changing light levels

Best answers
ok, after i made the bsp file and it was done compiling the light was still to bright and i was wondering if there was a way to make the light level darker w/o recompiling the map like if i could edit the bsp file somehow

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you used light_evironment (dunno if the rest are the same) assuming you are doing an outdoor map. Then click on the entity, hit ALT + ENTER then a box comes up, Go to brightness and the last number (default set to 200) lower that and then there is pitch as well to give you shadows and such. I think -40 gives you pretty good shadows. I am still looking for a really good advanced lighting tutorial, I want to know what I am doing :rolleyes:.

Oh and in the top right corner of that box there is a black circle with a white line, whichever way that white pointer thing is pointing is which way your shadows go. So just rotate it to control the directions of your shadows.

*EDIT* And it has to be recompiled, try it in a basic map (like 1 block with textures) then play with the lighting, once you find it just right apply it to your map. And if it still comes fullbright it means that your light_environment cannot hit every part of your map, so raise it up. *EDIT*

This is my perception of lighting, if I am wrong, I want to learn too :]

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also you can bind a light entity to a brush, it's a lot of work, but it should give you the best lighting.

Best answers
to get nicer shadows i sometimes place weak light entities in certain spots of the map

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ScavengeR said:
to get nicer shadows i sometimes place weak light entities in certain spots of the map
You kind of have to since you get really dark shadows under some objects, like pitch black which looks odd o_O

Best answers
ok, thats not what i meant but thanx for the info, i need to know if i can edit the BSP file and not have to recompile cause it takes to long like i saw a post on it once before and now i cant find it -_____-

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
there is a small tool called Darculator. you can edit the lightlevel in the bsp after compiling so you dont need to recompile your map.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nemecj05 said:
ok, thats not what i meant but thanx for the info, i need to know if i can edit the BSP file and not have to recompile cause it takes to long like i saw a post on it once before and now i cant find it -_____-
What do you mean then I said

!XxShAdOwxX! said:
And it has to be recompiled
But apparently you can, lucky you :]

Best answers
OK YOUR LAST POST TOTALLY CONFUSED ME (LOL) please translate and where do i get this darkukator?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basically you said that your question wasn't answered by me when infact it was even though I was wrong >.<

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom