GeForce 8800: Here Comes the DX10 Boom

New Member
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
904
Best answers
0
Hah, I've been waiting a few days for someone to make an 8800 thread. My 6800 (which used to be incredible back in the day) seems so insignificant now, and I mean really insignificant.

More reviews:
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=358
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/391/ <-- Recommended read for the less informed.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIxOCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/8800nvidiareviewx120/
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/11/08/nvidia_geforce_8800_gtx_g80/1.html
 
New Member
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
1,714
Best answers
0
So when is ATI going to release their directx10 cards?
 
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
3,211
Best answers
0
http://www.oobies.org/

Smith is there something you want to tell us?

So here's my question. Will older video cards support DX10? And run almost as well as the 8800? Like the 7900GTX?
 
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Dec 1, 2001
Messages
7,416
Best answers
0
Older cards might be compatable with DX10, but they will be unable to support hardware accelerated features of Direct3D that are debuting in DX10, like Primitive Shaders. It will essentially be the same thing as the big bump to DX9, which made some older hardware non-functional, and some middle aged entries work, but not have all the eye candy associated with DX9.
 
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
3,211
Best answers
0
Cucumba said:
Older cards might be compatable with DX10, but they will be unable to support hardware accelerated features of Direct3D that are debuting in DX10, like Primitive Shaders. It will essentially be the same thing as the big bump to DX9, which made some older hardware non-functional, and some middle aged entries work, but not have all the eye candy associated with DX9.
Reason being is I'm building a new computer, so..should I just wait for DX10, and these cards?
 
New Member
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
1,714
Best answers
0
Yes, wait for ATI's card.
 
New Member
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
904
Best answers
0
ATi's won't be released for quite a few months :/.
 
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Dec 1, 2001
Messages
7,416
Best answers
0
Even so, do you want to be stuck with the next 5xxx Nvidia card?

DX10 is too new to guage, and you won't be sure of how a dx10 card will stack against another. Not to mention, the nearest dx10 game is far, far away. I bet HALO will use all DX9 functions, and not a drop of DX10 other than whats changed to make it function on it. That being said, the 8xxx series is a good card for DX9, no doubt about it. I'd say take the plunge, and upgrade again in a few years when it actually matters whether or not you have a DX10 Compliant Card or DX10 Compatable Card.
 
Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2005
Messages
475
Best answers
0
The quantum physics engine does make the nVidia card a desireable find, nonetheless...
 
New Member
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
1,714
Best answers
0
Mr. Zorg said:
ATi's won't be released for quite a few months :/.
Exactly why I am waiting. They will have a better product since they are waiting unlike Nvidia. Also the price might drop a little.
 
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
3,211
Best answers
0
KidBoy17 said:
Exactly why I am waiting. They will have a better product since they are waiting unlike Nvidia. Also the price might drop a little.
Dunno what you're talking about, I've had nothing but good things from Nvidia. They're cards are really superb. Also, just because Nvidia's cards come out first doesn't mean they're "rushed" or ****ty, it just means nvidia started before ATI.
 
Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
3,089
Best answers
0
wooow omg i think that the future it's coming fast guys
 
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Dec 21, 2003
Messages
3,608
Best answers
0
Was reading dailytech's article on 8800gtx performance a few days ago and the benchmarks seemed to show massive improvements over the X1950XTX (which doesn't seem a fair comparision seeing as ATI doesn't have R600 based cards out yet, but I think it was done for the sake of comparing speed in DX9/9C based games). The implementation of a unified architecture though seems to have done the card some good too. NOW i want to get some money and SLI these cards along with Kentsfield or Conroe (I'm allowed to dream i suppose :p).

I'm still eager to see how the R600 stacks up against G80. I hope that ATI will work at upping their performance in Opengl apps, as that's were nvidia usually will give them a pounding (depending on the game engine).
 
New Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
207
Best answers
0
Man this card is awesome, and makes me drool, but although I'm going to buy a new PC...I won't be able to get a 8880 with a prebulilt computer around $1000.00 Canadian.

To answer your questions people, Halo 2 for PC WILL HAVE DX10 FEATURES, but still will work on DX9 cards(you won't get all the features though)

Vista works fine on DX9 cards, but once again, you won't get the prettyest desktop.

I predict that about in 13 months we will start seeing our first "DX10 only games" which won't work on DX9(, but until then all of you have time to work and make some money for an upgrade.

Also Chris, that's true, just because Nvidia's were relased first dosen't mean they rushed, NVIDIA have done this in the past but ATI still can't surpass their cards, even though they have a longer time to fix up their cards...
 
Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2005
Messages
475
Best answers
0
Yeah, with DX10 being Vista only, I can see OpenGL gaining an increase in popularity in the future.
 
New Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
1,626
Best answers
0
chris` said:
So here's my question. Will older video cards support DX10? And run almost as well as the 8800? Like the 7900GTX?
Does my 9800 run SM3.0? No, no it doesn't. Just like a 7900 won't run SM 4.0.

Overlord said:
I'm still eager to see how the R600 stacks up against G80. I hope that ATI will work at upping their performance in Opengl apps, as that's were nvidia usually will give them a pounding (depending on the game engine).
Considering how nVidia chop the performance of their cards in OpenGL so they can sell Quadro to businesses...
 
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
3,211
Best answers
0
frsrblch said:
Does my 9800 run SM3.0? No, no it doesn't. Just like a 7900 won't run SM 4.0.

so you're answering my question with a question? also if you hate nvidia why do you have one of their cards?


Considering how nVidia chop the performance of their cards in OpenGL so they can sell Quadro to businesses...

I'd love to see your proof to back that up
1234567890
 
Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2005
Messages
475
Best answers
0
Chris` said:
so you're answering my question with a question? also if you hate nvidia why do you have one of their cards?

I'd love to see your proof to back that up
Instead of placing the unneccessary 1 through 10, why don't you actually just place your responses OUTSIDE of the quote? :rolleyes:

But yes, I agree. The Quadro aren't any better or any worse for OpenGL. But it's not really designed for real-time graphics processing, especially not at the gaming level. The fact of the matter is, the cards are different. More to the point... Quadro cards are designed to aid in CAD and DDC, while the GeForce cards are designed for gaming.
 
New Member
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
904
Best answers
0
Cucumba said:
Even so, do you want to be stuck with the next 5xxx Nvidia card?

DX10 is too new to guage, and you won't be sure of how a dx10 card will stack against another. Not to mention, the nearest dx10 game is far, far away. I bet HALO will use all DX9 functions, and not a drop of DX10 other than whats changed to make it function on it. That being said, the 8xxx series is a good card for DX9, no doubt about it. I'd say take the plunge, and upgrade again in a few years when it actually matters whether or not you have a DX10 Compliant Card or DX10 Compatable Card.
There in lies a biggest misconception of DX10. One of the main reasons it's being intricately designed into Vista, completely separate of all previous versions is for efficiency. If they had to tie in DX9-DX2, they would be limited in what they'd be allowed to do. DX10 will allow any DX10 card to render scenes, which may have taken several passes for a DX9 card to do, in one pass. Not only this, but it'll allow DX10 cards the ability to process information completely separate from the computer's CPU until absolutely needed. All those extra visual enhancements seen in the Crysis DX10 videos could be done on DX9 hardware, but it would just take too long to render and too many passes compared to DX10. As such, it's safe to say: DX10 is efficiency in a box and any extra visuals you see are just the cream on the top.
Wikipedia said:
According to Microsoft, Direct3D 10 will be able to display graphics up to 8 times faster than DirectX Graphics 9.0c.
I don't think it's a valid comparison at all to compare the 8800s vs the 5X00s, or more accurately, DX10 vs DX9.

(And understand, Cucumba. I know this may seem like it's directed towards you and a bit condescending, but it's not. I just quoted your post and built off of it, directing it more at the general audience. I know you know your stuff very well. And if I'm incorrect, by all means attack my post :).)

Chris` said:
So here's my question. Will older video cards support DX10? And run almost as well as the 8800? Like the 7900GTX?
No, my friend. Your 7900GTX will run Crysis fine, though, but only on DX9 settings.
Overlord said:
I hope that ATI will work at upping their performance in Opengl apps, as that's were nvidia usually will give them a pounding (depending on the game engine).
ATi isn't nearly as poor in OpenGL as they used to be. Any Doom 3 engine-esque benchmarks are proof.
Chris` said:
http://www.oobies.org/

Smith is there something you want to tell us?
>_>... mebbe.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top