i get crashes and nasty errors. what to do? help topic

Best answers
i made this topic cause alot of people got weird crashes (i had weird crashes which prevented me from playing esf for months) and i want to help. :note: all things with a number and a * infront of the Q(uestion) and A(nswer) are new and will stick that way for a day or maybe 2.:

1. i got d3d video mode and i get kicked out of the game after a while without any error message, what to do?
A. if you have a good video card and you got software with it. try to lower your performance for a better 3d acceleration. this will stabilize it a bit so you will either: wont get kicked out again, or you can continue playing without getting kicked out after all.

2. i use software mode and get kicked when loading an attack, what to do?
A. change your mode in the options- video- video mode, either to openGL or d3d, software mode isn't good enough for ESF, it needs openGL mode or d3d

3. i use openGL mode, when i try to join a server or when i host one it gets stuck while loading the screen and boots me out with an error, what to do?
A. just likewith the d3d, try to adjust your videocard settings (lowering clocking time etc, dont change your options in half-life because it wouldn't probally help anyway), if you already have your clocking time etc on lowest, try to disable your openGL future which will speed up your 3d acceleration.

*4. i downloaded ESF b1.1 and tried to install, but it gets stuck at looking for previous components, what to do?
*A. wait with trying to kick it back alive. just let it do its job, loading that is. itll take a while (dont get desperate and quit the installer) before you can install.

*5. i downloaded ESF b1.1 and when i want to install it gives me the corrupted file error, what to do?
*A. download ESF b1.1 from a different host and try again.

i hope these things will help some problems regarding crashes.

if they dont help at all or you didnt get any software for your videocard:

try reinstalling/reupdating your HL and/or reinstalling ESF
or if you're desperate enough your windows (which would probally be stupid to do if its not your windows/ vidcard detonator:) )

feel free to reply ofcourse;)

more will be added soon (if its not getting deleted/forgotten o_o )

Best answers
I get a different error.

After i installed ESF (in the STEAM dirrectory wich it does automaticly) and try to run it i get the error, Steam.dll not found, and after that a verry weird error that my HL LAUNCHER has crashed (but it hasn't even been opened) how is this possible,
and how to get rid of these errors?!

Best answers
Originally posted by TheMe
I get a different error.

After i installed ESF (in the STEAM dirrectory wich it does automaticly) and try to run it i get the error, Steam.dll not found, and after that a verry weird error that my HL LAUNCHER has crashed (but it hasn't even been opened) how is this possible,
1. steam.dll is not suppose to be in your esf directory in the 1st place.
2. it auto-installs in a diff directory? copy/pasty to your /half-life/ directory and try again. your hl launcher has crashed after the steam.dll error? i think that's because it couldnt run without this socalled file, thats why it brought you back to desktop (atleast i think after i read your post) and shows you the error cause of the file.

if it keeps asking for steam.dll, reinstall your hl, reupdate and reinstall esf. if that doesnt work then i have no idea tbh;x

Best answers
hopefully alot of people with errors and crashes read this.
if any1 found new things to fix the errors/crashes, just pm me and ill add it to the Q(uestions) and A(nswers) list.

i really hope this topic will help people

Best answers
do you think all i need is an updated driver for my banshee to run in opengl or at the most 3dfx mini driver? if it is possible could you find me an XP Driver, and link it here? thnx any help would be godly.. (note: all 3dfx drivers for XP are 3rd Party)

Best answers
nvidia drivers doesnt have a socalled windows logo. some drivers suck and ruin your pc totally, like my little brother's gf4 ti 4200 128. he had to reformat his pc 3 times cause of 1 louzy driver.
i dont trust drivers tbh.
but ill see if i can do anything for you regarding drivers.
but i doubt it has anything to do with your drivers

*EDIT* found a driver for a elenox 3dfx voodoo Banshee 16mb card. OS is Windows 98SE, they claims that its working with other OS versions too (like windows XP) its from the 13th of june 2002. you can get it here:
http://www.video-drivers.com/drivers/59/59489.htm

Best answers
Hey, I am having a major problem when I play ESF. I get going in a match and during the match I will get short 1-2 second beeps from my system board. Then a little later I will get a 4-5 second one and my comp will resart. No error message or anything. I find it very odd since ESF is the only game where this happens.

Best answers
well are you using XP by any chance?, oh btw the driver that you found on driver guide doesnt work... but anyways... (yes i am a member of the site)

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by TheMe
I get a different error.

If you have a program called Steam, you may have to uninstall it before using ESF, apparently, they are incompatable.

After uninstalling Steam, you may have to reinstall everything else... only do this as a last resort tho.

wait never mind, I remember helping you out in the chat. in any case, anybody with steam.dll problems can read this.

Best answers
Originally posted by PanzerFox
Hey, I am having a major problem when I play ESF. I get going in a match and during the match I will get short 1-2 second beeps from my system board. Then a little later I will get a 4-5 second one and my comp will resart. No error message or anything. I find it very odd since ESF is the only game where this happens.
whats your pc specs? and how warm is your pc when it restarts after the 4-5 seconds?

Best answers
Originally posted by TTSS
whats your pc specs? and how warm is your pc when it restarts after the 4-5 seconds?
I found out what the problem is, it is the sound card:rolleyes:
I replaced my SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer with my old SB PCI card and the chraches stop. I have no idea why it is doing this. I did every thing I know, hell, I even checked to make sure the sound card was getting the correct voltage from the power supply. Any suggestions?

I may contact Creative but I hear their support is very bad.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Probably not the right thread fot this
anyway - I have no checkbox to undo it(and dont try to guide me to it cause I just dont)
My HL_ESF keeps being in windowed mode!
first I thought it was cool but I prefer full screen for a better preformence or whatever
so I looked out for that windowed mode on\off check box thing and it was gone
so I asked for help in here a long time ago and when nobody had an answer to help me then they just didnot responded to my thread.
so I am asking now if anybody has an idea for the "fullscreen_console_command"
I think that this should help me a lot

Best answers
He dude i get this error but your help confused me.
When i start the game and create it goes into consol, and then after loading it just kicks me out for no reason or no error. Whats up with that.
My specs are
Intel Celeron 1.4
320 megs ram
intel graphics chipset on board, with latest drivers and 32 megs
intel sound onboard.
any clue, but one things annoys me i tried all 3 video modes they give me different errors or just crash to desk top.

Best answers
you got win XP?
if you downloaded wrong software in the past it might be that your win XP if screwed up (like on my own pc lol, thats why i play esf on my dad's pc)
if you got a diff windows then i dunno how to fix it tbh.
try adjusting video mode settings like size etc within your HL.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I didnot understand , was that end of the post a help for me?
what should I do to fullcreen it up?

Best answers
no that was ment for cell1, try configuration- video options, and try to change it by sliding screensize to the right (if you havent already) else i dunno how;x

Best answers
Hi
No i found out what is happening i hope. When i downloaded esf, it downloaded it without the executive files (exe) like the esf.exe file, it came with a shortcut but not an executive because it didn't download that file or where i got it from didn't put it, cause you c my esf it is running on the half life.exe but it won't load because there is nothing to load the exe file is not there, How do i know is because i tried it on my friends it still did it, i tried it on my mothers comp with win 98 also did it and my friend has win 2000, so the exe file is gone so could i plz ask you if the game did come with a exe file not the shortcut that you get on desktop there must be a exe file in the main folder. If it is there plz can you kindly send me the exe file, if you can i will give you my e-mail address, plz thanx i really don't wanna download it again.

Best answers
sending is same as downloading, only downloading goes faster. i suggest you redownload it, and i advice you to pick fileplanet. you may need to wait a while before it starts (cause of people that want it) but its worth the wait.

Best answers
ya i am re-downloading it but from an internet cafe since they have faster modems but thanx anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom