[Old PotW] In the meantime last updated 5/13/15

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Well since there is no official POTW posted yet i thought i'd drop some pics here.
Those shots(i know not enough clouds for rain) are heavy wip test of a wet surface effect on players and the map.
And yep i know the players still look a bit like plastic, but that's up to the artists(lacking proper specular and gloss maps, so i have to work with hardcoded values) :D

esf_cell_games0005.jpg

esf_cell_games0016.jpg

Oh and to all those who say "Why u no post gameplay pics ?!", simple i might never post them because i work allmost only on the graphics engine of ESF and stuff like environment system, nothing gameplay related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Discord Member
Best answers
W-What's with all this shine? It makes it look like you've glossed and varnished the entire game. Obviously it's meant to be the suns rays hitting the terrain ~ but irl the sun doesn't highlight mountains so much so that they appear white in areas.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
The rain is looking good Ryokeen. It's not too busy if you know what I mean.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
As i said i don't have proper specular/gloss maps, so for the wet effect i just boosted the whole map in specular values. Like wetspecular = speculartexture*1.25 buut the map doesn't even have specular textures on mountains and stuff so i use a grey texture as a placeholder...sadly..so you're right mountains got too much specular light on them but meh i'm no artist
About the rain...that's just quater strenght :D we can go from just a few drops to well "Noah do we have all animals ?"

Last edited:
Data Technician
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Very nice pictures! Look great as usual :)

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
It looks wet enough and even the pavement looks slippery.Great job ^^.
In the frieza pic there seems to be some dust behind him, what is it?

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
That's daltes "Every map is got dust on the ground" FX :D i would have turned it off when it's raining but i couldn't find the name of the FX system :D

Some more shots...from 0% rain, to 25%,50%,75% and 100%

esf_cell_games0003.jpg
esf_cell_games0004.jpg
esf_cell_games0005.jpg
esf_cell_games0006.jpg
esf_cell_games0007.jpg

the brightness comes from the fact that the rain reflects and is lit by the sunlight, need to fine tune that

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
yeah the others are fine but the last one might be a little too much xD.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
omfg this is why i loved your updates at final power so much -.-"
The stuff you post is just epic :F

btw if you can change the color of that dust to gray to make it look like steam from the heat from the ground it might just work.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
I would like to but , can't find the system in daltes xml universe :D and there can't be tooo much rain...rain RAAAAIIINNN...maybe some sharks in the map hmmm..

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I would like to but , can't find the system in daltes xml universe :D and there can't be tooo much rain...rain RAAAAIIINNN...maybe some sharks in the map hmmm..
Well there can be too much rain, if there are lots of people on the map and too many rain drops that combined tank the framerate. It's at that point that I would go, ok seriously, I can understand the dramatic effect of a heavy rain fall, but this does not need to be a freaking monsoon. Maybe tone down on some of the raindrops keep falling on my head part, ok?

If the framerate is fine, It can be a cyclone for all I care :p.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well there can be too much rain, if there are lots of people on the map and too many rain drops that combined tank the framerate. It's at that point that I would go, ok seriously, I can understand the dramatic effect of a heavy rain fall, but this does not need to be a freaking monsoon. Maybe tone down on some of the raindrops keep falling on my head part, ok?

If the framerate 'tis fine. It can be a cyclone for all I care :p.
Rain doesnt affect framerate.

Also Ryo i demand you put a Sharknado effect in to the game :p

J/K ill look for the effect system dalte has for dust when i get home. Ill get back to you on that XD

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Rain does affect the FPS a bit, but not noticeable on a gtx480 and above. I have an gtx660(pretty old by now) and without rain i have 80fps in cell_games and with rain i have 70-75fps with at the full rain density screen around half a million raindrops :D also there will be some quality options wich cuts down the amount of particles used. That said don't worry we won't use such a dense rain ingame because yeah it blocks the sight a bit.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is pretty awesome. Freeza is still a few cm/inches above the ground in the first pic.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks good, silly question but are the rim shaders back on the characters now? Looks like they're being used on Frieza in the first pic. Or were they never removed in the first place and I'm just bad at noticing them?

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I know you've said something about Frieza's feet is not touching the ground but maybe you guys should lower him to the ground a little bit if he's not on flight mode?

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Rim-lighting is still there it just got properly impemented, means it's dependant of view direction and light direction. Also it's nowhere as strong as it was. I'll do some comparison shots tomorrow and you'll see the rim lighting.
Yep most player-models atm don't touch the ground, DT computer somehow can't run ESF(we think it's just broken, his computer not ESF :D) so he can't test it ingame. But it's rly just something wich can be fixed as a last step so don't worry aobut that.

Grega...sharknado or tornado ? because i wanted to try out a tornado particle system , just for the fun of it :D just need to figure out how to build up the fluid vector field

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom