half life 2 model compiling

Best answers
I know eventually someone will come to these forums, and will start to ask questions about hl2 models and all that fun stuff, so I decided to make a tut.

This tut will teach you how to compile a prop to be used in maps. Making player models will probably be the same, except you have to include the sequences in the .qc.

Requirements
_ _ _ _ _

-3ds max any version above 4 would be nice
-3ds max smd exporter
-Bones pro 3, or character studio( I recommend getting bones pro 3 since the exporter doesnt support character studio when it has more then one joint per verticy as oppose to bones pro 3)
-a model that's ready to be compiled
-photoshop
-the sdk

Anyhow first things first, make your model and make a skel, and assign the model to the skel.
The skin must be in .tga format, at the moment make sure the material is 24 bit because I don't think hl2 supports 32 bit materials.

Once you're done with that, make a new folder in your root(hl2 directory)/cstrike_sample_content/models/*yourmodelsname

make another in the cstrike_sample_content/materialsrc/models/*yourmodelsname

Just so it's easier for me to type, from now on

x will be cstrike_sample_content, and n will be yourmodelsname

ex: x/models/*n which means to make a new folder called "whatever your models name is" If I put an asterik, that means create that folder

anyhow, save your .tga file to x/materialsrc/models/n folder

now go to your bin and create a shortcut for vtex.exe

Right click on shortcut to vtex.exe and add -mkdir -shader VertexLitGeneric to the target

move your shortcut to x/materialsrc/models/n folder and drag the .tga onto vtex.exe and it should output your vmt and vtf file into x/materials/models/n

Open up your vmt file with notepad or wordpad, whichever you want to use, and add the lines "models" 1 somewhere in it. That will tell you that it is used for a model.

Now back to your model in 3ds max, if 3ds max isn't opened, open it, and go to your saved model.

Assuming you've already finished assigning it to a skel, the next step is exporting

A model needs to have at least 3 smd files.

a referance smd
an idle animation
and a physic referance smd.

As you may have guessed, export your model and give it a name. Save it as a referance smd. A prompt should come up and ask you to save as an animation or a ref. Make sure you check ref. By the way, save it in your x/models/n folder

Then export again, this time add "_idle" without the quotes to the end of the name to the same folder, this time, make sure it's an animation.

now export again, this time add "_phys" to the end of the name, save it to the same folder, and make sure it's a referance.

For a detailed explaination of what's needed to make a physic ref. This link will explain how it's done. If you do it the way I do it, I'm pretty sure you'll get an error, and you'll end up with people thinking, "wth? why can't I walk through this open space"

http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Creating_Physics_Models

Last but not least because there's something you have to do after you've compiled.

Make a .qc and save it to x

This link will explain what you need to do to make a .qc.

http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Model_Compiling

also this link will explain how to compiled, I like this one better because it's explained very well.

http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Importing_Custom_Models

Once you've compiled the model, go to your x/models/n folder, and copy the n folder to your mods models folder ie: cstrike/models/

You also need to copy the x/materials/models/n folder( only the n folder) to your mods materials/models/ folder ie: cstrike/materials/models/

And now you've compiled an hl2 model. No ragdoll physics though, it's a static prop.

So if you're multi-talented, load up a map and add those static_props to your map.

Once I get studiomdl.exe to stop crashing on me when I make a ragdoll model, I'll write a tut on how to do it, otherwise follow this tut here:

http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Creating_Ragdoll_Models

Best answers
if would be cool if ESF made the transfer from HL to.. HL2!!!! so I can model uber models and people be like WOW nice... and stuff? ^_^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or you could make do with it being on hl1 and still make uber models since having a new engine isnt an excuse to go overboard on poly detail... just normal map it for freaks sake, it saves so much on the polycount >_<

or you could learn to make models under 2k polies :p

on topic: good tutorial, easy to understand, well thought out. ill make sure to use it when i can be assed to go buy hl2 cos i played it next door and wasnt impressed enough to go pay money for it when i could be taking girls out or getting drunk or both...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This should be setted on the stickie of tutorials.... Its a important thing! For some who would need it!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not really.. all the other stickys although some may be aimed at modeling/skinning in general. are to help people put things into esf. since esf isnt going to hl2 this isnt any real help toward that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
but think about it... Its a modeling section.. and it dont have really something with esf, because there stands "Modeling/Skinning section: post ur model or skinns here" And the Tut. is for All the world of modeling... You get ma point?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
meh, ill leave it to the mods to decide. but the forum in general is esf related, yes people build non esf models, but the stickes are related to the good of esf. there are plenty of other "general modeling" sites this could go to, like cgchat, 3dtota, polycount etc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uhm... ok thats a probleme... but your right.. let it decide the Mod/admin.

Best answers
when I get home today from school, I'm gonna write a tut for vehicle models. Right now I'm still testing out all this stuff with driving, and it's working out okay except for the view of the camera.

This time I'll include pics of the process

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uhm..oright..btw. Lunar... can u contact MK (maxkiller) and i thought he want to talk with you about... you know what ^^ you learn more!

Anyway... had the Mod/admin. decided?
And i wish u luck until the time Lunar ^^

Best answers
I don't have my messenger set to sign on automatically, so I forget to sign on sometimes. I'll sign on when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom