Fake HL1 Shader [not cell-shading]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just started this project yesterday, and I have already developed my own little technique for giving HL1 model's a smooth shader feel, but with a price. Basically it's just putting HL chrome to a good use. Keeping your diffuse texture but also adding chrome. I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of it before, but I havn't seen anyone use it in HL, and I think thats reason enough to call it my idea :rolleyes: .

Here is an example of the technique used on a simple can [one of my old models]:

I wish I could get a video of it in action, because a still image doesn't do the technique any justice, but here is a pic of the can in HL model viewer without the fake shader:

But like I said, it comes with a price. For this to work properly you need to make a duplicate of your model, and for you MS3D users, you have to use the fatboy tool to make the duplicate a bit bigger then the model you duplicated.

The second step is to prepare the chrome texture to be transparent. This is done by simply editing the chrome texture's color table. First the texture must be indexed to 256 colors. Then you open up the color table [image\mode\color table for photoshop], and you select a color to be transparent, I don't think it really matters much to be honest, but you might aswell go ahead and select the darkest and most used color on the texture, so the brighter colors shine through.

Then the rest of the work is in the .QC file. You open it up and put this code in after your studio entries:

$texrendermode "whatever_chrome.bmp" "additive"

To compile you will need "studiomdl", which is the only compiler I know of that can compile this type of transparent texture. It's hard to find a download for it so here is a temporary download link:

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=04UXKKLNNO8I62WA9WAMA0TSAH

It's not a perfect concept, but it gets the job done ^_^. [makes things shineh!]

I thought of this idea when I was trying to get transparent models into half-life. So big credits to VERC for the help on that. If anyone is interested in seeing the model in action I could post a temporary link just so you can get a better look at what it does.

Hope it helps someone who is trying to make things shiny, if anyone has trouble following it, I will post a more describtive tutorial later, when I have more time :p.

[edit]

YES! I got a smooth ingame video, this should give you a better idea of what this technique can do ^_^.

http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=31PSWAH75PZK005CS0KEFRXPDN

[1meg video]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Very nice enix. At first I was like "wtf it just is cromed" but ingame it looks great. Really nice job. Try applying this to a esf player model.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CrackerJack said:
Very nice enix. At first I was like "wtf it just is cromed" but ingame it looks great.
Yeah, same. =o

This would look really cool on a Meta Cooler model!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks :D. Well, its pretty much chrome with a twist. Chrome just applied regularly looks pretty ugleh if you don't use it right. Think of it as chrome overlayed, I think it's better to give it a....specular lighting kind of look, So you can keep your texture, and have a nice chrome overlay, this effect looks great on metal, I havn't tested it on any player models yet, but believe me I will :).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
Yeah, same. =o

This would look really cool on a Meta Cooler model!

Hmm.. sounds like a good idea.. *ponders*

could be cool to do on trunks sword

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First character test:

just a bit shineh XD

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try it with trunks sword. Is that possible?

Or maybe SSJ hair.

Is it possible to do that to only a segment of teh model?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yup, I could pinpoint a single face if I had to :D. I can do that easy ^_^...BTW, I redid the chrome on cell and toned it down...that was just...ugleh :p. This ones a bit better, and much more...shineh :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NightTerror said:
Yup, I could pinpoint a single face if I had to :D. I can do that easy ^_^...BTW, I redid the chrome on cell and toned it down...that was just...ugleh :p. This ones a bit better, and much more...shineh :)

Ahh! I'm wrapped in saran wrap!

Well... that's what it looks like to me... :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CrackerJack said:
Try it with trunks sword. Is that possible?

Or maybe SSJ hair.

not with this shader but used with another Method..

That 'shader' looks predy damn good on that can... Id like to talk to you about this shader more in either PM or AIM..

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
the effect isnt that bad if its used wisely, the only bad thing about it imo is that it doubles the polycount of the chrome parts -_-

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
This used in HL Rally quite sparingly to get the shiny glass effect of the windshields and other windows. It certainly looks better when applied over a model with a darker texture.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RavenTrunks said:

That 'shader' looks predy damn good on that can... Id like to talk to you about this shader more in either PM or AIM..
Thats pretty hot looking.. Try it with this method.

I still thinks trunks sword would look nice with this

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RavenTrunks said:

Is he.. glowing?

Looks awesome. I wish ESF had something like that currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom