Cell games arena spikes?

Best answers
I'm making a map for the InstaSaiyans clan and the map is based on the cell games. So the map is almost done I just need to fix the light and then there is the arena and that is what my question is about.

How do I make those spikes there is in every fourth corner?
You know, this:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I suppose you could make them with brushes (map terrain), but I think what most people would do, is make models of them (or have someone else make them) and use those in the map.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
let me get this right, youre making a map yet you do not know how to create such spikes?

thats really funny.

either model them or map them... Using 3 overlapping cones/cylinders would be the easiest thing (not the best though :p).

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2161/3conesqz3.jpg mspaint FTW o/

Best answers
Okay then. But when I make the cones/cyllinders I get the "Invalid Structure" errors...
How did you make them in your maps?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd make them entirely out of triangles brushes. The more detail you want to go into them, the more brushes you'd use.

If you want really small details, though, you're probably better off making them as models and placing them in the map as env_model entites.

Best answers
DJ-Ready said:
let me get this right, youre making a map yet you do not know how to create such spikes?

thats really funny.

either model them or map them... Using 3 overlapping cones/cylinders would be the easiest thing (not the best though :p).

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2161/3conesqz3.jpg mspaint FTW o/
Just figured out there was a tool named "Spikes", lol :laff: so I got it to work.

So thanks for the replies anyone.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The cylinders and spikes don't really fit too well together. They're shapes seem to differ each time I try to fit those two together. So use cylinders and triangles only.

*slaps ready*

That would lead to clipping brushes you vhe heretic !

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cold Steel said:
The cylinders and spikes don't really fit too well together. They're shapes seem to differ each time I try to fit those two together. So use cylinders and triangles only.

*slaps ready*

He never denied that. He just said easiest way ^^

Best answers
Cold Steel said:

*slaps ready*

I shouldn't use a cyllinder too, I should only use the spikes and that fits good enough.
But thanks anyway.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, use cylinders too. It'll cut down the polycount.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This might lower r_speeds but what I did(not the best way though) is make a cilinder, select it and the top vertices, then press alt + e, then make the size of it 0, so then the cilinder will turn into a pyramid, then just rotate it or resize or whatever to make it look better. Remember, I'm not sure if it's the best way, but it will get the job done.

Best answers
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I also made a arena for my one map, but it's for a mod, so yea, I used vertex manipulation to make it, no errors at all, WOOT! Well the behind that spike looks nice, the terrain, lol, not that you can see much, but I've seen the rest of the map! ;)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Theoboy said:
Yes that makes the job done but you also get some invalid structures. I would say the easiest way is to make a Spike with 8 sides and then just rotate them the way you want. Just make it like Ready drawed and then a little cyllinder around where the two spikes meet eachother. This is how I did it:
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/6988/spike1vs2.png
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/3200/spike2nd1.png
And so no one gets mad I put the texture credits on too: Cold Steel, DJ Ready
Nice, though of course it's weird looking since it's blocky as opposed to the pillars from the series being smooth, but it's all good. Keep up the good work!

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Theoboy said:
Yes that makes the job done but you also get some invalid structures. I would say the easiest way is to make a Spike with 8 sides and then just rotate them the way you want. Just make it like Ready drawed and then a little cyllinder around where the two spikes meet eachother. This is how I did it:
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/6988/spike1vs2.png
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/3200/spike2nd1.png
And so no one gets mad I put the texture credits on too: Cold Steel, DJ Ready
Hey, if it floats your boat, then use Ready's way instead ^^

Best answers
@Donnierisk: Thanks.
@CS: It does, and if I should say it myself I think it looks okay for a first time, maybe.

And else, thanks for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom