Client's Ping Slows Down Server?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Today, I was playing on a squad server in Battlefield 2142, and my average ping was around 150. About a couple of minutes later, one of the players starts telling me to leave the server because I was slowing it down. Eventually, this individual started spouting insults and such, then left (or was kicked/banned since this person wouldn't stop insulting me) after seeing me not reply to anything (I usually don't say anything unless I need to, which in this case, I didn't need to). Apparently my ping wasn't too much of a problem since PunkBuster seems to kick people who have pings over 200, and mine never went that high, though I was the only one in that server who had a ping of over 100.

Anyway, is it true that a client can slow down a server with having a high ping? If so, then please explain how. I'm curious to know more about this.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes it can. How I have no idea. But I remember playing ESF and everything would be fine and dandy until this one guy came in with like 2000 ping (****ing dial-up) and the server would lag like hell. It's one reason they created AMX mods that kick people with a ping of 250 or higher, or whatever set ping you decide to set it at. It auto-kicks people with that certain ping or higher.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Usually, if the guy had a crap net connection with bad upstream speed and had a number of players on his server, it will generally lag other people up too. Also, if he lives in a different country or a further away location from you (another state perhaps), this is what can factor your ping.

I myself have to put up with dial up atm, mainly because my mum is a n00b and claims she can't afford dsl when literally she is a idiot and is paying more for slow internet because of phone bills when you add up the cost of my dial up and each time I connect.... I get around 300+ ping on my mates CS source server when there are about 2 other players on his server depending on their connection, speed, where they live etc. My mate that runs the server and another friend that usually plays with us live pretty close to me too. My mate that runs the server has dsl2+, which has 1mb upstream speed.

Usually when I play with my mates I get 180-240 ping usually. I won't have to put up with dial up for much longer though when my inheritance gets sorted :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom