Not open for further replies.
Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AWESOME SAUCE!!

Nice work Sky! Hopefully it should be more effective. Thanks to Harsens for the idea. :D

Best answers
If we'd open the support forums again (with the ability for them to create threads) then I'm sure there will be a lot of people creating threads who haven't validated at all.. Which in the end will lead to "Please validate" over and over again. How ever, I can make it so that the section will be open, but non-validated users cannot post in it.

BTW, everyone has access to the F.A.Q:
http://forum.esforces.com/faq.php

EDIT:
It's done :).. What's done? The above "underline".
Thanks.

Gamers - Desire (Host)
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
This site is using our web api which is completely safe. When you login, you do so on the Steam Community website. ESF does not have access to your password or any super secret material.

-BurtonJ
Valve
Exactly.

While is it possible to spoof the Steam Community website, the URL itself cannot be spoofed.

Instead of logging in when prompted, you can manually login to the Steam Community before doing the ESF verification thing and it should work w/o asking you to log back in (assuming you use the same browser).
Like tonjohn already mentioned it, you don't even have to put in your Steam Data if you're already logged in at the official Steam Site.

The validation system is a measurement that I, as hoster and publisher of this project decided to start.
As more and more users with a not legit half life copy asked for support, and actually got it - was it my duty as hoster to take actions.

In order to protect Gamers - Desire, ESForces and yes, even myself.
Plus, with that system you guys will experience some extra features in the new version of ESF that others won't get - trust me, you will beg for getting validated.

I also understand that some of you fear of losing their data and probably me the hoster, nor the esf team or even not an official Valve Member (Hello tonjohn ;P) could give you enough security of doing it.

So if you really feel like you want to validate and being scared of losing your account (I want to remember everyone of you that you don't even have to put in your steam data if your already logged in at the official steam site, as you're typing in your steam data AT the official steam site while validating), you can easily hit me up and we'll do it manually - for a small fee ;P

~ skizer

Gamers - Desire

Best answers
I do of course agree with you that we shouldn't support illegal use. Our disagreement is over whether illegal use can be handled by moderators and the community itself or if mandatory validation is required.

To make the validation as painless as possible, can you integrate it with the forum? Ideally, you login the forum and there is a validate button somewhere there, so you don't have to re-login the ESF forum for validation via the separate page if you are already logged into the forum. That way you also don't have to design a login page.

As for privacy, can you configure which of your steam details are exposed on the forum? I'd prefer to expose none of them, including my steam account name. By validating, what information is becoming available for the ESF forum other than that I have a valid copy of half-life? I'm assuming that some steam information is linked to my forum account, since you can set up awards etc.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hars. I hope you realize that nothing gets exposed. Not your account name, not your ID or anything like that. The only thing that gets exposed is "Half Life: Yes/No" Nothing else. And even that information is provided by the official STEAM site.

Best answers
http://steamcommunity.com/dev
OpenID exposes my steam ID, which can then be linked to my stats, my steam username, etc if I understand correctly.

edit after short discussion with Sky:
The forum stores your steam id, but it is only visible for those with moderator access or higher. So if you trust your mods and our forum security, or you don't care about your steam id being exposed (which is probably true for most of us), there aren't any privacy reasons preventing you from validating I guess.

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
http://steamcommunity.com/dev
OpenID exposes my steam ID, which can then be linked to my stats, my steam username, etc if I understand correctly.

edit after short discussion with Sky:
The forum stores your steam id, but it is only visible for those with moderator access or higher. So if you trust your mods and our forum security, or you don't care about your steam id being exposed (which is probably true for most of us), there aren't any privacy reasons preventing you from validating I guess.
I've added the above information within this thread:
http://forum.esforces.com/threads/78304-Half-Life-Steam-Verification-Required-for-Official-Support

See the new info/note boxes.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How about set it to be admin only visibility. Should quiet a few potential voices ^^;

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can't you see like everybody's SteamID ingame? So really, does it matter?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Guys, just so you know...I know your forum login ID's. So if you are hacked, it was me.

Best answers
Yes. And it is not mandatory to join the esf group. Or to join it with an account that is similar to your forum account. I guess the team is screwed though. I'm not saying that handing out your steam ID is a security risk, but it is a privacy risk comparable to leaving your msn account name or email address (for my older account it is literally my email address).

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Yes. And it is not mandatory to join the esf group. Or to join it with an account that is similar to your forum account. I guess the team is screwed though. I'm not saying that handing out your steam ID is a security risk, but it is a privacy risk comparable to leaving your msn account name or email address (for my older account it is literally my email address).
Regardless.. If people are joining gaming servers, they can see their SteamID and add him/her to his friend list as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom