Collecting info about lower frame rates...

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im only making this a sticky for acouple days, just need to collect some info...

Answer the following questions please.
---------

1) What are your computer specifications? Mainly looking for cpu speed, ram, video card, and render mode ( software, open gl, or direct 3d )

2) How big is the FPS decrease compaired to Beta 1.0?

3) Is the FPS loss map specific? If so, what maps?

4) Does your FPS decrease during specific events? If so, please list them.

5) Go in the console and type in "cl_dusttrails 0" without the quotes. Post
a) Your Fps with cl_dusttrails enabled and disabled
and / or
b) If you notice an improvement after a decent amount of gameplay.

6) Same as above, just type in "cl_fxquality 0".
Note - cl_fxquality has 3 different settings.
1 = Low
2 = Medium
3 = high
2 is the default

7) Any other info that you think might help us figure out whats triggering the FPS loss.

---------

I'm only setting one rule for this post, so please follow it.
Only post information answering the above questions. I do not want to see any post that does not deal with the FPS loss.

And like usual, your help is greatly appreciated :)

Best answers
i experience lagg, i got the full patch, against bots and online, i got vsync off,
and the most of the lagg is from dust trails (20-30fps some times)

i got a
AMD xp +2100
Nvidia Geforce4 4600Ti
512ddram
K7 nforce2 motherboard MSi, i did never experience lagg in 1.0

with dusttrails 0, the lagg is decreased alot, but still a bit laggier then 1.0.

the lagg is on all maps.

Best answers
AMD Athlon 2000+ (256kb L2)
GF4Ti4200 128MB (standard clock)
512MB DDR PC2100 (Dual Channel)
EPoX 8RDA+
1280*1024 D3D

not sure bout the decrease but its by quite a bit (only with several players/bots in game) and my internet lag has also increased quite a bit (played a game with a guy that had 32kB/s UL with a ping of 200 and it was only him and me) and ive also experienced several "warning: connection problem"

the fps drop is NOT map specific

as stated earlier it only drops when there are several players ingame (runs fine with 4 players)

havent tried the console commands since im reinstalling hl/esf in a bit and it has already been uninstalled (had an odd bug that wouldnt let me connect to more than one game pr HL session)

EDIT: after playing for an hour or so with 4 bots battling each other and me making marks on the ground :D it will drop to about 10 - 20 fps when i look at the arena and there is also a huge drop in fps if i charge ki on the ground and look up (so the camera is placed directly under the character)

EDIT #2: everything is set to max and filtering is set to linear_mipmap_linear

and to maxl: lag isnt a drop in fps but when your internet latency is high (which might make it seem as a loss in fps)

Best answers
uh no ****, i saw the fps, and i played on lan with bots same thing as online.

Best answers
To maxl: but that still doesnt change the fact that lag and fps dropping is 2 completely different things

if your fps drops it means either its *hint* bad coding *hint* or ur pc isnt good enough (but urs is good enough so that isnt the problem)

if u lag that means that there is a delay in response from when u move ur mouse or press a key on ur keyboard (and lag only happens when u play online, unless theres something seriously wrong with ur net-card)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AMD XP 1500+
512 MB DDR RAM
GeForce 2 Ti (200)
Running HL in Open GL - 1024*768 (since ESF - before 1280)

deaktivating dusttrails make much more fps
lower the fxquality ... just a lil bit (btw ... cl_fyquality 0 = disable)

fps are going down in free maps (like guru and island)
and/ or if all are using beams
and/ or special events (TR - Aura - powerup ...)

Best answers
Pentium4 1.7 ghz
256 MB SDR RAM
Nvidia GeForce2 MX 100/200 (46 MB)

I don't remember there was any noticeable fps decrease in Beta 1.0, the only time is if three players are in the same spot doing transformation/power up. other than that, there wasn't any really.
Generally my fps was around 60

In Beta1.1, I first noticed the decrease in guru map, but then it hapened in all maps. I didn't see it happen during a specific event, at one occasion I was playing with a good fps then it suddenly dropped! i don't know why. Sometimes it drops to 10 fps!
The only time i could relate it to an event is when the server admin added bots.

Oh, and i just remembered that I also noticed that once there was a minor ping "loss" or "chock" and my fps droped like crazy, this might be one of the reason, but I can't really confirm that yet.

I "killed" all visuals and eyecandy .. no change at all!

I noticed also that after I added some mp3 stuff to my playlist, fps dropped crazy (reaaal crazy). So I emptied my playlist .. but that didn't fix it! I think it was that specific server I was trying to join, or .. I don't really remember what happened after that. =P

I will try to pay more attention to ping loss and chock and see if it has anything to do with it.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
1) 1000mhz
512mb Ram
133mhz clock speed
Geforce 2 GTS 32mb/ OpenGL and Direct3d

2) decreased around 5 to 10 fps. (depends on map)

3) water maps. and huge maps.

4) unknown

5) only a few Fps higher.

6) have this default on 2

7) I found 1. the POWERUP to charge you'r ki is lowering my FPS more then 10 fps.

Best answers
i noticed that fps drops when someone joins/leaves the game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1) Pentium II 350MHz, Windows 98 (With All Critical And Recommended Updates), 256MB RAM, GeForce 2 MX 64MB, OpenGL 1024x768.

2) About a 10 FPS increase in v1.1b. In ESF v1.0b my FPS was pretty crappy, and the game played as "FPS Lagyy" as it showed, but now in ESF v1.1b, even though my FPS are only slightly better, the game plays like my FPS are 70+.

3) I'd say about 90% of the time when my FPS drops it is due to map r_speeds. The maps that stand out are AFC_Budokai, AFC_Namek_2, ESF_Guru, GSF_GottesPalast, S2K_GreatTournament, & S2K_SnakeWay_v2

4) Hmm, when there are alot of ki balls (including scatter shot and rez.) & transformations, right at the peak (when the model changes) but I'm thinking that is system-related.

5) ENABLED: 10-28 ~ DISABLED: 20-55

6) HIGH: 20-55 MEDIUM: N/A LOW: N/A ~ I have mine set to high by default.

7) One thing that might be a problem is the models; it seems as if they were made normal size (Like models from any other mod) and then scaled down (Like what can be done in HL Model Viewer). I believe if they were made small to begin with that might increase FPS a bit.

Best answers
AMD Athlon 1.4ghz Overclocked to 1.9ghz (2400+)
512mb of DDR
Geforce 4 MX440

the ONLY time it drops is when there is about 30 odd players... but other than that it is 100fps all the way!

Best answers
I noticed this on esf_guru

When I looked Up My FPS went higher (around 59-60), when I looked down my FPS went lower (around 39-40). I don't know if this is anything but here are my stats anyway:

Video card: Geforce 4 ti 4600, Ram: 768 mb pc133 sdram, processor: 1.7 ghz (pentium 4)

Best answers
256 RAM
Geforce 4 ATI
Athlon +2000

average 85 fps all the time, but i cant ever play online, the servers are awful and LAG is a HIGH, other than that FPS didnt change.

but FPS drops when your looking directly into a object item I.E charged blast, looking at lots of players on your screen, looking into the power ups and etc at close range

Best answers
1) AMD XP 2100+ [Water Cooled]
Gefore 4 128 MB [also Water Cooled]
512MB RAM
120 GB HDD
1024*800 [Opel GL]
T3 connection

2)It was around 135 with beta 1.0, with 1.1, it's around 115/120

3)Not really, in big maps like guru and riverside the FPD is always lower.

4)Yeah, if 2 or more ppl are transforming at the same time, close to eachother...

5)115/120 enabled, 125/130 disabled

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom