Death of Nintendo?

Sony PSP vs. Nintendo 'Dual Screen.' Which will win?

• Sony's PSP. Duh. Have you seen it?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Games from two perspectives! Replayability, switching attention! DS! Yay! *twirls around*

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
guncon123 said:
the n64 releaced the zelda siries , mario 64 and waverace64. then they domanited the psx but them FinalFanticy 6 or 8 came out i think. over all the <b>n64 owned untill ps2 and xbox</b> i think they will make a new system that will catch yhem up and they WILL get back up in the lead
Where do you make up this crap? You couldn't be any more wrong.
Playstation came out in December of 94, and by the end of that December it had sold 5 million units. Compared to the 1.7 million units N64 sold when it was released. (Numbers care of IGN)

As of Sept.1999, Sony had sold more than 70 million of its PlayStation consoles, while Nintendo trailed behind, with sales of just 28.7 million N64 units. (Source CNNMoney

So guncon123, since you're basically making up everything you've said in this thread, about friend's uncle being "co-manager" of Nintendo, owning a PS3 which isn't even out yet, and making up stupid crap saying that Nintendo dominated the marked until PS2 and Xbox emerged, why not try posting something legit?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Didn't I reply to a topic just like this a while back? Anyway, yah, I think Nintendo needs to get with the program, these days, kids dont want to play crappy ass adventure games, nobody likes that stupid plumber anymore, They need to start making better games and better systems (Purple and Grey... for a Gamecube? Nintendo 64 was probably the only descent looking system, and possibly the best one).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Metroid, Zelda, Mario, the list goes on."

No, it really doesn't. lol

My reasons for thinking the PSP will finish off the handheld stranglehold Nintendo has on the market once and for all, is really very simple: the DS is going to have Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. Everyone will apparently re-buy the first five of these on the most ridiculous of principles alone, even though we've all already played and paid for them multiple times over the course of our lives.

For the really young kids, the Zeldas and Marios (and other assorted rehash) of the 64/GC era were relatively new. But this time we're going to be getting served up third and fourth generation remake fodder. Meanwhile, Sony has licensing from dozens of developers who will make all kinds of interesting and new games, as well as several generally more innovative franchise games as well. Plus it might even have backward compatibility (not sure on that one), meaning the full library of PS2 and PSX games. There is no way it will be priced so far differently than the other one; remember, Sony makes licensing money off of game developers, whereas Nintendo doesn't. This results in two things:

1.) Nintendo's dev teams are scattered like corn nuggets in a healthy buttbiscuit, putting out like 4-7 half-assed games every month or two, while Sony has a constant stream of new releases of various different kinds.

and 2.) Sony's library is infinitely larger, and in the end, much more profitable for both developers and Sony itself.

And Cuc, you are infinitely correct about Miyamoto--his "Fisher Priceified" ideas for the games, and the retarded thing he keeps doing where he puts popular games' main characters in OTHER KINDS of games, are two of the most idiotic business decisions ever made. They aren't going to survive the three way dance with Microsoft and Sony if they don't come out swinging.

Instead they're trying to cheat their way through it. And that's why I'm pretty certain Nintendo's gonna bomb out. They've already been on the ropes most of the last two years. They just don't keep their promises to fans anymore; haven't for close to five years.

I think that nintendo fans are just buying on principle alone now. All the talk about Windwaker, for instance...I played that game, you know. My friend let me borrow his gamecube for a week (that's how interested he is, he was willing to part with it for 8 days or so without even the slightest second thought). I played Windwaker and I found the "stunning gameplay" to be pretty dull. It didn't draw me in at all; maybe it was just me, but it didn't feel right anymore. I felt like I was trapped in hell and playing some bastardized version of my favorite nintendo series of all time, except this version had been designed expressly to piss me off. So I stopped playing after a grand total of maybe two hours play time. Even my friend was like, "...alright, yeah, this was a waste of my money."

Nintendo will fail. The Mario Kids have to grow up sooner or later, right?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, first things first. If any of you want this thread to "stay afloat", I suggest you avoid comments such as the ones made previously telling someone that they are "full of it" for posting their opinions. Even if facts are inflated in this thread, it gives you NO RIGHT to do anything that is remotely a flame, and let me remind you, since this seems to slip through my cautionary posts almost every time, this is NOT AN OPTION. Consider this a global friendly warning. I never like they way these threads end up, and they almost always end up the same way, so watch it, gents.

On to the topic, now: I doubt Nintendo will die off from the PSP vs DS competition. The Gamecube may not be the top-selling system here in North America, but, let's face it, it isn't doing all that poorly, either (poor Dreamcast :(). Even then, Nintendo still has their Japanese sales to fall back on if worse comes to worse. The Gamecube and the PS2 are completely destroying the X-Box in Japan, and, for some reason, and DON'T quote me on this, I have a wierd hunch that the DS will probably sell reasonably well in Japan...it just seems like the kind of thing that would become trendy there, but, as was said earlier, only time will tell.

Another thing, and I mentioned this in the lasts PSP thread I saw - I would love a PSP, but I am willing to bet that the price tag will hold me off for quite some time until I can either get one used or until the price is in my range. That's not to say the DS will be cheap either. If they are gonna compete with the DS, it may have to be a powerful handheld as well, and that might but its price well out of my range as well

From my standpoint, why not just work harder and get the systems you want. If you are so devoted to this industry that you'd argue your choice in systems till the bitter end, I'd think you'd have the drive to save up some money or some time to give every console its fair share. Hell, if I weren't so pinch-penny, I'd probably have an X-Box just to cover the range of games I can't get with my PS2 and GCN! I personally think that ownership has too much to do with this argument. People defend the systems/companies they own products of, and some people don't have the time and patience to give other systems a try, but that's just my bit.

I cannot vote in the poll because I don't know enough about both systems to make an educated choice, particularly the DS, PSP clips have been released, but nothing from the DS, so I don't see how it'd be fair to expect such a vote at this time ;)

Best answers
Gotta miss the days when it was a 'Sega Vs. Nintendo' debate that was going on, and not 'Sony Vs. Nintendo'...

:(

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, but Sega was always better than Nintendo. :rolleyes: Sega had the more mature games, as well as the deeper color graphics.

True, Nintendo had its classics, but Sega always shone brightest in my opinion. Sega was always more popular then Nintendo in Japan, the only problem was that they couldn't market their products in the USA very well, or get enough of their great RPGs translated.

The Saturn was a horrible failure in the USA.. N64 was a horrible failure in Japan..
Dreamcast did okay in the US, and did very well in Japan. It was an unexpected time for them to drop US support for it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, but Sega was always better than Nintendo
Your opinion. Nintendo has lasted longer than Sega. Genesis sucked, Dreamcast sucked... Wait, what other systems did Sega make?

Oh, they're dead.

Best answers
Personally, I can't stand consoles nor can I stand handhelds. Give me a computer with a keyboard and mouse and im as happy as a clam.

To voice my opinion on this matter though, I can't see Sony "taking Nintendo down" with one mere handheld, which will probobly cost more than a computer. Nintendo hasn't done well as of late, infact the last good thing to come out of nintendo was the SNES (probobly by far the best console EVER made). I'd take a SNES over an x-box or PS2 any day of the week.

Anyway, Nintendo and Sony have different fanbases too. Sony aims for the older age groups, where nintendo is for children and severly immature teenagers (the ones that do nothing else but play these games where there like 15).

Anyway, i'v always hated Sony anyway...
Go nintendo go! \o/

Best answers
You could never say that Sega sucked, I had a Genises, a NES and a SNES and I was always playing my Genises more often than the others. As for DC sucking, I thought it kicked ass, especially if your into importing, it could also play CDRs.
And why are people so worried about Nintendo? They beat Xbox sales last christmas because their practically giving it away.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, Prince. Genesis had a much more mature selection of games, didn't horribly censor their games (one example, Genesis Mortal Kombat had gross, bloody Fatalities, and the SNES version did not) and had a richer set of colors.

If you say Genesis "sucked," you obviously hardly played it at all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, Prince. Genesis had a much more mature selection of games, didn't horribly censor their games (one example, Genesis Mortal Kombat had gross, bloody Fatalities, and the SNES version did not) and had a richer set of colors.
Yeah, Alea. Genesis did have a much more mature selection of games, and they didn't horribly censor them. Mortal Kombat totally sucks, though. I can't stand any of those games. Nintendo had Mario, I loved that **** when I was a child. The only game I ever played on any type of Sega system was Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis. It's the only game I will actually refer to as 'good.' All other Sega games suck balls, baby.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Prince, are you talking about "Sega" games or "Sega Genesis" games? The Genesis shared a whole lot of games with the SNES so watch where you toss your insults. I'd say the SNES was its superior but the Genesis did have some good fighting games on it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Prince, are you talking about "Sega" games or "Sega Genesis" games?
I don't know. I didn't really care for any of Sega's games, whether if it was for the Genesis or the Dreamcast. I don't even know if they made another system. =/ I have no background knowledge on Sega. I'm just sharing how I feel about some of its games. They all seemed pretty dull to me. I think I'd rather play a handheld system.

I don't know what the hell I'm talking about..

Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
So guncon123, since you're basically making up everything you've said in this thread, about friend's uncle being "co-manager" of Nintendo, owning a PS3 which isn't even out yet, and making up stupid crap saying that Nintendo dominated the marked until PS2 and Xbox emerged, why not try posting something legit?

WRONG YOUJ WAIT PRIME!

KyoKusanagi

K
Umm back on track here:
Official stats of the SNES state that it had a slower clock speed than the Genesis\Megadrive but a larger palette of colours to choose from in addition to a larger maximum number of colours on screen at a time. I'm not too sure what the exact value was but ill find out and post it here. This is why games such as Lethal Enforcers ran faster on the Genesis and why more arcade faithful Neo-geo Coin Op games were better on the Genesis even though they looked and sounded better on the SNES...just (have you played Art of Fighting on the SNES...Dude that that was bad!)

Also, Nintendo had better sound than the Sega systems up till the Nintendo 64 because they used Sony sound processing chips in their systems rather than Sega's in house proprietary chips - though i think with the Saturn and Dreamcast they used Yamaha.

The Genesis was a very capable system and by that i mean that Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtua Racer are available for the system.

Best answers
Dark Matter said:
, nobody likes that stupid plumber anymore, They need to start making better games and better systems QUOTE]

WHY I AUGHTA KICK YO @$$ IF YOU EVER MAKE FUN OF HIM I WILL PERSONALLY FIND U AND KICK YOUR @%#

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WHY I AUGHTA KICK YO @$$ IF YOU EVER MAKE FUN OF HIM I WILL PERSONALLY FIND U AND KICK YOUR @%#
Relax, sir. It's not the end of the world. I'm sure he didn't mean that.

Right, Dark Matter?

Best answers
Guncon, I really like nintendo, but seriously, I hate Mario and Luigi.

Isn't this getting waaay off topic, someone should make a thread about the war of the consoles or something.

Best answers
Ive always thought Link should have been Nintendo's main trademark,,,not mario. Mario is just a stupid plumber.....whose best games werent his platform jumpers, but his go cart racing.

And as for the Genesis. Dont even bother arguing that one, its aincient history and from how badly the SNES walloped the genesis in sales and longevity...it definetly isnt worth it.

Out of curiosity though,,,,does the SNES have the record for most games produced for a single console? Because dear sweet jeebus there was millions of games for that sys.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um, no. Genesis/Megadrive had better sales and longevity than SNES/Super FamiCom did worldwide, SNES just happened to do better in the US.

Playstation 1 has the record for most games produced for a single console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom