Discussion of Numbers

Best answers
I've been considering the relations between numbers and how they affect other factors. I'll keep this simple and open to feedback.

Topics:

1.) Natural Regeneration vs Cost
2.) Maximum Capacity

1.) Natural Regeneration or Drain has the highest influence on all factors of the game play, specifically in these areas:

Increasing Nat. Regen = Reduces KI Cost, Recharge Time, and Recharge Frequency

*I'll explain this first set.
*Cost is reduced as the Regeneration counters the Cost over time. 10 KI per second with a 10 KI cost per second = 0.
*Recharging KI stacks with Natural Regen, so that the overall Recharge Time is reduced.
*If simply standing around yields an increase in KI, then over 10 seconds with a 10 KI regen, you could regain all of your KI from 0 without Recharging. If you had no Natural Regeneration, you would be forced to Recharge to gain it all back. But overall, having a constant flow of KI will reduce the frequency of Recharging.

Increasing Natural Drain (or reducing Natural Regen) = Increases KI Cost, Recharge Time, and Recharge Frequency.

This is why adding a KI Drain to SSJ3 seems like such an ideal option, because it will reduce the overall KI efficiency and increase the amount of vulnerabilities in exchange for more power.

2.) Maximum Capacity

Increasing Maximum Capacity = Reduces Recharge Frequency, Increases Recharge Time.

The best example of this is in the current ESF, where when a player Transforms, their Maximum KI improves. It allows players to be more mobile and push for longer, but it increases the amount of time it takes for them to recover, as Recharge Rates all remain the same. (I believe this is the current way it works?)

So there are also two types of Costs: Static and Percentage.

-When a Static cost remains, it allows a move to be used more often.
-When a Percentage cost is used, it retains the same amount of usage, but it takes longer to recover.

Now I make this thread simply as a form of analysis in balancing numbers. There are a variety of ways to tackle a single problem and create varying alternatives, namely between the different states of Turbo in relation to Transformations. For one player, Turbo could allow a large capacity of moves to be used, but they would have a longer downtime (Buu). For another player, Turbo could increase the frequency of recharging, but reduce the amount of time it takes (Krillin). And for these two examples, there are probably 3 different ways I could suggest to do them each, all with different effects on other parts of the game play.

So consider that changing numbers is something that can be done and tested individually before and after release, and they can open up different avenues of modifying the game play and differentiating characters without any hard coding required.

SSJ3, for example, instead of having a KI Drain normally, could have a reduced Natural KI Regeneration and incorporate a Drain on Turbo and Charged Turbo.

Instead of Turbo/Charged Turbo having these effects, BP Turbo could manipulate the numbers to do the same. Increase KI Recharge, Natural Regen, Reduce Costs, Increase Max Capacity, etc.

I'm planning a follow-up thread that will have a layout of ideas for Non-Turbo, Turbo, and Charged Turbo states using different number schematics.

Last edited:
Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
while I didn't read the whole concept I wanna take one thing ahead, if u give anyone in ESF anythign for free, free ki free hp or something over time, they will make a run for it, literally and that would lead to a run and hide behaviour especially with maps that have enough space for that.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unless you make it painfully slow like Buu's regeneration.

Best answers
Well it can't hurt to have a pre-discussion before I consider making another thread. Or maybe just talk it out here either way.

To respond to what you're saying, Raven, you're right about it encouraging a defensive course of action. A person with a higher Natural Regeneration would benefit from extending the fight. However, coupled with a few setbacks, this wouldn't be the case at all.

Lets say hypothetically that Non-Turbo awarded a higher Natural KI Regen rate. It would allow them a lot more mobility and reduce the chances of them being attacked, since they wouldn't be recharging as often.

To counter this however, we reduce the swoop speed, so while they may be able to swoop indefinitely, it will be a lot slower. (Swoop costs may not need to vary with Turbo enabled if this is the case). Power Level would remain at its Base, and when Transformed, there would only be a slight increase in Power Level. So if you're SSJ3 in Non-Turbo, you'll have the same PL as SSJ1 with Turbo enabled, or something similar. So not only is the player doing significantly less damage, but IF they are hit, they take more damage.

Turbo is where PL is gained from Transformations, and especially Charged Turbo. Like up to 100% based on Charge length, but for regular Turbo, maybe 30%. This means Transformations are equaled out more since Base PL is a majority of the PL a lot of the time. Transformations make Turbo a little stronger, but are mostly realized with Charged Turbo enabled, which is temporary in nature.

BP is capped at 1 bar while in Non-Turbo, while in Turbo/Charged Turbo, it can go up to 3. If a player turns off Turbo before using it, it's reduced to 1.

As incentive to fight, a player naturally regenerates BP up to 1 bar while in Non-Turbo so that they can chain BP 1 into their melee attacks more frequently. It does less damage with a lower PL however, unless the user has a much greater PL advantage, giving them the illusion of being "uncatchable" AND powerful. We can agree that a person with SSJ3 against a Non-Trans would have a ridiculous advantage to begin with anyway, so this is balanced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom