iPod vs mp3 player

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My girlfriend's been thinking of purchasing one and is having a hard time deciding. I know very little about either because I don't mind stuffing my portable CD Player into my pocket.

Anyways, what's the deal with both? I assume that iPods require iTunes while MP3 Players wouldn't require it. That and mp3 players can be made by different companies while iPods are all apple.

So educate this poor troglodyte if you will :(

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd get the Creative Vision:M. It does basically the same thing as the Ipod and is about the same size, it just costs a lot less.

Ipods are good, but why pay more for a brand name?

Best answers
Nah, IPOD pwns for sure. But there are lots of Mp3's that match it. The thing is, there are only a small variety of Ipods, but there are HEAPS of MP3's Consoles.

If you don't want to look around for a great mp3 playing console, just go for the IPOD. But if your looking for something REALLY good, you might want to look around for a good MP3 player.

-GuZzie

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm about to purchase myself a 60gb zen vision:m. If she can afford to get a 30gb model then that would be a good idea, or if she's just after a mp3 player and nothing else then you can take a look around here for a model that fits into her price range. I personally don't like Ipods nor do I like Itunes, and with a zen I can just plug it in and away I go, no need to sync crap with Itunes as I can make any changes through windows explorer.

You also get a FM tuner and a voice recorder, something an Ipod doesn't have. Reviews I have read also say that the playback quality from a zen is better then that of most competing Ipod models.
Nah, IPOD pwns
I can't believe you just said that...

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Overlord, besides the price, there's nothing wrong with an Ipod. Using Itunes is easy and the Ipod itself is great.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I don't know much about iPod but I know a bit, and from that I say MP3 Player is the best choice. It costs fairly less and is much more useful. You just plug it into USB and copy your MP3's. Why buy a song off iTunes that you already have? Sorry if something I posted is incorrect, i really don't know much about it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Overlord, besides the price, there's nothing wrong with an Ipod. Using Itunes is easy and the Ipod itself is great.
I don't like Itunes nor do I like Ipods, that's what I am stating. I'm not saying it's hard, though I end up having to configuring Ipods for my relatives that don't know how to do it, when it is quite simple to do.

What I am more referring to more then anything is product features, and that fact that I also have no need for extra apps just to transfer what I want onto the device as opposed to having to do that with a Ipod.
there's nothing wrong with an Ipod.
It's what I find wrong with the Ipod, the only reason people buy it is "OMFG LOOK IPOD I MUST HAVE" without thinking about another product's features in comparison. My friend has also had two 512mb Ipod shuffles die on him in the period of 6 months.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
]Sorry if something I posted is incorrect, i really don't know much about it.
Bingo.

Just because there is a music store in iTunes, doesn't mean you have to rebuy your music to put it on your iPod.

|Overlord| said:
the only reason people buy it is "OMFG LOOK IPOD I MUST HAVE" without thinking about another product's features in comparison.
I know that's why I bought one. I mean, the fact I've had a Zen Touch (which used a program similar to iTunes to transfer music), and a Micro die on me, and the fact that my girlfriend's, younger sister's, and roommate's Zen Micros all lost function to the touch pad had nothing to do with it. I really was just like, "OMG LOL IPOD DROOL FAP FAP FAP BRAND WHORE RHEEEEE KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE."

Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic.

-edit-

And furthermore. What about brand loyalty? People piss, moan, and argue about ATI vs Geforce, Sony vs. Microsoft vs. Nintendo all the time. Why would MP3/Media players be any different?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a reason it's popular Overlord...

With that being said, sorry your friend's ipod died, but honestly, of course more Ipods die... there are far more Ipods in circulation. The chances of you hearing about x mp3player dying is far lower since there are much fewer of them out there. It's not fair to use that as an arguement against the ipod.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yah, it's because people go, "OOH, SHINY, I'LL TAKE SEVEN."

There are also a lot of additions for iPods that are pretty cool if you're into that. I mean, there's nothing wrong with being able to convert your MP3 player into a stereo.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

With that being said, sorry your friend's ipod died, but honestly, of course more Ipods die... there are far more Ipods in circulation. The chances of you hearing about x mp3player dying is far lower since there are much fewer of them out there. It's not fair to use that as an arguement against the ipod.
LOL *cough* *cough* /me clears throat lol.

It's very fair, unless you caught my drift about Ipods lacking features that other competing companies that have products on the market do... I pitty you because you failed to notice that.
Optimus_Prime said:
mean, the fact I've had a Zen Touch (which used a program similar to iTunes to transfer music)
The fact that I can go get a vision:m and it's the true meaning plug and play, not requring any software for me to put stuff on it, so I can just shove it in a pc and walla, browse through my files and make changer through windows explorer. The software that ships with the vision:m currently are converters, even though they also include software for transfers and conversion, I would myself make to much use of them, with no use with the transfer software at all for me.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I forgot that iTunes was the end of the world.

These days, it seems that iPod bashing is just as much a "trend" as people claim owning one is.

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
LOL *cough* *cough* /me clears throat lol.

It's very fair, unless you caught my drift about Ipods lacking features that other competing companies that have products on the market do... I pitty you because you failed to notice that.

The fact that I can go get a vision:m and it's the true meaning plug and play, not requring any software for me to put stuff on it, so I can just shove it in a pc and walla, browser through my files and make changer through windows explorer. The software that ships with the vision:m currently are converters, even though they also include software for transfers and conversion, I would myself make to much use of them, with no use with the transfer software at all for me.
Bwhahah with that 65 gs i suggest taking a few language courses.

I've had 8 different mp3 players and I've enjoyed my ipod the best it's lasted me the longest and i love the fact i don't need batteries for it.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Overlord I don't know what you're referring to with regards to features lacking in Ipods... they come with everything but a radio so far as I can tell, and the next generation will have them simply because the Zune has one. I work in electronics retail and I've owned a number of MP3 players, and none of them has felt nearly as polished or looked as sharp as an Ipod, nor have they had a comparable number of accessories to compliment them. Ipod is polish, not just a name brand... it's refinement, and you can feel it whenever you touch one. No sense in bashing a brand just for the sake of 'going against the grain,' God knows I used to, but the name is popular for a reason. People who bought Ipods two and three years ago are buying the new ones now because they're happy with them.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[S];827209 said:
Bwhahah with that 65 gs i suggest taking a few language courses.
It's entirely up to me what I do with my cash, doing language courses is not a need for me, I see no need for me to take language courses. What you think of me doing with my cash is irelvant, after all, I have the cash, you don't, simple as that, so therefore you can do what you want with cash if you have a big sum of it since you are in control of it. With 40 cents I suggest you buy a lolly pop...

Oh, and it's funny how someone with more money then you have can stick it to you for bagging on their language skills =/.
[S];827209 said:
I've had 8 different mp3 players and I've enjoyed my ipod the best it's lasted me the longest and i love the fact i don't need batteries for it.
You are aware that an Ipod is not the only player in the world that has a battery you can charge up, right?.....

And before anyone jumps on the accessories debate for ipods, as you can see here there are plenty of accessories available for the zen too (but some not limited to use with the zen of course).
Overlord I don't know what you're referring to with regards to features lacking in Ipods... they come with everything but a radio so far as I can tell, and the next generation will have them simply because the Zune has one. I work in electronics retail and I've owned a number of MP3 players, and none of them has felt nearly as polished or looked as sharp as an Ipod, nor have they had a comparable number of accessories to compliment them. Ipod is polish, not just a name brand... it's refinement, and you can feel it whenever you touch one. No sense in bashing a brand just for the sake of 'going against the grain,' God knows I used to, but the name is popular for a reason. People who bought Ipods two and three years ago are buying the new ones now because they're happy with them.
I have disliking for Itunes, as I can just simply plug a vision:m into any pc without having to go through and install Itunes. I can use Windows explorer to easily copy files to and from the vision:m too. Plus, I also have a radio tuner and a voice recorder, so if I get bored with the music or videos on my vision:m, I can listen to the radio or **** around with the voice recorder.

The iPeople worship their iGod, leader of the iReligion. They go to the iChurch to worship their iGod, and play iSpy for people in the crowd without a iPod & convince them to join the iReligion. The only question you have to ask yourself is, are you an iFollower?.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Money one hasn't earned is hardly money worth bragging about now is it?

With that said, owning an iPod is a far cry from being in a cult. Let's not try to over-exaggerate now shall we?

Oh, and Overlord, I think by language lessons, was referring to the fact that walla isn't a word, I believe voila is the word you were looking for.

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It's entirely up to me what I do with my cash, doing language courses is not a need for me, I see no need for me to take language courses. What you think of me doing with my cash is irelvant, after all, I have the cash, you don't, simple as that, so therefore you can do what you want with cash if you have a big sum of it since you are in control of it. With 40 cents I suggest you buy a lolly pop...

Oh, and it's funny how someone with more money then you have can stick it to you for bagging on their language skills =/.
Dude after the language courses go to charm school if you bother reading what i wrote and not just sounding the words out you might understand at the whole bolded part. Maybe even swimming lessons.? Oh my uncle has no kids and loves me off so about a week ago he deposited $100 000 U.S in my bank account and my sisters.
Guess that puts us on the same boat except my currency is actually worth something?

I never felt the need to go around bragging about some inheritance i got on a dragonball z message board seems sorta stupid and i'm pretty sure no one needs to know.

You are aware that an Ipod is not the only player in the world that has a battery you can charge up, right?.....

And before anyone jumps on the accessories debate for ipods, as you can see here there are plenty of accessories available for the zen too (but some not limited to use with the zen of course).

I have disliking for Itunes, as I can just simply plug a vision:m into any pc without having to go through and install Itunes. I can use Windows explorer to easily copy files to and from the vision:m too. Plus, I also have a radio tuner and a voice recorder, so if I get bored with the music or videos on my vision:m, I can listen to the radio or **** around with the voice recorder.

The iPeople worship their iGod, leader of the iReligion. They go to the iChurch to worship their iGod, and play iSpy for people in the crowd without a iPod & convince them to join the iReligion. The only question you have to ask yourself is, are you an iFollower?.
Yes but see i enjoy having itunes it has nothing to do with following a crowd I had my ipod video long before anyone i know. I like Itunes because it has a good search function i have all my songs in my library and all my separate play lists since i have over 12 gigs of music. I find Itunes easier to put songs on my ipod then copy pasting songs from windows.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[S said:
]Yes but see i enjoy having itunes it has nothing to do with following a crowd I had my ipod video long before anyone i know. I like Itunes because it has a good search function i have all my songs in my library and all my separate play lists since i have over 12 gigs of music. I find Itunes easier to put songs on my ipod then copy pasting songs from windows.
Heh, the exact opposite to what you are saying is easier. I can use Itunes fine, however I have grown a lot more accustom to doing the way I do things.

Think about this, what if I go to a public computer which has install permissions denied on their pcs. I could plug my vision:m into that pc and I can to and from what I want within reason. It removes the need for me to install Itunes, because for one I don't have the user rights to do so and 2 I didn't need to install any software to use it in the first place other then waiting for windows to say your hardware is ready for use.
[S said:
]Dude after the language courses go to charm school if you bother reading what i wrote and not just sounding the words out you might understand at the whole bolded part.
Dude how about not carrying on with such lame comments?. You're taking it a bit far...

Oh, and incase you have bothered to read my posts, I guess I have stated enough information to stand where I am with my thoughts. Oh, you also forgot to place a quote tag in the above post.
Missing tag from S's post said:

I don't see how I need language reasons now when I can correct and improve in the area you seem to think I may lack...
No one is without their faults =/.

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Heh, the exact opposite to what you are saying is easier. I can use Itunes fine, however I have grown a lot more accustom to doing the way I do things.

Think about this, what if I go to a public computer which has install permissions denied on their pcs. I could plug my vision:m into that pc and I can to and from what I want within reason. It removes the need for me to install Itunes, because for one I don't have the user rights to do so and 2 I didn't need to install any software to use it in the first place other then waiting for windows to say your hardware is ready for use.
Yeah because i have this random urge to walk into internet cafes and plug my ipod into it. There is nothing i see there that justifies what i said. If i wanted to listen to some of my older music and i remember the name of the song i go to the folder and try and find it and i'll find it 20 minutes later because it's named "(03)-name" or something to that extent while in itunes i type the name and it'll pop right up.
Dude how about not carrying on with such lame comments?. You're taking it a bit far...
You still don't understand what i was talking about so how would you know how far i've taken it. And i fixed my tag post before you edited yours. Now Optimus has guided you to why you need language courses i'll take my leave i need to get up early tomorrow and go to the bank.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[S];827227 said:
Yeah because i have this random urge to walk into internet cafes and plug my ipod into it. There is nothing i see there that justifies what i said. If i wanted to listen to some of my older music and i remember the name of the song i go to the folder and try and find it and i'll find it 20 minutes later because it's named "(03)-name" or something to that extent while in itunes i type the name and it'll pop right up.
The funny thing is I am talking about file use in general, not just music/video viewing alone... Remember, for the time being until the check clears in a few weeks I am still stuck on dial up.
You still don't understand what i was talking about so how would you know how far i've taken it.
I don't think you'll need to make me understand... Nor do I have a need to understand, because I already do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom