GeForce 8800: Here Comes the DX10 Boom

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
They dont chop their OpenGL performance to leave it for the quadro cards.
Its just how the drivers are deseigned. And as far as I know Nvidia have allways had better performance in OpenGL than ATI. A-la Doom 3 vs Half Life 2.
I for one will not be jumping on the direct x 10 hype. My Radeon 9700 Pro in my laptop still runs everything fine, even Oblivion at 800x600 with details on medium! On my desktop I have a Geforce 7. Untill I can -no longer- play those games, direct x 10 video cards will not interest me. It will take awhile for direct x 10 features to become compulsury. (Just like what happen to the radeon 9200/8500 with their direct x 8.1 support). Besides I can wait till I find the perfect card, for price/performance ;) and for the new architectures from ATI and Nvidia to improve.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mr. Zorg said:
ATi isn't nearly as poor in OpenGL as they used to be. Any Doom 3 engine-esque benchmarks are proof.
True, however depending on settings, games etc Nvidia cards seems to cope better with higher aa and af. I play Quake4 with my 9600pro (My whole system is aging now, so I will need to upgrade soon enough when the money comes in) with 4xaa and 4xaf high @ 800x600, only getting lag in some intensive scenes (however you can see why I've kept a few things here and there low or at default).
Considering how nVidia chop the performance of their cards in OpenGL so they can sell Quadro to businesses...

I'd love to see your proof to back that up
He's actually not lying, Nvidia's Quardo cards, which are intended for the workstation market, is preferred over ATI. You can also mod certain Geforce cards into Quadro cards(Same goes for a few ATI cards too).

Best answers
|Overlord| said:
True, however depending on settings, games etc Nvidia cards seems to cope better with higher aa and af.
Well couldn't one also say that "depending on settings, games etc" ATi cards seem to cope better with higher aa and af?

You shouldn't blindly throw out hypothetical situations to support your statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom