Demon's Source Mapping

We Gotta Power!!!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
ESF mildly inspired me to do some mapping of my own the only way I know how ( So far ). I've used the new version of hammer for so long, once I go to use the goldsrc version I feel mildly limited ( I tried mapping for Ragnorok Arena once, that dead sidescroller deathmatch half life mod )

Anyway, I made a couple dinky maps for Garry's Mod which I plan on improving once I finish my newest mapping project. I got some nice screenshots and excuses of why they look a little poopy. Also I was a bit too lazy to resize some of these images, so I somewhat apologize for how large some of them may be. I'll just link the first two maps' workshop pages so you can see the screenshots from there.

I'm not 100% proud of my recent DBZ-themed works, gm_namek and gm_cellgames, though I'm much better with indoor environments.

gm_cellgames -- On the workshop

- My first dbz-themed map, I mainly made it as a test map for a gmod gamemode I have planned for the future, which is my only excuse for the poor lighting and displacement work.

Workshop Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152278375

gm_namek -- On the workshop

- I made this on my own accord but put it as my priority at the time due to a fan request. If I had the ability to make working models for the source engine I'd have added decent looking namekian housing, but at least I modified ( obviously ) the skybox to have 3 suns, grass to be blue and water to be green, which in my head was enough to somewhat represent planet namek.

Workshop Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157286190

gm_worldtourney -- WIP

- My newest creation. I will take as long as I have to, to make it look and feel almost just like the larger tournament grounds in the second half of DBZ. I'll definitely strive to make this my best outdoor map yet! No textures yet but I wont add any until this ***** has more finalized geometry.

Screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/0sHmgSF.jpg

And here's a small example of my capabilities in an indoor environment:
YdoWGp1.jpg

So that it for now, all done showing off. Any thoughts or suggestions? I obviously need practice with displacements but maybe experienced source mappers might have methods of making things like the namekian houses with brushes without looking ugly / blocky. As for cell games I know the lighting isn't the best but the textures I used didn't compliment the map very well to begin with, next time I'll make some custom textures that look a bit more anime-ish like the series.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The tournament map looks nice, but the stairs should line up with the stands.

Also if you are going for actual DBZ look, then the doors were in the middle of the stands and stairs going up and down.

But yea looks good so far.

As for the old version being limited. You can do some crazy shit with it if you play round with the right stuff ^^

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
ESF mildly inspired me to do some mapping of my own the only way I know how ( So far ). I've used the new version of hammer for so long, once I go to use the goldsrc version I feel mildly limited ( I tried mapping for Ragnorok Arena once, that dead sidescroller deathmatch half life mod )

Anyway, I made a couple dinky maps for Garry's Mod which I plan on improving once I finish my newest mapping project. I got some nice screenshots and excuses of why they look a little poopy. Also I was a bit too lazy to resize some of these images, so I somewhat apologize for how large some of them may be. I'll just link the first two maps' workshop pages so you can see the screenshots from there.

I'm not 100% proud of my recent DBZ-themed works, gm_namek and gm_cellgames, though I'm much better with indoor environments.

gm_cellgames -- On the workshop

- My first dbz-themed map, I mainly made it as a test map for a gmod gamemode I have planned for the future, which is my only excuse for the poor lighting and displacement work.

Workshop Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152278375

gm_namek -- On the workshop

- I made this on my own accord but put it as my priority at the time due to a fan request. If I had the ability to make working models for the source engine I'd have added decent looking namekian housing, but at least I modified ( obviously ) the skybox to have 3 suns, grass to be blue and water to be green, which in my head was enough to somewhat represent planet namek.

Workshop Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157286190

gm_worldtourney -- WIP

- My newest creation. I will take as long as I have to, to make it look and feel almost just like the larger tournament grounds in the second half of DBZ. I'll definitely strive to make this my best outdoor map yet! No textures yet but I wont add any until this ***** has more finalized geometry.

Screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/0sHmgSF.jpg

And here's a small example of my capabilities in an indoor environment:
View attachment 2255

So that it for now, all done showing off. Any thoughts or suggestions? I obviously need practice with displacements but maybe experienced source mappers might have methods of making things like the namekian houses with brushes without looking ugly / blocky. As for cell games I know the lighting isn't the best but the textures I used didn't compliment the map very well to begin with, next time I'll make some custom textures that look a bit more anime-ish like the series.
this is look ok for starting (i dont know anything like that i don't know how to do it) on what program are you using and how there is a tutorial can you give me i want to start learning a 3d and more edit
Thank you for help

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks good, though I think you need some good references. I flipped through the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai of the manga, but it doesn't have anything solid. I've noticed that in your map, the space between the arena and the tribunes is almost as big as the arena itself, which is not the case in the manga (at least the 25th TB). If you want to, I can check out the other instances of it in the manga and see if there are any good references for use.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
My favorite map was actually the cellgames, liked the geometry of the landscape! However the skybox combined with water reflection on the Namek map is very powerful. I would like to see more of your work, especially some work in progress where you update your project frequently so that we may give you some constructive critics instead of commenting on already finished works.

One funny thing is that, for me, the indoors map does not look as much, but I guess this is due to the textures making it look very Quake II-ish and "square" .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom