ESF needs a tutorial

Force Pit Member
Best answers
The thing is, esf is unlike any other game out there, compared to what most people play, like first person shooters. Tutorials would simplify the game and show everything live to the player to help him understand it and pick up and play. Because at first to the average person this game does seem complicated. I have friends who are good at cs, quake, etc but wont touch esf because they try it out and just dont get it, and quit.

not everyone is a noob at gaming, but just when it comes to esf really.

Best answers
to be honest..when i first started ESF..i didnt read the manual...and i didnt go around asking how things worked..i played and played and played..until i got better..but alot of people arent like that..it wasnt until the end of 1.1 when i saw the manual in the ESF folder..and decided to take a look at it..until that point..i didnt even know there was a manual..lol..so in my opinion..the manual is too well hidden for the "common" newb to find..so putting a manual in the game itself would be genius..i fully support this idea..and think it would be a great asset to the game..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm just curious as to why 99% of all noobs are too damn lazy to read the manual. I mean, I already knew most of it when 1.2 first came out and I still read it. Hell, I printed out the 1.1 manual and read it multiple times before I even played the game.
alot of people dont know about the manual though

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hell, the manual is in the about section on the esforces site. Its the very first tab. And if a person misses that, its in the esf folder. I mean, unless you didn't read anything and just dled the game, played it, complained and quit within 2 days, I dont understand how people miss it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
youve nailed it zeo, people dont automatically think "hey i wonder where the manual is" they think "yeah cant wait to try this SOB out"

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Then people are morons. Flat out morons. How do you not think "Hmm, I wonder how I play this game that looks nothing like anything I've seen before"? Did they download ESF in 2 seconds? There was no time to check out the main site?

How do you explain people who tell others to stfu when told to read the manual, but continue to ask tons of questions that are clearly explained in the manual? They're still too excited? Hell, I binded a key just to direct people to the manual and flash manual, but apparently its 100 times easier to ask a gazillion questions ingame.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
zeonix you have been playing with noobs for way too long, getting worked up lol. At least have the manual available at the start up screen, would be much better.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I actually hate this game because of noobs. They don't deserve an ingame manual.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I Agree with Zeo. Moast people ask questions all the time and tell you to go **** yourself when you tell them where the manual is.

I say make the manual automaticly popup up after the install finishes. If they want to learn it than its good. If they dont want to read it than they will act like now and ask stupid questions, They only loose the excuse "I cant find it"

But to make an ingame tutoreal a tad to mutch if you ask me.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
nah, if it pops up when you install, i guarantee you they will just "x" it out. If it was at the startup screen, it can be accessed whenever they want, and they can't miss it.

Grega an ingame tutorial is too much for you, but not for other players who have never played esf. It will definitely help keep players from quiting.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the thing that sums this argument up is this:

There are few things which will benefit this mod more than this suggestion. The simple fact is, if you ask most people why you quit the mod, its not because there’s a lack of characters, not because there’s a lack of attacks, not because they don't like the melee system (They usually don't get far enough into the game to understand the melee system..), but because they find the game too hard.

If not an in game tutorial, the least the team can do is make a very good flash tutorial that is linked into the start menu.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We didn't have this problem in 1.1. I don't see why people would have so much difficulty with the easier version of esf.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
eh, 1.2 is actually harder to learn, because you have to learn basic and advanced melee. Its just easier to master.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
We didn't have this problem in 1.1. I don't see why people would have so much difficulty with the easier version of esf.
We did have this problem in 1.1 and 1.0. Many people quit playing the game back then because they thought it was too hard. I was one of them, I quit playing for three months before I tried the mod again all because it was too hard.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And yet there were still tons of servers and still a lot of people playing the game. It was hard, but thats what made it fun. People get angry with 1.2 because they don't have a chance to fight back. 3 hits on the ground + beam = OMFG STOP IT!!! MY DAD MADE STEAM! A brand spanking new manual isn't going to change that.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
maybe not but they will keep playing because of the manual/tutorial, and eventually there will be less noobs lol. Dont have to get mad when noobs complain, just keep kicking the crap out of them.

nge

Best answers
A new tutorial cannot hurt. It only benifits. Many people got into HL through the hazard course.

Seriously, it can only help the game. If it were made, one would see people at least starting to learn. After knowing how to do everything, you'd see them stop asking "what button do I press to kick you 30 times in a row fgt." People could come to the realization that everything done by the people they were playing against was available to them with the basic "tools" they were given.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not against the idea. I just dont understand why people can't read the manual.

Best answers
I agree. If you cannot understand how to play a game, the first thing you do is go to the manuel. Now a tutorial wouldn't hurt at all, it would actually help, but you can still understand how to play the game by reading the manuel, atleast I did =/.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom