Global Warming: Absolutely True, or Sadly False? (Discuss & Vote)

Global Warming: What do you think?

• Absolutely real and happening, no question!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Global Warming...? What's that?

• I'm not sure...Arguments on both sides have good points...

• Completely false and blown out of proportion; an old idea past it's time...

• Total voters
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How can you not believe global warming is happening? I mean, there is plenty of evidence, Higher CO2 output, higher temperatures, melting of the polars, heck there is even friggin' .gov website for it:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/index.html

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

Countless organisations:
http://www.globalwarming.org/
http://www.climatehotmap.org/
http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/default.asp
www.google.com, type Global Warming, and you've got 112 million hits about it.

There is no going around it, Global warming is happening, no matter what type of arguments you make up. IT. IS. HAPPENING.
One last thing, polars are melting:

http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/science/081900sci-climate-pole.html

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
All that sentence proves is that in no way can you impeach or truthully contradict my statments with facts of your own. At this point you're holding onto it for no reason other than that you think so. Oh well, I suppose its admirable to go by nothing but faith.
Take it easy J-Dude, not everyone thinks the same way you do (and vice versa). You're entitled to what you believe and so is everyone else. To redicule someone just because they don't share the same ideas is pointless, trust me on that. I don't mean to be disrespectful but just take it easy.

The fact is that global warming is happening but what defines global warming? Let's take a look at dictionary.com:

Dictionary.com said:
Global Warming - An increase in the average temperature of the earth's atmosphere, especially a sustained increase sufficient to cause climatic change.
Based on numerous studies the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere is increasing sufficiently enough to cause a climatic change. Personally I think that it's a natural occurance since Earth has been heating up ever since it had a livable atmosphere, just in very small increments. Slight changes in temperature in the Earth's atmosphere is enough to cause climatic changes. There's nothing to prevent the Earth's atmosphere from heating up unless we start drifting away from the sun (which some believe we are).

I will say that what I believe is not based on the best of my knowledge since I don't really know how things in those subjects fully work, so I could be wrong. This is all I'm going to say on the matter until I learn more about it, so I apologize if my thoughts are misplaced or don't have any factual evidence behind them.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not the stubborn one here. Repetition doesn't make anything true. 90% of the claims on any of those websites are the same recycled bilge that I've given you facts contradicting. I checked each of them and I see the same thing. The same misinformation, the same figures.

The Wikipedia text at least provides alternatives, the likely true one being the "Little Ice Age" peaking. If you look at the graphs provided correctly you see us on the ascending end of a cooling/heating cycle. There you go. I've seen and read too much to change my opinion at this point. I know the true facts. Read "State of Fear" by Michael Chrichton sometime and maybe you'll begin to see truth.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
heh, well argued Pride D:

I wasnt really just going on my experiences though, im talking about everything my parents and grand parents have told me, and my brothers and sisters (they're all like almost 10 years older than me). They all said we used to get a healthy ammount of snow every year, they used to even get snowed in some winters under a few feet of snow. These days we're lucky if we get 1 inch of snow, and its decreasing.
Well, after reading that I've also asked my grandparents about to see what experience they have with the weather for the last decade. From what they told me, these ice cold winters seem to appear every several years. In the 2nd world war there used to be an extremely cold period, somewhere in the late 70's as well. And from my own experience there was also one in the mid 90's. This seems to be proof that they're right, but this only goes for the Netherlands, as my grandparents their knowledge of anything outside the Netherlands is very very limited. But as our countries seem to have simular weather conditions all the time, I'd assume this goes for the U.K. as well.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
How can you not believe global warming is happening? I mean, there is plenty of evidence, Higher CO2 output, higher temperatures, melting of the polars, heck there is even friggin' .gov website for it:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/index.html

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

Countless organisations:
http://www.globalwarming.org/
http://www.climatehotmap.org/
http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/default.asp
www.google.com, type Global Warming, and you've got 112 million hits about it.

There is no going around it, Global warming is happening, no matter what type of arguments you make up. IT. IS. HAPPENING.
One last thing, polars are melting:

http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/science/081900sci-climate-pole.html
Sicron just owned everyone who didn't think global warming wasn't happening. If you seriously still think its not, then you need to go outside and sit in the sun without any sunscreen on. You'll notice how fast you'll burn. Thats global warming for ya.

Best answers
J-Dude said:
I'm not the stubborn one here. Repetition doesn't make anything true. 90% of the claims on any of those websites are the same recycled bilge that I've given you facts contradicting. I checked each of them and I see the same thing. The same misinformation, the same figures.

The Wikipedia text at least provides alternatives, the likely true one being the "Little Ice Age" peaking. If you look at the graphs provided correctly you see us on the ascending end of a cooling/heating cycle. There you go. I've seen and read too much to change my opinion at this point. I know the true facts. Read "State of Fear" by Michael Chrichton sometime and maybe you'll begin to see truth.
Oh, you aren't stubborn, huh? anyway..... I think that Sicron has just won it for us. Like Kidboy said, if you still think its fake (and its not, I study weather... and it all sounds right to me) then there is no hope. This thread might as well be closed.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If such a thing could be finalized by 6 Internet hyperlinks then I don't think there would be any debate in the first place. I'm not impressed by a reporter's take or summarization on the matter. I'm impressed by soldi facts straight from the horses mouth. I've looked several of those up and the facts all fit. So go ahead. Sign treaties for massive unnecessary changes. Starve the poorest people on Earth. Let die the children of Africa and Asia so the fat politicians with more false reasons to stay in office, the lawyers with absurd lawsuits that bolster their careers and the pretty-boy news-anchors who are heralded as heroes for spreading disinformation and fear to the world get ever richer.

I hope you all have the stomach to bear that on your conscience.

Of course you try to silence me. After all, you can't possibly allow TRUTH into the preceedings!

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, you're taking it far too serisouly now J-Dude. Serisouly, just drop it.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
If such a thing could be finalized by 6 Internet hyperlinks then I don't think there would be any debate in the first place. I'm not impressed by a reporter's take or summarization on the matter. I'm impressed by soldi facts straight from the horses mouth. I've looked several of those up and the facts all fit. So go ahead. Sign treaties for massive unnecessary changes. Starve the poorest people on Earth. Let die the children of Africa and Asia so the fat politicians with more false reasons to stay in office, the lawyers with absurd lawsuits that bolster their careers and the pretty-boy news-anchors who are heralded as heroes for spreading disinformation and fear to the world get ever richer.

I hope you all have the stomach to bear that on your conscience.

Of course you try to silence me. After all, you can't possibly allow TRUTH into the preceedings!
This post clearly has nothing to do with global warming, and is purely you're opinion on politics.

We would appreciate if it you would cease with replies such as this.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem with your "State of Fear" theory is that people fear things that have a degree of immediacy. Remind me why the polar ice caps melting, leaving Florida under water in how many hundred odd years, is frightening?

9/11 scared people because of the immediacy. People were afraid to go outside, people were afraid to go to arenas, and stadiums, and sky scrapers because they were afraid it could happen again.

If global warming were truly so frightening, and the masses were truly living in a state of fear, wouldn't things like melanoma rates be dropping? Well, last time I checked, the reality is exactly the opposite of that, skin cancer rates are increasing. Now, this could be because of two reasons. Global warming is a fact, or people aren't wearing sun-screen (arguably, not a new trend by anyone's standards), or both.

If people were really so afraid of "the big whole in the sky", they sure have a funny way of showing their fear.

Cheers.

cloud13

C
I think that it is getting hotter and warming but like everything else it life, its a cycle and will go back around in time.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's the thing. I don't mean just absolute take-to-the streets panic. I mean subtle fears as well that affect people's decisions and actions. In Canada, there are robberies, but the general population doesn't think to lock their doors. It sounds insane, but the truth is, what fool is going to walk straight up to your door and walk in? We teach our children to fear strangers, making some future anitsocials. Its general paranoia about the world around us that is really much safer than we think. We hear that one person was robbed and we all think its about to happen to us at any given moment, particularly moments when we leave our doors unlocked.

Do you see? People are always living in fear needlessly!

@cloud13: Thank you.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
That's the thing. I don't mean just absolute take-to-the streets panic. I mean subtle fears as well that affect people's decisions and actions.
So why are skin-cancer rates increasing if people are so afraid?
J-Dude said:
In Canada, there are robberies, but the general population doesn't think to lock their doors.
Thanks Michael Moore, and how many doors do you think he had to try and open to find that many unlocked in his documentary? I've done door-to-door sales, and believe me, in my experience, majority of the population do lock their doors. But what do I know?
J-Dude said:
It sounds insane, but the truth is, what fool is going to walk straight up to your door and walk in? We teach our children to fear strangers, making some future anitsocials. Its general paranoia about the world around us that is really much safer than we think. We hear that one person was robbed and we all think its about to happen to us at any given moment, particularly moments when we leave our doors unlocked.

@cloud13: Thank you.
And if we lock our doors and don't talk to strangers, what do we have to lose?

Exactly.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
That's the thing. I don't mean just absolute take-to-the streets panic. I mean subtle fears as well that affect people's decisions and actions. In Canada, there are robberies, but the general population doesn't think to lock their doors. It sounds insane, but the truth is, what fool is going to walk straight up to your door and walk in? We teach our children to fear strangers, making some future anitsocials. Its general paranoia about the world around us that is really much safer than we think. We hear that one person was robbed and we all think its about to happen to us at any given moment, particularly moments when we leave our doors unlocked.

I remember this thread being about global warming, not how people react to fear.

I'm asking you for the last time to drop your filibuster on what you feel is our reality.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its my freedom of speech. Your perfectly free to not look at this thread if you're so offended by viewpoints apart from your own.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Freedom eh? I guess I'm free to close this thread then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom