DOOM: The Movie *WARNING: SPOILERS*

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The story of the movie was decided by the makers of Doom; Id Software. The story seen in the movie is exactly how they planned it (maybe not 100% what they wanted).

Bodies piled up to your shoulders? Corpses on pikes in barren wastelands? What does that have to do with Doom?

I agree with Deman stating that the story is based on the target audience. Why would you want to watch a movie when you already know what is going to happen due to you beating the game the movie is based on?

Besides what do you think they are doing with the Resident Evil movies? They are making it so the audience has no idea what is going to happen next.

Best answers
ah, very good point. Now that you guys mentioned it, yeah, better that they did change the story then.

Best answers
MC said:
Bodies piled up to your shoulders? Corpses on pikes in barren wastelands? What does that have to do with Doom?
didnt play the first 2 dooms dija? Soldiers on pikes writhering in pain as you plowed through demons were more common place than Ammo. :)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually I played Doom 1, Doom 2, and Final Doom. I do not remember soldiers on pikes or bodies piled up to my shoulders.

Besides I do not see where you are going with comparing a game with the movies Deman mentioned. Are you saying just due to the fact none of those movies had soldiers on pikes or bodies piled up to my shoulders that those movies were not sued?

I am really lost here...

Best answers
You never saw the soldiers or people stuck on the giant pikes in the ground?
Bodies piled up to your shoulders is exaduration, as the bodies would collapse through eachother, but at some points if they had had detection on that, i wouldint have been able to move from the room :)

couldint find any doom 1 screenies. but check out Infernol again if you still have it. There's pikes in the ground with badly animated corpses stuck on them.

*edit* to answer ur question. Im saying it b/c some people wonder why it wasnt true to the game. That is why. People piked up every second corridore and bodies hanging from chains in the walls and faces pressing up against fleshy wall stuff to scream at you is "bad" movie material.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I recall soldiers on spikes...

I just got back from watching this, and I must say it is the corniest movie I have seen in an incredibly long time. All of the cliche action movie archetypes were there except for a love interest, which was replaced by a more bearable brother-sister model. The acting was poor, the story was poor, and the tempo of the entire movie was confused and inconsistent. You jump from bad dialogue to quick action involving chasing the same thing around 10 corners only to have it disappear, and slow everything down. Oh noes! My flashlight went out when I got 10 feet away from the demon! Oheesss noooeess! My gun jammed when I tried to shoot the imp! What? Why have a shoot out when we can hand to hand fight to save the world!?

They didn't stick to Doom's story because Doom had no story. A rift opens to hell on mars... amazing... but how do you explain it? Just borrow from another story and call it the T-virus with a moral point of view. Note also that the virus itself was inconsistent, as it was turning the religious nut into a demon, and anyone who cuts himself for cursing is highly unlikely to be inherantly evil. Where were the Doom weapons, though? I saw lots of machineguns, a poorly replicated BFG, and a minigun that looked nothing like the one from the game and wasn't used on anything bigger than a monkey. No shotgun? God forbid you throw in a plasma rifle and make it futuristic or anything. Oh, and did anybody else notice that they had lights built into their weapons? Talk about blaspheming against the game.

The first person sequence was somewhat exciting but poorly editted and a strong example of why first person doesn't work on film. Anyone else notice sudden setting changes? All of a sudden there are two zombies 6 inches from his face when he turns around even though he'd just scanned over there, and I say inconsistency. Sure, this kind of crap happened all the time in Doom 3, but even in Doom 3 you saw them come out from behind something or make a noise. Those guys just teleported in for the ride. Cameras also do not pan as well as 3d rendering on a computer monitor will, for one reason or another, and so it was hard to see what was going on every time he swung the gun around, which he did frequently.

Somehow, even after all that, I don't think the movie was all that bad. It was an experiment, and I acknowledge it as such. The ending was actually worse than Doom 3's (short and unexciting), but that's also acceptable, considering they probably weren't planning on making enough money for a sequel from the get-go (and as such no reason to leave you off with an interesting ending). My questions are: What happened to his parents, and where the hell was the backup goat broadcasted for?

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Sonic ofcourse you won't enjoy a movie like Doom if you go in with all these high expectations. I went with the expectation of watching lots of random violence and blowing up of sht thats pretty much what the movie was. If i had wanted a movie with plot and depth i would have watched SAW 2 (watchin that tommorw). For random violence with no story nothing beats Doom. =P

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, I went in expecting exactly what I saw, I'm just commenting on why it isn't a very good movie. No sense in dumbing down a review to match 'game-movie' standards.

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I still say you put more thought in the actual review of the movie then the people who directed put in the movie. Doom never had/will have a proper story for a movie its just random violence but i guess your right.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Way too much thought. Which is interesting, because apparently the bad camera angles and dialog that you were so focused on distracted you from what you wanted to know.

His parents died in the archaeological dig on Mars, and he didn't like how his sister worked there. He thought that the place sort of killed them intentionally. They have a conversation about this when they talk about what lines of work they went into. If I recall, in the semi-flashback when he's looking out the window you hear them asking for his help and him as a kid saying he couldn't do it, I think. Even if that wasn't enough of an indication as to what happened to their parents...Rock walks in and says, "This is where they died, isn't it?"

And no one could go into the ark gateway on Earth until the lockdown ended anyhow--assuming the transmission ever got there. I mean...they were on Mars.

As for the religious guy, I have met many a devout person who are in fact complete scumbags. It's what makes people so devout. I once knew a girl whose mother very faithfully went to church every Sunday, and went to confession all the time high on cocaine--to confess she was doing cocaine, and feel like she wasn't doing anything wrong. Hence why I don't like religious people, to be honest. Lots of devout folks are not actually the pious people they seem like.

I agree that the movie could have been a lot better, that it lacked a proper amount of action and combat, and that it strayed very far from Doom's story and that it was to the movie's detriment. But I wasn't sitting there with a notebook looking for complaints or anything--I knew all of that was butched from the start. That other stuff, though--"The camera didn't pan well during the first person sequence"--is just nitpicking, I think.

The thing that sucks is the original script for this movie that I read years and years ago, made a long time back, was identical to the real story with some minor 'enhancement'...but the whole movie was the Doom guy doing the doom stuff, and almost all the dialog was just him narrating what was happening. It was pretty good...I wish they'd have done that instead.

Was it decent from a mindless action movie point of view? Yeah, the fighting was great, can't deny that. Even if Rock having superhuman strength as he died was BS, at least the fight was decent.

Either way I think it was one of those movies nobody would have ever been completely happy with. If they elaborated on his parents people would have said there was too much plot, if they had more gunfights people would call it mindless, and if it was too close to the game people would've called it boring. So unfortunately it seemed like a lose-lose situation. This wasn't a normal videogame movie, this was Doom--we've been waiting for it for like 7 or 8 years now. Maybe more. They could've at least done us a favor and stayed SEMI-faithful to the story. But I see where both you two (S and Sonic) are coming from. My view of it rather then think of how bad it is, is think of how much worse it could've been. And from that point of view it doesn't seem so bad.

Though the Rock was trying WAY too hard whenever he hard to swear.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dewd In Ћe Newd said:
Why is my post removed? I started this thread, wtf?
rebornMCW started a DOOM 3 thread before you, but in the videogaming section and no one noticed it and people went to your thread, and his got closed, but since he made it before you they just took your thread and changed it to his (it had more posts)

Best answers
Very intrestring movie, to bad that only 5 mins of end was 1-st person view, what btw was so hawt!. Well, 24th Cromosom (w/e you wirte that) Nice storyline tought. id give it a 7/10. The Rock pwned :p.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
24th Chromosome*

And the only good part was when Reaper went FPS and shot the hell out of everything. Then the rock died and I was satisfied (god i should be a poet) and it was good

Other than that the movie sucked ass.

24th chromosome my ass. And it "chooses" who's good and who's bad? yeah ****in' right. They should have stuck with the game.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good effects, spaztic cinematic approach, but that's what an FPS is all about.

Nonsense that you aim and shoot at first, think rationally second.

Wasn't feeling the way the story after Reaper got the Chromosone 24 injection, and how his sister suddenly had survived and was near the elevator with Sarge. Though, I guess Sarge helped her get there. It's plot holes such as this one, that I'll never enjoy.

Overall, I enjoyed it and it kept me involved in it's progress. I'll definately buy it on DVD.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
24th Chromosome*

And the only good part was when Reaper went FPS and shot the hell out of everything. Then *a spoiler from above post*

Other than that the movie sucked ass.

24th chromosome my ass. And it "chooses" who's good and who's bad? yeah ****in' right. They should have stuck with the game.
****! I was like, what kinda spoiler could ythis be, its probally not really a spoiler. I read it and BAM, my whole world got torn apart :'(

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kaination said:
****! I was like, what kinda spoiler could ythis be, its probally not really a spoiler. I read it and BAM, my whole world got torn apart :'(
Notice that the title has the words 'warning' and 'spoiler' in large capital letters. Don't read the thread unless you've seen the movie, otherwise you'll probably make some kind of post like this, which I would consider spam. Just making note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom