ESF will live a long long time...

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
I'm just playing devils advocate here, but I remember PCJoe saying that mods such as EVM would no longer be possible with 1.2. 1.2 comes out and we still got mods like ECX.

Again, I'm simply playing devils advocate here. I realize that the changes going into 1.3 will be a lot greater then those from 1.2.
With the difference that pcjoe was never on the "hacking" side.
Raven,LoD an me were on the hacking side. I mean we created ECX and now we are part of the ESF Team. Because of my knowhow from the old ecx times and my knowledge about the esf source I know that it will really be hard for 3th party mods. It's not impossible, but I know that they will need an extra module written in c++. AMXX itself doesn't provide wrappers for everything we are using(boost,stl,...). So infact it's not impossible, but really really hard...

Okay I dont want to destroy all your dreams^^
Things like PL,HP,Ki,Stamina are easy to read/change.
Things like reading class/transformation data not...
Changing the model should work like in esf 1.2.3 you just have to find the correct offset. (AFAIK other ppl could use this method only since I've released the sorcecode for it...)

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I already thought that an additional Metamod module might be needed. I guess it's time to start learning C++.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Raven,LoD an me were on the hacking side. I mean we created ECX and now we are part of the ESF Team. Because of my knowhow from the old ecx times and my knowledge about the esf source I know that it will really be hard for 3th party mods. It's not impossible, but I know that they will need an extra module written in c++. AMXX itself doesn't provide wrappers for everything we are using(boost,stl,...). So infact it's not impossible, but really really hard...

Changing the model should work like in esf 1.2.3 you just have to find the correct offset. (AFAIK other ppl could use this method only since I've released the sorcecode for it...)
On the flip side, wouldn't it be easier for someone to make a slight mod of the game using the new xml tools / custom character feature (Although i think that might not make it in?)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
On the flip side, wouldn't it be easier for someone to make a slight mod of the game using the new xml tools / custom character feature (Although i think that might not make it in?)
Ahh but they wont be able to.

The character adding/manipulation part of XML will be locked. Only a selected few on the dev team will actually be able to put in new characters. So basically all custom character content will have to go though us.

The only thing people will have access to is effect and maps. Nothing really gameplay related.

Or did by custom character you by chance mean multiple skins per character? Cause thats not really a mod you know ^^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Hehehe, You know you saying this just got us a bit more pumped up... Im gonna need Baliopan some more then.... *Evil grin* :D

Ahh but they wont be able to.

The character adding/manipulation part of XML will be locked. Only a selected few on the dev team will actually be able to put in new characters. So basically all custom character content will have to go though us.

The only thing people will have access to is effect and maps. Nothing really gameplay related.

Or did by custom character you by chance mean multiple skins per character? Cause thats not really a mod you know ^^
But on this topic I think that isn't that good of an Idea to me. Maybe you could allow all to use it but instead of having it like that, just Change it from ESF 1.3 to ESF 1.3 Modified. Change the Game mode to that so that people know that he is running modded stuff.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey you can still work round it. And you can still tell us to add a good character to the game.

But unlike the CCI tool. This way we prevent Ripping and crappy chars ;)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey you can still work round it. And you can still tell us to add a good character to the game.

But unlike the CCI tool. This way we prevent Ripping and crappy chars ;)
Do you think ripping will stop? Lol
It comes natural to all humans to steal. Let alone, there are those crappy characters that we like to see come out. Guess I gotta work on Bojack more and then him not get approved. That would make me feel like **** and not even wanna try to make a character anymore.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
It may be one day if Half Life 3 will come out with lots of mods. Then HL2 will become old and HL1 will be a complete nostalgia. The player base will go around HL2 and HL3 and there modding community, leaving some of the players who still like HL1 and its mods to play it. There are various reasons why people would prefer HL3, I can only imagine it failing if HL3 will not be popular for modding.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
With crappy chars i ment that Brolly with uber PL and a killer beam/melee multiplier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom