Intelligent Falling

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm........Not even going to read what this is all about, because frankly, I just know it'll piss me off, and I'd rather retain my pleasant mood right now...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're missing the whole point of it. But sure, I guess ignorance is bliss.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
John Adams, I don't want any more PMs in my inbox asking why they were warned by you. I am asking you to stop with the fake warnings.

Also, IF is absolutely absurd as a parody. Attacking a theory, and attacking a law are two different things.

Origin, you see this as funny ha ha, we see this as an obvious joke at our expense. I'm not even sold on evolution being 100% wrong, and I found the story to be offensive. Its people who think they know a truth (one that cannot be proven in a person's life time) absolutely mocking people who challenge the notion that Evolution is 100% correct as stated. That being said, I think he got the point of the joke better than you did.

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
John Adams, I don't want any more PMs in my inbox asking why they were warned by you.
No problem boss. I'll just tell anyone whom I warn that PMing you will result in an immediate ban.

The Onion makes fun of everything, take no offense.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Onion is a satire website.

I feel sorry for anyone who thought this article was trying to engage in intelligent discourse.

Best answers
i like how if you dont find something funny, its obviously because it went over your head or its too highbrow, and not because you simply didn't find it funny. The Onion is just fake news lol. It doesn't interest me. I'm not saying its ****ty, im just saying its not my taste.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sorry that I have to do this, but warning:warning: to Zeo for threatening ssj_paul. Granted, when Paul reads that, he might not realize that you were threatening him, warning to you nonetheless.
I obviously realized that when i read his post!

Isn't it pretty much well known over the internet now that the Onion is satire?
Now it is;
I had no contact with that website before.

The Onion is a satire website.

I feel sorry for anyone who thought this article was trying to engage in intelligent discourse.
Once again, now i know that!

Best answers
John Adams, I don't want any more PMs in my inbox asking why they were warned by you. I am asking you to stop with the fake warnings.

Also, IF is absolutely absurd as a parody. Attacking a theory, and attacking a law are two different things.
Gravity is not a law. Newton's theory of gravitation is a scientific theory. There are holes in this theory, and the ones mentioned in the article (like, no one really knows what gravity is caused by, gravity doesn't mix with quantum physics) are perfectly valid. The same might be said for Darwin's theory of evolution (I dunno, I'm no biologist). ID tries to cover those holes by claiming that God did it. IF does the same for gravity. So I find it a very well set up parody.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i like how if you dont find something funny, its obviously because it went over your head or its too highbrow, and not because you simply didn't find it funny. The Onion is just fake news lol. It doesn't interest me. I'm not saying its ****ty, im just saying its not my taste.
There's a huge difference between not finding it funny and thinking it's real.

Best answers
the first 3 posts were of people saying they just weren't interested in the topic once they started to read the article, then someone said it was because the onion is too high brow. I'm just saying maybe they just weren't interested in it. Just because they don't wanna read something about God, Religion, or Christians trying to explain how their religion fits into the world; doesn't necessarily mean its too highbrow.

As for the people who did believe it.....Yeah, they're dumb lol

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First post was prefaced with, "No offense to religious people", and the third post was simply, "I closed it when I saw the words 'Evangelical Scientist'". Reread their posts if you need to, because it had nothing to do with them finding the satire uninteresting.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gravity is not a law. Newton's theory of gravitation is a scientific theory. There are holes in this theory, and the ones mentioned in the article (like, no one really knows what gravity is caused by, gravity doesn't mix with quantum physics) are perfectly valid. The same might be said for Darwin's theory of evolution (I dunno, I'm no biologist). ID tries to cover those holes by claiming that God did it. IF does the same for gravity. So I find it a very well set up parody.
Macro Evolution is not observable, Gravitation is. That's why I don't like the comparison.

Micro Evolution and Natural Selection are observable, but macro evolotion, if it happens, happens at such a slow pace none of us will ever observe it in action.

If you fall off of your chair right now, you will observe gravitation. The point is, Gravitation is a whole lot more stable and provable than evolution.

I take no offense to the parody, I am simply pointing out how J-Dude could be. I am also well aware of the Onion's status quo.

Sub, I'm not joking, no more counterfit warnings.

Best answers
Macro Evolution is not observable, Gravitation is. That's why I don't like the comparison.

Micro Evolution and Natural Selection are observable, but macro evolotion, if it happens, happens at such a slow pace none of us will ever observe it in action.
Gravitation in black holes is quite hard to observe. As for viewing macro evolution, this might be the closest we can get: http://www.archive.org/details/sims_evolved_virtual_creatures_1994. I know, no proof, still impressive :)

If you fall off of your chair right now, you will observe gravitation. The point is, Gravitation is a whole lot more stable and provable than evolution.
That only applies on our planet. And it still doesn't tell us what actually causes gravitation, just that it's there.

Anyways, I'm not against pointing out potential weaknesses in scientific theories, just against the 'so God did it'-conclusion if we find any.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as I understand it, microevolution and macroevolution differ only in time and scale. It's kind of silly to say one exists but the other doesn't when there is very little distinction between the two.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub, I'm not joking, no more counterfit warnings.
I know, I've stopped. I was kidding about the "You're banned if you PM Cuc" thing.

As for the evolution vs gravity, I do feel that both theories have their holes in them, but the theory of gravity is respected where as evolution isn't because of evolutions implications with religion. I understand that this may not be the reason you don't subscribe to evolution, but I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who dislike it for that very reason.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know, I've stopped. I was kidding about the "You're banned if you PM Cuc" thing.

As for the evolution vs gravity, I do feel that both theories have their holes in them, but the theory of gravity is respected where as evolution isn't because of evolutions implications with religion. I understand that this may not be the reason you don't subscribe to evolution, but I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who dislike it for that very reason.
The thing about that is the Catholic Church has accepted evolution, and considers it to be an extension of God because they don't believe the Bible should be taken literally. It's hardcore creationists who take issue with evolution because they're going by the Old Testament, and believe it means exactly what it says. Jews don't take the Old Testament literally, so it's strange to me that a Christian denomination would.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I suppose that to them, the Jews were wrong about Jesus so they can be wrong about whether or not the OT should be taken literally.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I suppose that to them, the Jews were wrong about Jesus so they can be wrong about whether or not the OT should be taken literally.
So wrong about taking it literally, but right about everything within the OT? I doubt even they subscribe to that kind of logic.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Hah, it's even funnier the second time you read it. Seriously, how you not find this funny is beyond me. I lol'd so hard when I saw "there is only one force; and his name is Jesus"

Seriously, that **** is hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom