Interesting news about the PS3 controller capabilities...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was reading up on some recent PS3 info and found out that the controller has actually been retooled to give PS3 users the best of both worlds. It comes with a rechargeable pack and cable that can be hooked up to the machine and charged, similar to the Xbox360's battery pack, except it's free. And I also read that it's "tilt sensing" is actually not so limited after all; it's only that one game that reads "tilt" motions; the controller itself is actually supposed to be able to do everything the Wii's motion sensor can.

Looks like Sony's controller is going to probably eliminate the Wii controller's exclusivity. That could change the shape of things down the road pretty vastly, if you think about it.

(Alright, cue *****ing about how Sony "steals" things, and I'll hope for a legitimate response mixed in there somewhere).

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WTF PRIDE SONY STOLE THE ENTIRE CONTROLLER GG SONY LOLOLOLOl

Anyway, I was reading some reviews of the PS3 controller and people are actually *****ing about it being light. In my opinion, the PS2 controller (which is essentially the PS3 controller) is perfect for playing games. I wish it were a bit larger, but its about as good as it gets. The 360 controller is actually pretty spiffy too, but I still like the first xbox controller's size.

I really want to try out some flying games using the controller. Lair comes to mind as does Warhawk (which it turns out isn't a flying game;there are a lot of ground battles).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I read that the "weight" problem was fixed too; I just didn't know what they were talking about so I didn't mention it. But I guess now I know.

I don't know if any titles are really going to use the full scope of the controller's motion sensing at launch. It is a tough blow to Wii, though: potential 3rd party developers will surely want to move to the PS3 for it's power for bigger titles.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the controller is a great idea, but I think the consumer's perception of it might influence developers into holding off; for awhile at least. Most people view it as a sorry attempt to mimic Nintendo. I view it as a great way to implement something people want while maintaining what already made the Playstation great. The best of both worlds, if you will.

Best answers
Where exactly, did you read this Pride ?; As far as I know, it's strictly gyroscopic. In other words, it's not a full motion, SIXAXIS. The battery is likely internal in the SIXAXIS and it recarges simply by plugging into a USB port on the PS3. If I remember correctly, it was talked about way back at E3 05. Im not sure what has changed since then though.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I also recall hearing about recharging the controller through USB's 2 milliamp connection, though I haven't heard anything new about the tilt. I did hear when they demonstrated warhawk, that the tilt was software limited to only a few degrees. I also heard that the motion sensing is no where near that of the Wii in terms of freedom of movement. Further, the Wii points like a wand, or can be gripped like a weapon handle, I see the PS3's controller being quite limited in that respect, but I'm shure that a ported game will be possible.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I read this in a recent GameInformer, it was a response to a letter I believe.

They aren't certain it will be exactly the same capability, but they mentioned specifically that it is capable of recognizing movement "along the X, Y, and Z axis."

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In other words, SIXAXIS. I actually prefer not having any motion support, but I guess it'll be fun for a bit.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll believe the thing has more than tilt sensors when I see it.

I doubt it would really work well though. The Wiimote was specifically designed for it, but the Playstation controller hasn't changed much for the PS3.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm pretty sure the controller will work just fine. Sure, the PS3 wasnt designed around the controller the way the Wii was, but it'll definately make controlling aerial vehicles a lot more interesting, especially since you can invert up and down. It'll be pretty much like using a joystick, minus the stick.

Best answers
Man, i prefer my normal upside-down position on my sofa when i play...
These kind of controllers make it impossible, when you have to wave and rotate the controller when you play a game. I hope there is possibility to turn off these functions in the games that use it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The PS3 controller is the PS2 controller. You can't like one and hate the other. Just doesn't make sense to me.

"Feels cheap"
"Feels plasticky"
"Feels disconcertedly light" <---major wtf.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Though I am a bit iff with the motion sensing, I agree that there is not really anything to complain about if you liked PS2's controller (loved em, but the analog stick-caps came off after Tenkaichi 1 =/). Lighter=better/sleeker, what's wrong with that?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Supposedly, it's lighter to the point that it feels cheap and breakable, which isn't good. If what Pride posted was true though, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now, is it actually that cheap or does it just feel that way?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's kind of retarded they took out the Rumble though.

I think it does add to games that have rumble features, so I'm sad to see it go in favor of a gimmicky addition to the standard controller.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Which is why it'll make a comeback in later controllers. The 1st party controllers with rumble might even come out before the 3rd party's, but I dare not dream nor hope of such things.

Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
I think it's kind of retarded they took out the Rumble though.

I think it does add to games that have rumble features, so I'm sad to see it go in favor of a gimmicky addition to the standard controller.
I didn't like the rumble that much when it still worked in my PS2 controller. Nothing was more annoying than playing FFX with rumbles on (every summon caused heavy non-stop vibration for a minute). Only games it really fitted into was driving games.
But im glad it was easy to take off from the options from almost every game.
But i'm gonna borrow one of IGN reader comments.
Just like every other system released, people will get used to it if they end up buying it.

Best answers
Zeonix said:
WTF PRIDE SONY STOLE THE ENTIRE CONTROLLER GG SONY LOLOLOLOl

Anyway, I was reading some reviews of the PS3 controller and people are actually *****ing about it being light. In my opinion, the PS2 controller (which is essentially the PS3 controller) is perfect for playing games. I wish it were a bit larger, but its about as good as it gets. The 360 controller is actually pretty spiffy too, but I still like the first xbox controller's size.

I really want to try out some flying games using the controller. Lair comes to mind as does Warhawk (which it turns out isn't a flying game;there are a lot of ground battles).
Except for the fact that the dualshock is cheaply made. I could break the thing in half just from twisting it... And yea, I did that for no reason for the hell of it once when I got a anasin wireless version, imho superior. I then proceded to rip out the cord, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom