ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
A tutorial isnt a bad idea imho.
And a BIG link (not just like "view readme now") on the end of the installer would be a good idea, too imho.
A buttom ingame to start up the manual would be good, too but I dont know if its possible to launch external applications from within hl. At leatt I dont know how to add it to the gamemenu.res file
oh well ...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Start>Earth's Special Forces>Manual.

Amazing.

Best answers
Ok why not add a training course like half-life did? the training course would simply have you do each move possible in the game..

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
Zeonix said:
Start>Earth's Special Forces>Manual.

Amazing.
its there already and obviously it doesnt help at all...

Force Pit Member
Best answers
actualy dj ready, cs did it like this in 1.5. They added an extra option in the start screen, which had manual , next to start game, etc. When you clicked on it, it went to the next page (was not an external txt document, just the manual info pasted there, and lets you scroll down so you could read it all).

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
DJ-Ready said:
its there already and obviously it doesnt help at all...
Then advertise the manual.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Say how about the new calss select screen. It has lots of information. Cant you implant an ingame manual screen.

It can work similar as the new character select screen.

The only difrence would be:
- 2 models that show the choice
- instead of weapons youd have various things like melee and stuff
- instead weapon description youd see how to use the selected choice

me posts pic later

EDIT:

Something like this.

Gives an ingame overwiew. And it even looks nice. Than just set it to a key like lets say F11. And you have your ingame tutoreal :p

Best answers
if that ingame tutorial is made, i suggest that whatever button an attack is assigned to, would also change if you change it in the controls

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega said:
Say how about the new calss select screen. It has lots of information. Cant you implant an ingame manual screen.

It can work similar as the new character select screen.

The only difrence would be:
- 2 models that show the choice
- instead of weapons youd have various things like melee and stuff
- instead weapon description youd see how to use the selected choice

me posts pic later

EDIT:

Something like this.

Gives an ingame overwiew. And it even looks nice. Than just set it to a key like lets say F11. And you have your ingame tutoreal :p
That would also work very nicely.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
i was actually thinking about something like that grega... good idea D:

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
That sounds good, sub. But maybe the ESF Team can do what they did about 1-2 weeks before the Beta 1 release. They made some flash tutorial that showed the characters, attacks, and then showed how to melee. That tutorial was awesome, I liked it :x

http://web.archive.org/web/20021127104744/http://esforces.com/

Check the very last news post. If anyone remembers what that program is, there should be another one for esf 1.3 like that.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember that manual. It would certainly help if they did something like that for 1.3, though it'd have to be linked somewhere in the main menu or shortly after installing to do much good.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
having the manual at the start screen is better i think, most people tend to x out manuals when they are installing. Its easy to find whenever you need it. And a flash tutorial or ingame tutorial that is interactive is good if they can get around to it

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
tonythetiger123 said:
having the manual at the start screen is better i think, most people tend to x out manuals when they are installing. Its easy to find whenever you need it. And a flash tutorial or ingame tutorial that is interactive is good if they can get around to it
Thats why i said it would be bindedto a key.

So all they need to do would be to press F11 and they can practice an the bots.

NOTE: There could be a bot section after the movement section and befor the attacking part. So they learn to use bots ^^

But maby use it as a gamemode. TUTOREAL mode. It automaticly creates a LAN server, chooses your character, adds a nonmooving bot and opens the totoreal menu. Than they can just rewiew it any time they want.
And you have your ingame tutoreal with bots + a lot less coding neaded than adding a working ingame tutoreal like the hazard course.

And they can skip stuff they know already ^^

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If the team is going to spend the time making this, it should be a mandatory part of the game. If you want to play with other people, you need to complete your training first. Of course, this could be annoying for players who already know how to play if they uninstall and reinstall the game. To combat that problem, there should be an option to skip the manual and fight a bot to 10. Beams would be disabled. Why? Because.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Hell, if the team has to go through the trouble of doing this crap then every new player WILL look at it whether they want to or not. They WILL learn how to play the game. If they give up during the tutorial, fine. We don't need their kind in esf.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
They're also adding ssj3. Since the team is going through the trouble of adding that, the player should be forced to play until they reach that form. The exit button in the main menu will be disabled. Typing exit in console will be disabled. Typing quit in console will be disabled. Hell, to avoid the trouble, console itself will be disabled until the player reaches form ssj3. Alt Ctrl Dlt will be disabled until the player reaches this form. The player shuts off the computer power? No problem, the team will code it in that ESF loads up the second the power is turned back on.

It only makes sense. The team is going through the trouble of adding it so then it needs to be appreciated, right?

Not a bad idea actually. I feel another suggestion thread coming =P

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The difference between your suggestion and mine is SSJ3 hasnt already been implemented by the team. The manual has. Your suggestion is to make them do it again in another form. If you want the noobs to learn to play the game by reading an ingame manual, fine. But they will have to read it if they want to play the game. Simple as that.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Sub said:
They're also adding ssj3. Since the team is going through the trouble of adding that, the player should be forced to play until they reach that form. The exit button in the main menu will be disabled. Typing exit in console will be disabled. Typing quit in console will be disabled. Hell, to avoid the trouble, console itself will be disabled until the player reaches form ssj3. Alt Ctrl Dlt will be disabled until the player reaches this form. The player shuts off the computer power? No problem, the team will code it in that ESF loads up the second the power is turned back on.

It only makes sense. The team is going through the trouble of adding it so then it needs to be appreciated, right?

Not a bad idea actually. I feel another suggestion thread coming =P
...?

I dont know, making someone have to read a manual before they can play is a bit much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom