FUNimation - Remastered Dragon Ball Z Episodes

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, what a tremendous response! It's great to see this much passion and enthusiasm from all of the Dragon Ball Z fans. There does seem to be some confusion out there, which has resulted in rumors, speculation and disarray. So, lets take a look and see what I can do.

First, I would like to address the issue that seems to have caused the greatest concern: WIDESCREEN. Many seem to believe that this process will result in a loss of image/content. What you will actually be getting with the digitally remastered and restored DBZ episodes is more of the viewable film that was not used for traditional 4:3 TV version.

I've seen the original DVD video and compared to the digitally remastered footage and you can see the difference! The footage was digitally transferred from the original Japanese film footage, the new transfer will actually allow for more of the original footage to be seen on screen.

Those who were able to attend Wizard World Texas were able to see first hand the care and concern FUNimation has taken in the re-mastering process. The response was overwhelming. This has been a very intense project. We have invested a lot of time and resources into this, both as a company and as fans of this great series. Rest assured, we have listened to your feedback and input. The February 2007 release of Dragon Ball Z Season One The Vegeta Saga (all 39 episodes for $49.98) is going to be great!
Source: http://www.myfavoritegames.com

Best answers
Awesome!! I'm looking forward to it! Dragon Ball Z without that grainy, ugly screen and some other neat stuff......Hell yeah!

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That means...better image quality?

Well, more money for them =P but I guess I'm looking forward to it as well, curious.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I forgot the previous news post on myfavoritegames before the one I quoted:

Well, seeing as Sharky has until Monday off, I guess I'll post this next little thing that I found out about. :p

By now you've, more then likely, heard that FUNimation will be releasing the entirety of DragonBall Z completely remastered on DVD. If you haven't heard by now, you can read their official press release via Anime News Network or PR Newswire. Also, check out FUNimation's high-res trailer.

What does this mean for you all? It means you're getting something very similar to a "Dragon Box"-style visual presentation, with a whole slew of extras ... but a whole lot more questions at the present. If you go by the press release, it would appear that there will be multiple audio tracks, including an English dub track with the original Japanese score (by Shunsuke Kikuchi). While this doesn't correct the altered script and cast of voices featured in FUNimation's English dub, it's at least something different.

There's a whole lot else to be said. Phrases like "1080p" and "widescreen" are being tossed around like candy without a whole lot of technical, definitive, and authoritative confirmation.

Until new information becomes available, continue drooling.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a copy for times sake I suppose.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whoa! Sounds neat! And tell me, does having different music tracks mean that they have different full mixes (audio tracks that already include voice, sfx and music in one) or does it mean that the Funimation voices act as one track, and the music is an individual track that can be swapped? Because if it's the latter, then it sounds like there'd be a way to rip the music tracks alone...So many unsold Faulconer themes at my fingertips...Muhuwahahahah!!! I've had fantasies about such a thing!!! Could it really come true...?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whoa! Sounds neat! And tell me, does having different music tracks mean that they have different full mixes (audio tracks that already include voice, sfx and music in one) or does it mean that the Funimation voices act as one track, and the music is an individual track that can be swapped? Because if it's the latter, then it sounds like there'd be a way to rip the music tracks alone...So many unsold Faulconer themes at my fingertips...Muhuwahahahah!!! I've had fantasies about such a thing!!! Could it really come true...?
The audio is most likely going to be remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1, so yes, it will be much easier to rip music from the show.

From my understanding, you will be able to chose between English dialog and the Japanese soundtrack, English dialog and the English soundtrack, etcetera.

There's an update:

As promised by FUNimation about a week ago, comparison images have been uploaded for fans to see how the new DragonBall Season Sets will look.

FUNimation DragonBall Z DVD's

Re-Mastered FUNimation Season Set

Here are some of the benefits to the new Re-Masters:

1. Less grain/noise in the new image.
2. More viewable footage (left and right side), in this case Gohan's face.
3. The color's are crisper and cleaner.

As us fans can see, we will be getting "new footage" as promised by FUNimation on the right and left hand side of our television's, but if you look close enough at those images, you'll notice we also 'lose footage' on the top and bottom of our screen's. More precisly we lose some of Gohan's hair, and his entire arm. We do indeed get "new footage", but not at what we thought. In reality we're getting 'more footage here, less footage there', but that is enough rambling for .

Best answers
That means...better image quality?

Well, more money for them =P but I guess I'm looking forward to it as well, curious.
Uhhh, no. It costs $30 per 3 episode DVD. The fact that they're selling all 39 episodes in one pack for $49.99 is a huge deal.

Edit: However, if it doesn't include the Japanese spoken language (with the choice to turn the subs off - I don't need subtitles, why would I want them?), then it doesn't sound interesting at all.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So do they have the entire DBZ series uncut yet? Or is this only the first season? Do they even have re-mastered other seasons?
The "Ultimate Uncut" was only done on the first season, though it was stopped if I remember correctly. Now, FUNimation is just taking all of the episodes and remastering them by improving the video and audio quality, plus they are making it widescreen. Other than that, nothing is going to change.

Best answers
The thing is... Dragon Ball Z was made in the 4:3 format. They say you're "getting more" of the picture, but all they're really doing is chopping the original, and adding in their own "special touches."

The dragon box was criticized greatly because they also went with the 16:9 format, and hardcore fans were appalled that parts of the shots were being cut.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's cool, this'll probably be the last incarnation of DBZ, the one they get right. Or as close as you can get to 'right'.

As long as they finish releasing the Ultimate Uncut's on DVD first, rather than abandoning it half-way for this new project, i'll be happy. Would be cool to have all 291 eps, uncut and unedited, in High Definition widescreen /w Surround Sound (perfect for the home theater I don't own =P).

I'm amazed that DBZ has been released and re-released so many times, and yet Dragon Ball is still missing the first 13 eps uncut and dubbed.

Best answers
I think it's cool, this'll probably be the last incarnation of DBZ, the one they get right. Or as close as you can get to 'right'.

As long as they finish releasing the Ultimate Uncut's on DVD first, rather than abandoning it half-way for this new project, i'll be happy. Would be cool to have all 291 eps, uncut and unedited, in High Definition widescreen /w Surround Sound (perfect for the home theater I don't own =P).

I'm amazed that DBZ has been released and re-released so many times, and yet Dragon Ball is still missing the first 13 eps uncut and dubbed.
Yeah, that's the Dragon Box... There were two of them, the first containing 153 episodes, the second had the other 138 episodes. They also released a dragon box for the movies (all movies; 1 through 13). The dragon box is perfect; if you can speak Japanese.

Except for the high-deff part... The series is not filmed in high-def, so it won't be coming in high-def.

Biggest problem with the dragon box is the price... Volume 1 has/had a price tag of $900.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would also like to own the entire series uncut. Been looking for it for a while now.

This may sound crazy but in the later future I plan to re-animate DBZ. More fights and fight detail, less talking, no filler episodes, powerlevels are always mentioned and become reasonable and transes don't take episodes to happen. Instead of 291 episodes, I think it would run to 200 even.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Except for the high-deff part... The series is not filmed in high-def, so it won't be coming in high-def.
I think it refers to upscaling rather than true High Definition (1080i/p), in the same way PS2 games can be upscaled past their native resolution with a hardware addon. The FUNimation trailer says High Definition so I was just re-iterating, but upscaling is probably the case.

Honestly the resolution for an anime doesn't matter to me. It's animated, thus the detail will never be as deep as real life, even the smallest details (e.g. beads of sweat in DBZ's case) are noticeable at small resolutions. I'm more excited about being immersed in the fights through Surround Sound. Being able to see it as more cinematic due to the widescreen etc...

And, of course, being able to turn up the volume so high the room actually shakes during Goku's SSJ3 ascension without a decrease in sound quality =P

Best answers
I would also like to own the entire series uncut. Been looking for it for a while now.

This may sound crazy but in the later future I plan to re-animate DBZ. More fights and fight detail, less talking, no filler episodes, powerlevels are always mentioned and become reasonable and transes don't take episodes to happen. Instead of 291 episodes, I think it would run to 200 even.
Or you could do 31 episodes, and follow the manga religiously, having each episode 1 hour long (like the Hellsing OAV). Each episode would be one novel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom