

And do I really need to say more on why I prefer a zen?. Portable hdd, so if I have to go repair someone's machine, I can just plug in my zen and install stuff off it. Plus not to mention the vision:m is not limited to a few media formats like the ipod is...

Best answers
Overlord, Optimus Prime said to stay on topic. Instead, you've chosen to continue a debate about OSX. Yes, Bolteh did aswell, but at least the majority of his post dealt with the topic at hand, instead of just throwing in a sentence to 'cover his tracks'.

Here's a warning

Bolteh, a friendly warning: just because you didn't get a warning this time since the bulk of your post was on-topic doesn't mean it'll fly every time. If a topic is said to be dropped, then drop it. Thanks =).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You have different iPod models eh.. Shuffle 1GB ($79), Nano 2GB ($149) 4GB ($199) 8GB ($249) and Video 30GB ($249) 80GB ($349).
As you can see, there are cheaper iPods as well, but you won't get video on the Shuffle and Nano (photos on Nano though).

Also, the iPhone isn't part of the iPod series, the iPhone is a phone with MP3 player, not and MP3 player with a phone.
Just let me point out something.

Notice how an 8 gb Nano costs the same as a 30Gb video. Assuming this is correct, $250 is reasonable for a mp3 player with decent battery life, video/photo capability, and a very sexy design. To have a Nano with nearly a 1/4 of the space and lacking video cost the same is ridiculous.

I personally have a 30 Gb iPod Video. Had it for 5 months, still doing great (video kills the battery power, 2 hours only it states). I have like 15 movies on there and 5 TV episodes, with 700 songs I think, and I have just gotten pass 6 GB. The headphones it comes with suck, but as an mp3 player, it does great.

Best answers
I agree that having an 8GB is rather silly since you can get an iPod Video 30Gb for the same price.. But I was just listing the different sorts of iPods and their prices, because most people seem to think that an iPod only comes in 1 flavour, the 80GB Video one.

And Overlord:
I use my iPod as portable HDD as well, I use it as backup HD (stores all of my mp3 files, workfiles, schoolfiles, important programs and drivers (so I don't need to download everything each time I format).. I also use it to exchange files from school (Mac) and my homecomputer (PC).. Works like a charm.. So I don't really get your point of that statement.

Also, it's not that an iPod can't play your avi movies at all.. You just need to convert them with Quicktime to get them to play on your iPod, but it's not that much trouble.. I'll agree, just dropping the .avi file on your player is a lot easier.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bolteh said:
And Overlord:
I use my iPod as portable HDD as well, I use it as backup HD (stores all of my mp3 files, workfiles, schoolfiles, important programs and drivers (so I don't need to download everything each time I format).. I also use it to exchange files from school (Mac) and my homecomputer (PC).. Works like a charm.. So I don't really get your point of that statement.
The main thing I am getting at is Itunes. I don't actually have to have it installed just to do my bidding in terms of using it as a portable hdd, where's with an Ipod you have to go through and configure it's use for a portable hdd.

I prefer using windows explorer for the most part, since it's pretty straight forward and simpel and I can do it out of the box without the need additional software (on the vision:m).

Best answers
I have iTunes on my homecomputer (duh), when I bought my iPod, I obviously installed iTunes (was using iTunes before I bought my iPod though), there I turned on the 'Use as HD".. That was 15 months ago, 1 click (well 2 if you count OK), and it's been working as HD ever since.. Even on computers that didn't have iTunes or the ipod-software..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have iTunes on my homecomputer (duh), when I bought my iPod, I obviously installed iTunes (was using iTunes before I bought my iPod though), there I turned on the 'Use as HD".. That was 15 months ago, 1 click (well 2 if you count OK), and it's been working as HD ever since.. Even on computers that didn't have iTunes or the ipod-software..
The thing is though I can already do that out of the box. Plus, I have more freedom with what I want to do with the product, take into account you have to set it for hd space (and note I am familiar with that), where I can do what I want with 100% of the storage available, so if whatever reason I have to make big changes to what's on there and as compared to having an Ipod, you set the amount of space via Itunes. If I'm in a public place on a computer for instance with no install permissions, I am pretty sunk since I can't install Ituens on that pc because I don't have user rights and I also need to change the amount of space I can use. If I use a zen, I can do what I want with 100% of my space, which is really peace of mind for me. Plus I can playback a wider range of formats then a Ipod, I can **** around with the voice recorder for a lot of different things and can also listen to radio.

Those are the advantages I can't stress enough. You can also fijnd reviews comparing the playback quality from each player, and the zen ends up beating most competing ipod products.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If your beloved zen:m is touch-pad based, I'll never go back to that type of interface after having a Zen Touch 20gb, and a Micro both lose touch functionality. Not forgetting my roommate, sister, and girlfriend's micros also losing touch functionality.

Touchpad is leagues inferior to Apple's click wheel.

Best answers
The thing is though I can already do that out of the box. Plus, I have more freedom with what I want to do with the product, take into account you have to set it for hd space (and note I am familiar with that), where I can do what I want with 100% of the storage available, so if whatever reason I have to make big changes to what's on there and as compared to having an Ipod, you set the amount of space via Itunes. If I'm in a public place on a computer for instance with no install permissions, I am pretty sunk since I can't install Ituens on that pc because I don't have user rights and I also need to change the amount of space I can use. If I use a zen, I can do what I want with 100% of my space, which is really peace of mind for me. Plus I can playback a wider range of formats then a Ipod, I can **** around with the voice recorder for a lot of different things and can also listen to radio.

Those are the advantages I can't stress enough. You can also fijnd reviews comparing the playback quality from each player, and the zen ends up beating most competing ipod products.
You have to set the amount of space your iPod can use? Wow, didn't know that, a person learns new things every days, even after 15 months.

In case you didn't notice with my previous comment, you don't have to set the space your ipod can use, making the rest of your post invalid.

Really, I respect other people's opinions, as long as the reasons are valid and not lies like 90% of the comments about the iPod in this thread. Ofcourse there is still personal taste and all, but don't go around handing out complaints about iPods when most of them aren't even valid. If you don't like the iPod because of the design, of the soundquality (can't really compare Zen with iPod atm since I don't have a Zen at hands now), because you just refuse to buy Apple-products, ok.. But don't go around saying that the battery fails, that it can't even play MP3 files, that you can't use it as HD, that you need iTunes for everything that has something to do with the iPod, etcetcetc..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If your beloved zen:m is touch-pad based, I'll never go back to that type of interface after having a Zen Touch 20gb, and a Micro both lose touch functionality. Not forgetting my roommate, sister, and girlfriend's micros also losing touch functionality.
All products can be DOA and break, there's a reason for having a warranty should your product break at some stage during the time the warranty lasts for.
You have to set the amount of space your iPod can use? Wow, didn't know that, a person learns new things every days, even after 15 months.
The other features alone of then zen are enough to make the Ipod look dim.
More playback support for popular formats > Ipod's playback support.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From CNET's Review of Zen Vision:M

Instead of integrating everything under one roof, as Apple has done with iTunes, Creative forces you to use four separate programs: ZenCast Manager, Media Explorer, MediaSource Organizer, and Sync Manager.
Wait, and why is the Zen easier than an iPod again?

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I love my 8gb Nano. Have had no issues with it at all.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait, and why is the Zen easier than an iPod again?
Have you, or do you own a vision:m?.

Short answer, no... And why should I trust reviews from people at cnet when you compare their reviews to a tech site's review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom