Create a girl course, with Hazardous.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hey ESF guys, i wanted to make a thread showing what i've been working on. but the character limit here is 10,000 characters. and well.... the original posts are a bit longer than that and i'm not going to break them up, so here's an image and a link to the polycount thread for those interested in the course, and how i went about it.

the course is still running, and i'm writing up all my progress as i go so people can (hopefully) learn from it.

[video=youtube;ZrWF0cTqwK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrWF0cTqwK0[/video]

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98115

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The part were her back hollows in seems to be too high. It makes her ass look way too long.. Well that's my opinion anyway. Note that It doesn't seem unnatural as it is now, but the way it seems now makes her look older around the hip part.
I like the wrinkles in the suit. Though maybe a bit overdone at the knees.

I'd still like a fullsized copy of that in my bedroom though.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good shit, Lee. For some reason the image won't fully load, but from watching the video the model looks really well done. Impressive as always.

If I'm not lazy, perhaps I'll edit this post with something actually useful to say in the upcoming days!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bit of an update (well... the latest update in the polycount thread anyway, i have another one coming shortly).

Week 4 - details, details, details!

Week 4 is the final week of sculpting. by the end of the week we all hoped to be done with our high-poly meshes and begin looking toward making the final low poly meshes.

so this week i spent a little time finishing up the forms of the character, following up on feedback (note the ass crack), adjusting proportions and finally, adding details. details here means wrinkles and folds in the different clothes she is wearing. i didn't want to add any type of wrinkles or blemishes to the skin in the high poly, those will be left to the texture if they're even added much at all.

so now we get onto the subject of wrinkles... folds in cloth. and it's a lot simpler than you might expect. just about all wrinkles or folds can be catagarized in one of three:

• Crunching - this is the most common. crunching occurs when material is compacted into a smaller space. it most often happens at joints like the elbow, or when a sleeve is pushed up. but you can even see it in a long dress which looks "wavy" when really the cloth is compacted at the waist creating crunches which are really big and smooth by the time they reach the uncompressed bottom of the dress.
  • Twisting - like the name suggests, when cloth becomes twisted you can get some pretty interesting folds, they almost always follow the angle of the twist... a simple way to demonstrate this is to create a cylinder in your app of choice, make it 5 sided and no segments along its length, and simply rotate the vertices at one end. the angle of the edges is where the fold would be if it were fabric, and the more twisted the fabric becomes the more extreme the angle.
  • Pinching - pinching generally occurs when two or more "crunch hotspots" meet. the best example is usually the armpit. you have crunching from the chest fabric AND the sleeve fabric, everything is all trying to get bunched up together and takes the line of least resistance, usually resulting in star shaped folds radiating from the centre.

here's an image of what i tried to accomplish.

i tried as much as possible to simply visualise this on my mesh, trying to think about where wrinkling would occur most, and also to bear in mind the material it's happening on. for example:

• the main body of the character is covered in a largely skintight material, like a leotard on an athelete. the wrinkles here had to be subtle, not overpowering or distracting. they had to show that it was fabric, but not that it was the centre of attention.
  • the boots and jacket are leather, they needed nice big bold creases and folds... the tougher a fabric is the bigger the folds will tend to be as more effort is needed to fold it in the first place.
  • the gloves are made of silk, silk tends to fold very easily and not be too resistant to force. rogues gloves look like they should be elbow length but they're down by her wrists, this adds up to a pretty big bunch of fabric all bundled above the wrist... being silk this meant lots of folds!

another note here is that it's NOT super important to be neat and tidy. most folds aren't! having "perfect" lines and edges in your folds will make them look un-natural, realism is about imperfections (in my opinion). so loosten up!

at the same time as all of this there were a couple of things i was conscious of:

• some of the folds should really only be there if the character were in motion or in a particular pose.
  • the character can't be in all poses at once so it's important to choose which folds you want in there... it's a functionality vs artistic thing, i guess?
  • try to make sure that even your subtle folds are going to be picked up by the normalmap, and that leads to...
  • when your character is wearing a skintight outfit, the cloth must always fold OUT! how can it fold in if there's a human body in the way?

and finally, here's a turntable of the final high-poly.

[video=youtube;0qDVicwyMJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qDVicwyMJM[/video]

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
⚡Sūpā Regula-jin
Best answers
woow.. it very nice !.

Discord Member
Best answers
she's CLEARLY not wearing a bra .... yet i see no nipples :/

khekhekhe

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Daaammmnnn Girl, you here often?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
cheers Elcor.

it was actually a toss up between Rogue and Supergirl... might do SG next, not sure yet. got a lot on my plate!

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can tell a lot about ones modeling skill by looking at the asses he makes.

Nice job man!

Best answers
hey Gir, nice model, maybe one of your best so far, you started to improve!

About the folds you made, they look sharp in all directions and have no connection with the rest of the cloth, one big mistake that all the people do this days,
the folds in general have a bit of volume they are sharp where they connect bringing out a little volume then they fade away connecting with the rest of the cloth, is not good to use pinch and go easy and work with a low level back and forth, first bringing out the big volumes. There are different folds of different material of cloths, you need to understand what they don't have in common as time when someone only look at you mesh to know from what is made, without the texture. Maybe use photoreferences for a year or two until your hand will start to move by itself. I am still using sometimes references even if I am a senior now so is always good.

Aside of that you made some folds that looks totally unatural, like the pocket from jacket, the knee, the back of the knee, it shows you use your mind instead of your hand.
My advice don't think, don't work like a shoe maker now, and be inspired like an artist and let the hand think for yourself.
When is a about cloths, photoreferences are your best friend, same for the anatomy.

Speaking of anatomy now. With regards to the face, I don't know if you wanted to go human like since Rogue is a more fantasy character, but if you wanted to go human then the anatomy it needs a bit of revision, the neck for instance is to long, if you bring the head down a bit you will see looks better, look behind the cloths too, underneath is skin.
The volumes of the face in general needs more work to show that underneath there is a skull. The shoulders are to narrow, the jaw and lips has no volume, muscles. The jaw from profile is to sharp, the ears needs a lot more attention.

None the less good work and I can't wait to see what more you'll bring out next.

looking forward to the texture, keep up the good work all

> This is Bushidou just forgot my password and my email I registered with, so I had to make a new account <
still love you guys

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Damn Lee, you sure have come a long way over the years. You doing this professionally yet?

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
That's an awesome Rogue model man

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Beautiful model sir, I'd totally hit that. ^_^ No but for real, that its very pretty.
I know this is minor complain, i just wish she had a cooler looking expression on her face.
As far as the model goes, I cant see anything wrong with it. Excellent work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom